Jul 26, 2018, 07:02 AM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Contest

2018 SKSS Blue Hen ALES Challenge

Silent Knight Soaring Society (SKSS)
Blue Hen ALES Challenge
Newark, Delaware
September 15th & 16th, 2018

Come join us September 15th & 16th for the fifth annual Blue Hen ALES Challenge in Newark, Delaware! The contest will be held at the beautiful and recently-renovated SKSS flying field in Delaware's White Clay Creek State Park, located less than ten minutes from the center of Newark.

Novice pilots: Novice pilots are welcome and can fly for free! (A Novice pilot is someone who has competed in no more than one previous electric soaring contest.) If you've never competed, bring an electric sailplane and have some fun! If you don't have an altitude limiter, we'll have a spare or two for you to borrow.

Prizes: Trophies will be awarded for 1st through 5th place plus "Best Foamie" each day, and there will be a "Grand Champion" award for the weekend.

Flying: Flight groups will be man-on-man (non-seeded). Launch height and flight time will be at the CD's discretion each day. Unless conditions are extremely bad, we will launch to 150 meters and fly 10 minute rounds. Landing tapes are 5 meters long, 50 points max.

Food: Chef Ed will providing lunch both days. A donation is requested.

Camping: Camping will be allowed for a small fee. No open fires or alcohol are permitted in the park. The field has a port-a-potty, but there are no other facilities or hook-ups. (But if you have a really long extension cord, you can charge batteries from the clubhouse.)

Parking: The state park has waived the parking fee this year. Yay!

Location: The field is on Smith Mill Road in White Clay Creek State Park. Field lat/long for your GPS is (39.728124,-75.732973).

Lodging: As a college town, Newark has a lot of motels, including a brand-new Marriott SpringHill Suites. There is a football game (UDel vs Cornell) on Saturday, but there should still be ample lodging.

Other amenities: Newark suffers from an embarrassment of restaurants and bars. The Deer Park Tavern, Home Grown Cafe, Grain Craft Bar, Iron Hill Brewery, and Klondike Kate's are just a few of the delightful establishments awaiting your patronage. And if the two miles to Newark's Main Street is too far for you to drive, McGlynn's Pub is only a mile from the field.

Fee summary:
Contest: $35 for two days, $20 for one day; novices fly free
Camping: $30 per tent or RV for the entire weekend
Lunch: a donation is requested
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2018, 10:15 AM
AMA 7224
Signed up. Your Paypal link is messed up, I'll just pay at field
Latest blog entry: Phoenix Models 90" J-3
Aug 03, 2018, 07:39 AM
Is practice flying allowed on Friday.
Aug 07, 2018, 02:50 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymey
Is practice flying allowed on Friday.
Yes, practice flying will be allowed. I will be at the field by 0930 on Friday to make sure the gate is open.

This is a good time to mention the state park's new rule about field access. There is a free-swinging gate across the access road to the field which MUST REMAIN CLOSED. To get to/from the field, (1) stop at the gate; (2) get out and push the gate open; (3) drive through the gate and stop; (4) get out and close the gate; and (5) proceed to the field. We're not thrilled about the rule, but we have to conform to it. Please do the same.

-- Walt
Sep 08, 2018, 04:03 PM
ET
All right Boys!

Time to put those batteries on charge. The contest is next weekend.

Be there!!
Sep 12, 2018, 01:47 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!

Weather or not to fly this weekend

Looks like we dodged a bullet this weekend. The forecast was looking pretty grim, but the last storm track prediction puts Florence farther south -- there's only a very small chance of rain in Newark on Saturday and Sunday. Winds are forecast around 10mph both days.

Here's hoping the forecast doesn't change again...

-- Walt
Sep 12, 2018, 06:01 PM
Walt
It looks like the contest might happen. My question is how it the field? Is it ok to bring my RV ? Or is the ground real soft from all the rain? I don't want to put ruts on your field.

-Steve
Sep 12, 2018, 11:36 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrcpa
Walt
It looks like the contest might happen. My question is how it the field? Is it ok to bring my RV ? Or is the ground real soft from all the rain? I don't want to put ruts on your field.

-Steve
I'll drop by the field tomorrow and check again, but I think you'll be OK. Unless we get a bunch more rain before Saturday, the only place that might be a little soft is right at the gate. Use the first gate (the one farther from the clubhouse) -- the opening is a lot wider.

I don't want to tempt fate or anything, but the weekend forecast keeps getting better. High pressure (over 30.10) and mostly sunny and mild temperatures all weekend, with a negligible (<10%) chance of rain.

I'm already looking forward to the beer at McGlynn's Saturday night.

-- Walt
Sep 13, 2018, 09:31 AM
I am also planing to bring my trailer. I guess the lower gate will be open for us? Looks like it might be a bit wet on Friday - I plan to be there noonish.
Thanks
Kerry
Sep 13, 2018, 10:47 AM
ET
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
I guess the lower gate will be open for us? Thanks
Kerry
The lower gate has been taken apart to allow farm equipment to enter, so it is permanently open. At least until the park gets around to replacing it.
Sep 13, 2018, 10:55 AM
ET
Hi Guys,

As you turn onto Smith Mill Road you'll see a brown swing gate across the road. If you are coming to fly you are authorized to come through but the park requires us to keep the gate closed. So please close it after you pass and if it's open when you get there still close it. It keeps the park gods happy.

After you pass the swing gate the lower gate onto the field is for large vehicles. If you can use the normal gate, that's the second gate on the right. Hopefully this will cause the least damage to our water logged field.

The road beyond the swing gate is considered a park trail. There might be walkers and bikers so please drive carefully.

Looking for forward to the weekend!
Last edited by eteet; Sep 13, 2018 at 12:20 PM.
Sep 13, 2018, 02:54 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc4fun
I am also planing to bring my trailer. I guess the lower gate will be open for us? Looks like it might be a bit wet on Friday - I plan to be there noonish.
Thanks
Kerry
I just went over to check on field conditions.

If you're coming in the lower gate, stay all the way to the left -- the right side of the entrance has a soft wet spot. (The lower gate is permanently open, and much wider than the other gate, so it is preferred for you camper and trailer guys.)

Most of you will want to come in the normal (farther? upper?) gate. There is one large pothole just inside that gate. It's easy to drive around if you're paying attention.

Otherwise, the field is plenty firm enough to drive on.

-- Walt
Sep 14, 2018, 11:28 AM
ET

Shameless advertising intrusion.

Hi Guys,

I'm selling a Validol DLG and I'll have it at the contest for all to see and fondle.

And at a special contest price.

Eric
Sep 15, 2018, 11:04 PM
De Chelonian Mobile!

Saturday results

Pleasant flying today -- cool, mostly cloudy, with winds 5-10mph from the ENE. After the first round, lift was generally good, with just a couple of heats where pilots struggled to make their time.

Final results for Saturday are attached.

-- Walt
Sep 16, 2018, 07:04 PM

Some Contest Video

Here are some short videos from today...

Low Ceiling (0 min 26 sec)

2018 SKSS ALES Launch (0 min 40 sec)

Low Battery Warning (0 min 35 sec)

Quick Reply