Jan 28, 2021, 08:06 AM
How high will it go?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfish
Tried printing Fuse Sec 4 using GCode in the PETG zip file, but nozzle hit print when travelling across to start another layer and knocked it off build plate. Sliced STL for Fuse Sec4 in Cura and trying that now. will update.
Use zHop
to remove ads between posts
Jan 29, 2021, 05:10 PM

Cura Issues

I attempted to print the Fuse Sec4 PETG Gcode using Cura, but stringing and blobs are causing print failure on my Creality CR6SE printer. Is there a way to somehow tweak the settings (e.g., retraction, Zhop, coast, etc...) on these Gcodes so that I can fix the blob/stringing issues?

I tried to open the .stl file in Cura so that I could play with settings before slicing, but the sliced output is missing the internal supports.

Any help appreciated. Im trying to avoid paying ~$150 for Simplify3d (Im a tight wad)!
Jan 30, 2021, 02:39 AM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
I've had Simplify3D for years and I'm now heading back to Cura because it seems Cura is giving me more control/better results these days.
Cura is doing lots of updates ... Simplify3D isnt
Jan 30, 2021, 12:14 PM

Cura cured!

To keep internal structures from being removed when using Cura, in "Mesh Fixes" uncheck the "Union Overlapping Volumes" button! Now I can slice LocalFiend's stl files in Cura (v4.8 I'm using) and adjust print settings without losing his internal support structures. Bravo!

(wish I would have googled the issue earlier!)
Jan 31, 2021, 12:19 AM

Cura Cured, Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfish
To keep internal structures from being removed when using Cura, in "Mesh Fixes" uncheck the "Union Overlapping Volumes" button! Now I can slice LocalFiend's stl files in Cura (v4.8 I'm using) and adjust print settings without losing his internal support structures. Bravo!

(wish I would have googled the issue earlier!)
Note: the above works for ONE object on the build plate. If you are slicing 2 or more objects, like several wing parts together, in the Cura "Mesh" settings you also have to set "Merged Meshes Overlap" to 0 mm to have internal structures show up.....like ribs inside wings.

FYI, Im now printing great PETG parts of LocalFiend's masterpiece in cura, by slicing his .stl files with my settings tweaked for PETG. No blobs, no stringing. I will say these parts feel very fragile. I guess once assembled they will be plenty strong..... I did print the front 2 fuselage pieces with 3 layer walls(instead of 1 layer), and added 5% infill to sections 3 and 4 since these parts will take the brunt of a crash. The rest are per LocalFiend's specs, one layer walls with his internal bracing. Looking forward to assembly. Printing now.
Apr 03, 2021, 11:14 PM

Maiden Success

Got mine in the air.

Red is PETG, black is PLA. Running iNav and the DJI FPV system.

Absolutely beautiful design.

Maiden flew well, throws weren't quite enough so I'll tweak that for next time.

Like some other people my motor mount melted during flight. So I'll look at making one out of wood instead.

Apr 05, 2021, 04:52 AM
Will it ever happen
Hi notamedclosed, thatís a lovely looking colour, I only had white, but like youíll be doing, I made a wood insert to fix the motor in place and ran the power leads to the rear of the fuse to enable an easy change out of the motor. It does look a bit weird though.
Iíd be interested in the elevon throws you end up with, I have a F411 Wing FC to install with INAV.
Apr 05, 2021, 06:06 PM
Maiden video:

Northern Pike Maiden (1 min 39 sec)

I ran my ESC to the back as well and embedded it in the frame. Mines running iNav as well but it's a bit of a hack job. The FC was originally in a 7" quad of mine that went for a swim in the same lake you see in the maiden video. Same Caddx Vista too. The vista works fine, the FC has some issues. VBAT is somehow corroded and unusable, so the 8v regulator was dead, the voltage sensing was dead. and signal 1 and 2 were dead. I had to make a voltage divider and custom inav firmware to use the airspeed ADC for voltage and S7 for the motor.

Voltage divider

Major hackjob on this poor water damaged FC

Modified the nose for the Vista.
Apr 13, 2021, 04:46 AM
Will it ever happen

With Matek F411 Wing and INAV 2.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golluk

Know if anyone has put a flight controller on one of these?
I know the question was asked awhile ago😏

My son and I will attempt a maiden tonight with 4S lipo, HQ 6x4 tri-prop and EMax 2306 2400kV.

Just out of COVID lockdown in England so can fly again.
Apr 14, 2021, 01:53 PM
3D Printing Maniac
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMenter
I know the question was asked awhile ago��

My son and I will attempt a maiden tonight with 4S lipo, HQ 6x4 tri-prop and EMax 2306 2400kV.

Just out of COVID lockdown in England so can fly again.
I may be too late, but don't use a triblade prop with that setup. You'll smoke the motor, esc, or both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notamedclosed
Maiden video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6YW43dhcIc

I ran my ESC to the back as well and embedded it in the frame. Mines running iNav as well but it's a bit of a hack job. The FC was originally in a 7" quad of mine that went for a swim in the same lake you see in the maiden video. Same Caddx Vista too. The vista works fine, the FC has some issues. VBAT is somehow corroded and unusable, so the 8v regulator was dead, the voltage sensing was dead. and signal 1 and 2 were dead. I had to make a voltage divider and custom inav firmware to use the airspeed ADC for voltage and S7 for the motor.

Voltage divider

Major hackjob on this poor water damaged FC

Modified the nose for the Vista.
Awesome Job man.
Apr 17, 2021, 11:19 AM
Will it ever happen

Good maiden flight sad landing

Hi localfiend, thanks for the heads up on the tri-blade I swapped it out before the maiden flight.

The Pike flew extremely well with iNav 2.4 and the Matek F411 Wing, my son was the test pilot I forgot to tell him it comes into land at a lick. My guess it hit the deck at about 40km/hr, lumpy uncut grass, the wing tip caught and ripped and tore off the wing, part of the fuse and the nose. At that speed based on good ole Issac Newton's laws there was about 73kgf acting on the wing tip. Unfortunately it was not easily repaired. But testament to your great design the plane did not totally crumble into pieces. Piccie below and the PID settings from iNAV. The Pike was very stable and agile with these settings from glide to top speed.
Apr 17, 2021, 03:00 PM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Thats was a pretty good result for a 3D print, usually they end up in a million pieces, especailly at that speed!
Thanks for the Inav pIds, very useful as I intend to build one with inav installed.
Apr 18, 2021, 11:45 AM
Will it ever happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbrickman
Thats was a pretty good result for a 3D print, usually they end up in a million pieces, especailly at that speed!
Thanks for the Inav pIds, very useful as I intend to build one with inav installed.
You are welcome - true about the bits "Fly once, then re-print" often applies.

Quick Reply