Jul 26, 2018, 08:41 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

IMAC - Questions and Answers

I thought I would open a thread in the hopes of being able to attract those pilots who are interested in flying precision, but really don't know where to start, and may be put off by the idea that anything less than a 35% is non competitive. Even those of you who are "stick bangers" will benefit, as IMAC is very dependent on aircraft set up, and there's a lot to learn about how to truly get an airplane trimmed for precision or 3D. We (as I am sure others will join in) can answer questions on how to read Aresti, what to expect at your first contest....blah blah blah....Anyway, we'll see where this goes...

Here is the link to the current sequences and AMA Scale Aerobatics Rules

http://www.mini-iac.org/Downloads

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/...s2017-2018.pdf

Paul
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2018, 01:36 AM
Very cool indeed Paul! I've been working up to getting out to some events, and that's my goal to at least get in a few next year. This year is probably not going to happen, but I've now delved into the basic sequences, and have been working with some seasoned competitors from my area.

I'm not in a great position for traveling right now, and the events are 2 day events, but that's part of my planning and gearing up... but until that happens...

What I have been flying is my trusty Midwest 27% Extra300. It's coming along well actually. I built it specifically for IMAC back in 2002 and life changed, but I kept the plane and updated everything last year.

I can say this... even though I've flown RC for 40yrs, the IMAC sequences and how they're flown is one of the biggest challenges I've had. As I'd said I've been working with some IMAC veterans, and we've had quite a few informal sessions, and informal critiquing and judging, so I have at least some idea of what to expect... but it's so challenging... and I've found I really like the "purposeful" and precision flying aspect.... as well as trying to get my plane trimmed and set-up. I thought it was perfect... ha.. well.. I've got alot to learn man.

So Paul, do you know when the new sequences come out?.. I've been a bit curious lately, as I've been working on 2018's basic sequence. Is that one that changes slightly every year?.... and do they all change every year?... Just curious how that aspect works.

So yeah.. we'll see how this thread goes. There's not much of anything on IMAC here on RCG. This could be cool.

Dale
Jul 27, 2018, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Hi Dale....Not sure when the 2019 sequences will be published, it's usually a little later in the year. the sequences are changed annually, and with basic that's often just a reshuffling of a the figures, with slight changes. One of the message I want to convey to all that read this is that whether or not one competes or stays in competition, precision will make you a better pilot and those skills never leave. I remember seeing my first MW 300..it seems so big!

Last time I was in Clovis I ate at Cool Hand Luke's...!
Jul 27, 2018, 11:16 AM
Ha... Cool Hand Lukes!. Pretty nice little place. If you're in the area again, and you like Italian type food, you've got to try Luna's. A homegrown long time local restaurant with the best food on the planet!

Yes, when I built my MW300 it was one of the larger planes in the club. It was at the time when the engines were getting better every day. I put a BME50 in it, got the weight down during the build, and ended up with a 15lb 50cc plane, as it sits even today 16yrs later.

Now when I take it to the field it's dwarfed by several Giants. It's small compared to a 150cc class plane.... even compared to a 100cc plane it's small... especially sitting around with several giants, it's like "who's cute little Extra is that?"... haha. I'm still very proud of my efforts with it, and there's not many pilots that build their own(at least around here), and the fact that I built it so long is pretty cool too. I always love the old classics, planes, cars, motorcycles, timeless works of art right.

Right now on my bench is a Great Planes 33% Extra 330L that a very nice friend gifted me(actually gave me 2 of those monsters). It's in the "finish" stages, as it's a very clean plane, and I'm hoping to do a quick thread on it's "finishing" when I get it close to completion. Someone built it(I do believe out of Colorado, based on a few stickers it has),

My hope is somebody might be able to ID the builder, as whomever built it was a master... It's a very worthy "classic" that from what I can tell has never flown. If the original builder is still with us somewhere, I'm sure he would want to know where his creation is today. I know I would. It was a great effort to build it, and now it's getting some due attention. The framing on this plane is second to none.

I'm now installing a BME 102, and all current electronics, as well as doing a few things graphically... I hope to fly it by the Fall, but I'm in no hurry. That plane will be my 100cc entry into IMAC when the time arises... and if it's up to the task(I'm betting it will outfly me easily).

The 330L was going to be a next build after my MW300S and then life changed(as it does sometimes), and I wasn't in a position to build large planes(it does take quite a bit of room), so I shelved the idea... and actually put my 300S away for years. Early this year when I was out flying my 300S again, my friend approached me with the 330L's, as he liked my 300S so much he wanted me to have the 300L's and make them fly! It was one of the coolest gifts a fellow club member has ever given me!... So... The 330L also became a goal, and it just might work into my plan as well. Both the 300S and the 330L are kit builts, and should prove to be a very worthy pair, and give me some new challenges in the future... and IMAC will be the path I take with them. They are competition ships no doubt.

I've always tried my best in building as well... and consider that every bit as important as the precision flying, both take alot of time to perfect, and there's always areas of improvement to try and attain.
Jul 27, 2018, 11:41 AM
Paul, I'm sure you and I have at least a few friends in common, and I've gleaned alot of info from them, as they compete regularly all over the place.

I'm going to revisit those links you posted, as those are great resources for info. I'm curious as to when the "season" starts, and will watch for the scheduling and locations of next years events. Not that I could make them all(my friends rarely miss an event), but at least I might be able to tentatively make plans.

I actually realized last year there's IMAC events going on nearly every month all within a few hours drive(give or take)... which makes it nice. I'd not followed the organization for several years, but when I recommisioned my 300S I started getting very curious again.

Our local club (Fresno Radio Modelers) used to hold events of all sorts, but in the last few years has drastically changed(I'm sure we've chatted in other threads about it), so that's what got me looking around at IMAC events in my area. We now have another local club forming that many of us have high hopes for, in the way of a site that we can fly anything, as well as host events for our local flyers. ... but until that happens, I'm working towards branching out a bit with my own planes. That's my goal at this point, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the ride and my old classics.
Jul 27, 2018, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Dale, I am up to Yosemite a few times a year and generally come through 41. Next trip is Labor Day, although I will have my fiancée and father with me so I probably won't get to play. I'm also a scale sailplane guy and I might come up in October to Visalia. GP Extra is a nice plane and the BMEs are strong motors. Should be a nice combo. Back in 2000 or so I really couldn't afford the big stuff, so I had to make do with a 29% AW Edge with a BME 44. It was a mere 14lbs! The active IMAC regions are north California by the coast, southern Cal down by me, Az, and Colo. We probably do know some of the same guys as I used to fly with some of the Nor Cal guys, and some of the So Cal guys go to Nor Cal events.
Jul 30, 2018, 10:36 AM
"I will return" Federico
I grew up in Southern California and started flying power planes at the Apollo XI airfield in the San Fernando Valley. Watching the pattern guys fly precision aerobatics there is what got me interested in competing, but it took another three decades before I was finally in a position to give it a try.

For those sport pilots who are on the fence about getting into competition, or what they might get out of flying IMAC, I just wrote a little piece on why I fly IMAC. You can read it here.
Jul 30, 2018, 11:03 AM
rclad, that's very interesting! It's very much what I've been looking for as well, and I'm looking forward to my first event as soon as the opportunity presents itself... more-like as soon I make the opportunity.. haha.. It will definitely happen.

If the events were closer to me (like they once were) I would participate now, no doubt about it. I was mainly a sport flyer that flew giants when the IMAC events were held near me, and really didn't have an interest in competing. I was doing exactly what you describe in your blog. It was fun and all, and it will always be, but I'm more hooked on the purposeful flying these days. It makes a difference. People notice. I'm convinced of that.

I notice a certain "drive" many of the much better pilots have, that is always a common thread I see and admire. Very cool man.
Jul 30, 2018, 11:16 AM
I found the video in your blog mesmerizing!
Jul 30, 2018, 12:34 PM
"I will return" Federico
Thanks. The tribute to Renaud Ecalle is inspiring, but also sad. He and his entire family died when the plane he was flying (not his Extra) crashed in bad weather. When I practice in bad weather the most I have to lose is my plane, but so far that has not been an issue.
Jul 30, 2018, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
If there is an RC equivalent of dodgeball, it's flying at Apollo field! Also, a great write up.
Last edited by koppterX; Jul 30, 2018 at 04:31 PM.
Jul 30, 2018, 04:47 PM
"I will return" Federico
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppterX
If there is an RC equivalent of dodgeball, it's flying at Apollo field! Also, a great write up.
Thanks, and no kidding! On a busy day the sky was full of planes, both model and full scale. Van Nuys airport is nearby, as well Burbank airport for the commercial jets. My first mid-air flying a power plane (0.60 glow Super Chipmunk) happened there. (I got started flying slope planes.) But I liked the runway and pit area.
Jul 30, 2018, 07:55 PM
I need to look at accomodations and available hotels/etc.. That is a big reason why I don't compete outside of my area. I have a small van-conversion that hauls my planes, gear, wife(if she wants to go), my own pop-up, table, etc(ice-chest, etc)..

I need to look for, or inquire about accomodations in the areas of events. I know I can get up early, set-up, fly, chit-chat, then get rest in a hotel(with all gear packed/stowed), and get up and do it all over again.. for a few days..

Since I don't have an "Oh My God" type RV set up at this point, the above is what I'm thinking..

So how do you guys that don't have Oh My God RV/Camp set-ups do it?

I'd love to know. Thanks.
Jul 30, 2018, 09:03 PM
"I will return" Federico
I just set up a tent and camp out for the weekend. Saves on hotel fees, and if the weather isn't too fierce (thunderstorms) I can keep my plane in the tent with me, so I only have to assemble it once.

Quick Reply