Contest

Official USA F3F Team - 2018 World Championship - Rügen, Germany

Congratulations to our new 2018 F3F Team Members::
  • Brandon Monte
  • Tim Traver
  • David Cortina
  • David Olson - Team Manager

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Warren Day sadly had to give up his spot due to work and Mehrdad Amir was unable to attend as first alternate.

The 2018 F3F World Championship will be held next Oct. 7th - 13th in Rügen, Germany. This was the site of the very first FAI F3F WC in 2012.

The Official Website is: http://wm2018.f3f.de/?page_id=269

Let me please introduce the USA F3F 2018 Team Members:
Last edited by David Olson; Jul 27, 2018 at 09:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2018, 01:15 AM
MCS / NCSS / SVSS / LSC / SAM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - Brandon Monte:

Brandon, age 51, currently resides in Riverside, Ca., about 65 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

He runs a successful Real Estate business and has been married to his wife Dawn for 24 years. He has two son’s Trevor and Brian ages 18 and 21.

He began flying RC at the age of 18. He was introduced to F3F back in 2006 and began competing shortly thereafter. Brandon was a member of the 2012, 2016, and currently 2018 USA F3F Team. He has attended F3F World Cup events in Spain, Denmark, Taiwan, and Germany.

He finished 3rd last year at the Typhoon Race in Longpan, Taiwan and achieved a personal best of 28.45 seconds.

Brandon is currently enrolled in flight training to receive his private pilot’s certificate and his interests include travel, cooking, fine wine, and hiking.
Jul 27, 2018, 01:19 AM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - Tim Traver:

Tim has been flying RC gliders since 2009 when a mutual friend let him borrow a plane. He dove in to the racing scene in Southern California and quickly learned the ropes from some of the best pilots around. He made the 2014 US F3F team that went to Slovakia, and is looking forward to more international events in the future.

He works in the internet industry, and as a hobby created the www.f3xvault.com web site to store information about our discipline and event results.

He has a daughter and a son that are both teenagers, loves to travel and meet new friends around the world.
Jul 27, 2018, 01:22 AM
Thread OP

Team Pilot - David Cortina:

David has always been interested in aviation and he has always wanted to fly anything that flies! His radio control experience started in his 20s flying light gliders on small hills in California but he waited 30 years to really get into RC flying.

In 2008 he saw people flying modern sailplanes at Torrey Pines in San Diego where he lives and was hooked from then on. David flew his first F3F race in 2009 at Torrey Pines and has been enjoying it since then.

His other interests include flying light passenger aircraft which he has been doing since 1979, he was a flight instructor and a corporate pilot in his twenties. He enjoys all water sports including fishing, sailing, surfing and diving.

David has a wife, three daughters and a granddaughter! He is in the seafood restaurant business and love's fish.
Last edited by David Olson; Jul 27, 2018 at 09:31 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 01:37 AM
Thread OP

USA Team Manager - David Olson

David lives in Santa Rosa, California, just North of San Francisco.

He discovered RC at the age of 13. Cars, his girl friend and gymnastics were big distractions so aviation was put on hold until well after college for 20 years.

He moved to San Francisco with Jean, his high school sweetheart and wife, now both together for over 50 years. He has always been in the advertising business since college. He started his own advertising company in 1996.

He became a full scale pilot, has enjoyed owning several airplanes over the years. Enjoys SCUBA diving and is an avid photographer. He enjoys fly fishing with his wife, Jean, and New Zealand and Christmas Island are two of their favorite places they have travelled. He also enjoys attending the Reno Air Races.

His passion for RC was reignited in 1989 and started to fly F3A Pattern, competed for many years until he became totally fascinated with sailplanes.

Since 2011 he has been very active in the F3F/F3B Communities, heavily involved with Team Selects, contests, fund raising, logo design and producing garments for several Teams. He was a helper on the 2015 WC F3B Team in the Netherlands and was the F3F Team Manager in Denmark in 2016.

A big highlight he had was an F3F trip to Norway last year with Ron Vann to fly in the Norway Open World Cup. They met a lot of great new friends and saw many friends from the WC in Denmark. They said it was like visiting long lost relatives in one of the most beautiful places on earth. They both said it was an very memorable trip.

Check out his YouTube Channel - with over 420 - F3F/F3B Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/Benchmark67
Last edited by David Olson; Jul 27, 2018 at 01:59 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 01:45 AM
Thread OP

F3F Team Practice........

I was asked by the Team to be the Team Manager again this cycle. I was not sure I would be able to go to Germany in Oct. since we had lost everything in the wild fires but things are calming down somewhat so I feel much better about making a commitment to the Team.

Thanks guys for having confidence in me again to be the TM, I am very honored!

The Team is trying to get up North here to fly with us at one of our Coastal venue race dates:

#6 Race: August 5th

#7 Race: Sept. 9th

#8 Race: Oct 14th (we will be returning from Germany on the 14th)

Stay tuned for more info..................
Last edited by David Olson; Jul 27, 2018 at 02:00 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 02:07 AM
Team USA F3F Member
David! Trust me when I say that we all are super happy that you could attend as Team Manager!

You give so much to the people in this sport and we love it when you can get fabulous experiences like this one in return.

Looking forward to traveling across the world with you!

Tim
Jul 27, 2018, 09:34 AM
The words sadly dont say enough. 2012 wc was trip of a lifetime, essentially couldnt have been more fun. I pray you guys get the same treatment.
Jul 27, 2018, 06:57 PM
Bummed for you Warren.

Have a great trip guys!
Jul 28, 2018, 01:22 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Tim, I am thrilled to be traveling with you guys and looking forward to, as Warren said.....to have another trip of a lifetime with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttraver
David! Trust me when I say that we all are super happy that you could attend as Team Manager!

You give so much to the people in this sport and we love it when you can get fabulous experiences like this one in return.

Looking forward to traveling across the world with you!

Tim
Jul 28, 2018, 01:30 AM
Thread OP
Just to be clear......the Team has intentions to fly in NorCal either on 8/5 or 9/9 at one of our NorCal Coastal F3F Races. Either at Fort Ross or Thornton Beach......depending on conditions.

We all know how difficult it is to schedule time away from home. Hopefully we will be able to schedule this soon but it could also not happen at all.......stay tuned............work in progress.
Sep 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

Have a safe and Fun trip.

Hello F3F Team USA,

Hope the weather turns out perfect for the race.

I think we should update David Olson's luggage?

Dave

PS: It is sad that he lost the 1940's suitcase, but I really like this picture of David. I think his smile really shows his outlook on life!
Last edited by Daveairway; Oct 03, 2018 at 04:48 PM.
Sep 29, 2018, 09:20 AM
Have a great time and all the best.
Sep 30, 2018, 12:38 PM
Good luck guys!
Sep 30, 2018, 01:50 PM
Expert Rekitter
Bring it home boys! Looking forward to seeing the live feeds!

Quick Reply