Thread Tools
Jul 26, 2018, 09:17 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Discussion

The Importance of GPS Tracker


Do you have one? Please share to me what tracking device did you use for your RC?
You are free to Comment
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2018, 08:51 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
I have used the Spektrum GPS module to locate a plane down in the corn once. The transmitter showed me the last reported location on the screen, and I plugged that into my phone and just walked to it. As I got near my DX18 reconnected and that changed the location displayed, which was about 30' from where I was.

I suppose if I had an iX12 back then it would have been even easier as I wouldn't have needed the phone to tell me my current lat/lon as I walked.

Andy
Jul 27, 2018, 05:10 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
GPS trackers are OK if you buy one that works on your networks but the cheap ones won't work in Australia as the network has closed down (2G) 3G may not be around a lot longer so if you buy a tracker it may have a limited lifespan. We have 3G, 4G, 4G+ and 5G is being introduced before much longer. However, there are still some areas where there are no networks and never will be.

The best option is something that doesn't rely on a network at all and has a range of 2 miles. You may have to get in your car and drive in the direction that your aircraft was last seen heading but no doubt you will find it.
Check out the Marco Polo Drone Finder. I am saving for one and it is no more expensive than a decent 3G - 4G network reliant tracker.

My cheapest Quads are twice the price of this thing. Well worth the insurance.
Last edited by Grantham Kid; Jul 27, 2018 at 05:15 PM.
Jul 29, 2018, 08:58 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
GPS trackers are OK if you buy one that works on your networks but the cheap ones won't work in Australia as the network has closed down (2G) 3G may not be around a lot longer so if you buy a tracker it may have a limited lifespan. We have 3G, 4G, 4G+ and 5G is being introduced before much longer. However, there are still some areas where there are no networks and never will be.

The best option is something that doesn't rely on a network at all and has a range of 2 miles. You may have to get in your car and drive in the direction that your aircraft was last seen heading but no doubt you will find it.
Check out the Marco Polo Drone Finder. I am saving for one and it is no more expensive than a decent 3G - 4G network reliant tracker.

My cheapest Quads are twice the price of this thing. Well worth the insurance.
For an area that has network what is the best tracker that will fit?
Jul 31, 2018, 05:07 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
What about other recommendations?
Jul 31, 2018, 08:02 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Many radios, such as the Spektrum I mentioned (disclaimer: I work for Spektrum), support telemetry and include GPS.

If you're flying line-of-sight, GPS telemetry is wonderful and all you really need. If your goal is to know where a UAV is outside of your visual range, please don't.

Andy
Jul 31, 2018, 11:06 AM
A man with too many toys

What's Dat?


Quote:
Originally Posted by natnatroswell22 View Post
Do you have one? Please share to me what tracking device did you use for your RC?
You are free to Comment
I have never used one. Exactly what is a GPS tracker and why do I need one. I have been flying for over 50 years and have never needed one.


.
Jul 31, 2018, 01:34 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
On our old 72MHz units it was the purpose for that long pole sticking out the top of our radios after we crashed in the corn

Andy
Jul 31, 2018, 02:36 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
On our old 72MHz units it was the purpose for that long pole sticking out the top of our radios after we crashed in the corn

Andy
You should never crash in a cone field - especially this time of year.

.
Aug 02, 2018, 05:52 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I have never used one. Exactly what is a GPS tracker and why do I need one. I have been flying for over 50 years and have never needed one.


.
The purpose of tracking device is you can easily find your lost RC or Drone from fly away tendencies and accidents.
Aug 02, 2018, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Many radios, such as the Spektrum I mentioned (disclaimer: I work for Spektrum), support telemetry and include GPS.

If you're flying line-of-sight, GPS telemetry is wonderful and all you really need. If your goal is to know where a UAV is outside of your visual range, please don't.

Andy
What about having 3G GPS tracking device?
Aug 02, 2018, 07:28 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Grantham Kid's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by natnatroswell22 View Post
What about having 3G GPS tracking device?
You haven't read the previous posts have you.
Aug 02, 2018, 08:37 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by natnatroswell22 View Post
What about having 3G GPS tracking device?
Well, let's see...

3G isn't available everywhere. Nor is 4G. Some places out here you can drive for miles with no signal at all, and that's over flat ground. Farmers often fly below 500' AGL in full-scale planes over their crops. You can't see and avoid if you can't see.

It's even more likely in a mountainous region that you won't have signal near the ground.

In both those sorts of places, though, your line-of-sight system will work, and you'll have telemetry data to know the last reported location and can work from there.

Andy
Aug 05, 2018, 11:39 PM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grantham Kid View Post
You haven't read the previous posts have you.
Yes sir i haven't sorry for this


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product New small GPS Tracker guyst FPV Talk 11 Nov 11, 2019 10:48 PM
Discussion gps tracker needed roostnureye DIY Electronics 13 Nov 03, 2015 12:33 PM
Question Adding a GPS tracker to a Quad MrBlades Multirotor Drone Talk 2 Oct 10, 2015 06:01 AM