Dec 17, 2004, 11:09 PM
Thread OP

To prime...or not to prime

I'm ready to start painting my LEG 60" P-40 and I have one quick question.
Should I use an all purpose primer or just paint over the covering? I have covered the epp with tape then a clear iron-on film called "oz-cover" (this covering can be painted over with no preperation). I am going to be doing a basic camo scheme using spray cans (enamel) and templates.
Would it be worth puting a coat of primer on before I spray the plane? What are the pros and cons of using a primer in this situation.

Thanks for any help.
Simon.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 17, 2004, 11:46 PM
All work and no play
Pro's - primer makes it really smooth
Con's - primer flakes off so you finish wont last as long.
I give mine just a dusting of primer to "even out" the color but try to keep it light enough so it wont cause chipping. If your covering will except the paint without primer and is a neutral color I would say do not use it. Youll have a longer lasting finish.
Dec 18, 2004, 01:50 AM
Words...
To help stop the flaking action (of either the paint or primer) take a 3M pad (like you would use for dishes...I like the green ones for this purpose) and run it over the surface. This will scratch it up enough to allow the paint to adhere better. You can also get the pads at most automotive and hardware stores. The ones without the cleaning sponge are better.

Jared
Dec 18, 2004, 06:15 AM
MINE!
I heard somebody on here say to use bumper bar primer as it will flex and not peel, I have not tried it myself but....
Dec 18, 2004, 08:07 AM
Sherpa
The cracking happens when the plane doesn't land quite as softly as we hoped. When the EPP foam flexes the paint does not flex. Then the paint or primer will crack and flake off. I don't use primer.

Rick
Dec 18, 2004, 01:50 PM
PlaneCrazy
use fine steel wool before and there shouldnt be a problem
Dec 18, 2004, 02:23 PM
Detail Freak
Well there you have it- no definative answer!
I'd go with the advice given by the EPP manufacturer-
Jack at LEG. If anyone knows, it'd be him...

Good luck with your project!
Dec 18, 2004, 02:34 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
I've had good luck using Plastikote Flexible primer. This is if I'm not using the Silver covering. Paint's don't stick as well, but scuffs look like weathering on aluminum, The other Solartex's have more of a fabric weave, which I don't think looks too 'scale' on some ships, so I use the primer to fill some of the weave. It won't fill it all. The Silver is great stuff, but seems harder to find. The flexible primer is harder to sand, but you only have to scuff it to get good top coat adhesion. I've dorked my 60" 109 many times and it still looks fine.
Andy
Dec 18, 2004, 02:46 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
http://www.balsausa.com/ has miles of Solartex.... I just picked up, recieved in the mail I mean... a 5 meter roll of the Silver Solartex. I was told by one of the Masters that primer was not necessary on the low weave Silver, scuff it with (0000) steel wool, and paint.

Kevin
Dec 18, 2004, 05:28 PM
It could happen...
Don't if it still holds true, but Rustoleum paints used to be a bit more flewible than the others out there. Used to use Rustoleum on lexan R/C car bodies because it was flexible and less prone to flaking off.
Dec 18, 2004, 05:49 PM
Fun ain't cheap!
Kevin,
I keep forgetting about BalsaUSA...thanks for the heads up. Silver ROCKS man!
a covering groupie,
Droydxx
Dec 18, 2004, 06:42 PM
Tryin not to be a hack!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by droydx
Kevin,
I keep forgetting about BalsaUSA...thanks for the heads up. Silver ROCKS man!
a covering groupie,
Droydxx
Your welcome..... someone told me here, just like when I asked, I think it was That Freekin Laird Guy ..... all ya got to do is ask.

Kevin
Dec 18, 2004, 09:04 PM
Words...
As far as a definitive answer, here goes

Primer + Paint - will even out the surface to produce ultra smooth paint jobs. However, it is more brittle than paint and WILL flake if given the chance.

Paint only - Finish won't be as good as Primer + paint, but it will still look good as long as you provide enough coats and do it right. Paint is more flexible than primer so it won't flake as easily...it still can and will flake though.

Best bets for paint are those that are plastic based...like latex. 2 part paints (like car paint that requires a hardener) are much too hard and won't flex much at all, these will flake the second you hit anything!

Jared

Quick Reply