This thread is privately moderated by pcoromelas, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 26, 2018, 02:23 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Newest Project - Nosen P51

My newest project. A Bud Nosen P51 Mustang. G62 in the Ol Yeller Scheme. This will be a restoration project.

I am keeping this thread closed if you have any questions or comments please feel free to message me.
Last edited by pcoromelas; Oct 25, 2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: CHanged
to remove ads between posts
Oct 20, 2019, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
So a lot of time has passed, work has gotten in the way of fun most of the time but I have been working on the Nosen Mustang. I purchased this from the widow of one of our club members and it was in flying condition when I did get it but just barely. See added pictures. When you look at the wing look close at the wheel wells and find the yellow duct tape. Looked like a few to many hard landings. The front end was butchered to get the G62 in it and t\he additional green to coverup other repairs. But still overall a very solid airplane.
Oct 20, 2019, 10:28 AM
Thread OP
At first I was just going to fix up the big stuff and just fly her. Then my OCD kicked in and said no. So the motor came off and with that I saw things I didn't like. A member of my club offered to rebuild it for me and of course I said yes. I have since decided that the G62 was not a good choice for me and now have a DLE85 going in. So after checking out the inside of the nose I am sill not sure if this was in a crash. No indication from the inside any repairs just the minor imperfections on the outside. Taking off the green was fun used acetone and some fans but finally got it off. After a few weeks of trying I caved in and purchased a cowl from F.S. and now have a plane that looks like Mustang.
Last edited by pcoromelas; Oct 25, 2019 at 09:05 AM.
Oct 20, 2019, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Next I was looking at body and fills. I decided that the RA Bob Hoover scheme needed to go. But still staying with Bob I am going with the Rockwell Intl scheme. I had Callie Graphics do the vinyl they look great! So with taking off the old graphics and looking to fill I had to fix the servo trays in the tail. The previous owner had changed the servos from the big full scale to standard size and just put a cover over it. Once again OCD takes over and said NO. So I fixed that and I had no choice but to take off the canopy and put in a cockpit. so that took awhile to get off and then get the area ready for a new one. I also decided to add a retractable tail wheel. The one he had was ok but OCD takes over.. I added some pictures of the plane on its wheels to make sure the new tail wheel was at the right height.
Last edited by pcoromelas; Oct 25, 2019 at 09:04 AM.
Oct 20, 2019, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
Wing was next. Had to gut the old support hard wood for new and redo the sheeting and gear doors I also added the inner door covers. I got a cool gear door sequencer too.
Oct 25, 2019, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
I wanted to hide the switches and stuff so...
Oct 25, 2019, 08:57 AM
Thread OP
I have started putting her back together.. slow process between work and because I thought I had purchased parts I needed or maybe I did but cant find them so I reordering them Robart stuff.. Getting all the wiring neat and secure, got the tank and batteries at CG the batteries may need to move for balance.

I'm I no rush to finish. I'm just enjoying the time spent working on a plane. This is the longest any one plane has taken me. Almost a year and half. But then again I wasn't able to dedicate time like I had before.

I will post pictures this weekend of the current state she is in.
Nov 01, 2019, 09:05 AM
Thread OP
Here are some pictures on the internal stuff...
Nov 09, 2019, 02:53 PM
Thread OP
Added some details today.. Starting to shape up...
Dec 07, 2019, 05:03 PM
Thread OP
Got some work done today. Glued the canopy on. Setup some black screws to hold it in place and should look really good when the graphics are on. Also did some cutting of the spinner. Once I get the cowl in place I'll be able to tap the spinner in its final spot and then paint.
Dec 29, 2019, 06:00 PM
Thread OP
Got more done this holiday break. Painted the spinner and put it on the plane. Now its starting to look good. Soon the graphics then I will start to get the excitement to fly her.
Jan 01, 2020, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
Graphics are on thanks to Callie Graphics!!
Apr 19, 2020, 04:15 PM
Thread OP
Well.. Today she is on her own wheels. Took awhile to get to this point. A lot was how was I going to do this by myself. Being this is the biggest airplane I have ever put together It became a challenge. I made a stand that I could mount the wing without having to be upside down allowing me to just lift it off the stand after the wing is on. So here she is. All that is truly left is to balance her and run the motor then.... Fly!!!

Quick Reply