Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by mwhidden, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 24, 2018, 09:18 PM
MA, USA
Thread OP
Build Log

Mark's Models Wanderer (1976 Balsa Glider Kit) - Part 11


At this point I'm starting to feel like this thing is going to fly. It's no longer an abstract pile of sticks, but it's a plane.

I've finished covering the wing. I did the bottom surfaces of the inner wing first. After affixing them I press the wing flat to the table and hit the Monokot with a heat gun to tension it flat. I shouldn't have tacked the Monokote to the ribs before I did that, but it seems to have been OK. Next I did the tops of the inner wings, and repeated the heat gun shrink while the panels were flat to the table.

When I started the outer wing panels, I had learned that I should not tack the Monokote to the ribs, but only to the edges, before shrinking the film. Following the advice of the Dynaflite version of this model, I place a 1/4" shim under the outboard trailing edge of the tip panels, and pressed down on the inboard leading edge while shrinking the film to introduce a "washout" at the tips, to prevent tip stalls. I then tacked the film to the ribs. I repeated this process for both the top and bottom of each panel.

I also built the push rods. A hobby store employee recommended some plastic push rods that ride in plastic sleeves, but folks on the Balsa Builders forum here on RC Groups pointed out that for sailplanes, that much plastic will expand and contract with temperature and make the plane hard to keep trimmed. So I went with the hardwood push rods as specified in the plans.
Last edited by mwhidden; Jul 24, 2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Added one more image.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts


Quick Reply
Message:
Thread Tools