Sep 13, 2019, 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
The smaller version will take pretty much the same amount of time to print if you also scale the layer heights. The 36" version takes an 8mm round carbon spar. The 27" version has room for an 6mm spar, but I would not bother. I think on the small plane, all a spar is going to do is add weight. It'l be way more than strong enough without one. That's probably also the case for the big plane.

I would not print the small or big planes with two perimeters. It would certainly be stronger, but you're also doubling the amount of plastic, and that's a massive amount of weight for a smaller plane like this. The plane would probably still fly, but launching would be a bit of a pain, and performance would really suffer. You might also have to add a ton of nose weight to get the plane to balance.
Thanks for answering these question again i know almost zero regarding 3d printing so i will hope my friend understands how to only print one perimeter and not two..question do parts need to be sanded before glued normally? and what is the total amount of filiment used to complete? over 16 oz? Thanks again ...PS this will be my very first forward swept wing delta type pusher...can you tell me why a forward swept wing is beneficial ? thax
Last edited by hate2crash; Sep 13, 2019 at 12:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 13, 2019, 01:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash
.can you tell me why a forward swept wing is beneficial ? thax
They maintain airflow over their surfaces at steeper climb angles than conventional planes, which means the nose can point higher without the aircraft going into a dangerous stall. This allows a much wider flight speed envelope. You can crank it up and scare the neighbors -- then land gentle like a feather.
Sep 13, 2019, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
They maintain airflow over their surfaces at steeper climb angles than conventional planes, which means the nose can point higher without the aircraft going into a dangerous stall. This allows a much wider flight speed envelope. You can crank it up and scare the neighbors -- then land gentle like a feather.
Wow! thats reason enough to want this bird in my hanger... thanks
Sep 13, 2019, 03:56 PM
The 27" print time can be much longer...if you print two right wings like I just did

(oh well, have a spare now.. hope I don't need it)
Sep 13, 2019, 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
The 27" print time can be much longer...if you print two right wings like I just did

Well now you have a spare buddy...lol any idea on how much material it takes to print a pike?? i am researching printers and filliment as i speak... each roll of PETG is 2.2 lbs....thanks and happy building!
Sep 13, 2019, 08:05 PM
Can anyone tell me how much a complete PETG PIKE airframe weighs? or can you make 2 airframe from a 2.2 lb roll??? i don't think there is any waste material which is very cool...i am trying to figure out cost for material... thanks
Sep 14, 2019, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Yep. I use simplify3d. For parts with servo horns I generally go with 5 perimeters for the first few millimeters. I also add one bottom layer, or cover the areas on the bottom that need to be strong with a helper disc.
How are you attaching control surfaces to wing??? Glue hinges or tape.. thinking 3 or 4 1''nylon hinges glued on would be best. for the 27'' version .. thax
Sep 14, 2019, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Maidened!

Flew great! Straight out. Had a 1/2 elevon of reflex but trimmed it out almost immediately (cg behind the etched markings).
After that it was super stable and not too bad on the speed.
All those in the pits were amazed at how it flew and had to keep pawing it over when they looked at it.

The blue disappeared basically at launch but the green looked quite nice with the sun relecting off it.

Had a GForce 2835x2400 w/a 6x4 and 4s 2600ma all the way forward.

Great Design. Thanks!
Very Cool...so after it was trimmed it had barely any reflex when flying in line? also is this the 36'' or 27'' one... I am thinking that same power system with a 4s 2200 batt and a 6x5 apc would be perfect for the 27'' version... thax
Sep 15, 2019, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash
How are you attaching control surfaces to wing??? Glue hinges or tape.. thinking 3 or 4 1''nylon hinges glued on would be best. for the 27'' version .. thax
metal wire (like pushrod) or CF . See picture.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page
metal wire (like pushrod) or CF . See picture.
i guess after i have parts i will figure all this out... thanks
Sep 16, 2019, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Maidened!

Flew great! Straight out. Had a 1/2 elevon of reflex but trimmed it out almost immediately (cg behind the etched markings).
After that it was super stable and not too bad on the speed.
All those in the pits were amazed at how it flew and had to keep pawing it over when they looked at it.

The blue disappeared basically at launch but the green looked quite nice with the sun relecting off it.

Had a GForce 2835x2400 w/a 6x4 and 4s 2600ma all the way forward.

Great Design. Thanks!
I have a G force 2400 and it gets hot after just a couple of minutes tests with 3s 1000 amh 30c battery... No prop.... just holding with pliers... I tested my 28 36 2350k from HK the same test and it does not even get warm...I have same HK motor running in my zeta Blaze with 70 amp esc 3s 2200 and 6x5 prop and after a flight when i land its cool as can be.... the price for HK is almost double around $23... vs G force $12... but what a difference ! I also run a gforce 2835 1200kv in my glider and when i land is very hot ( 155 degrees) ...just don't get it..
Sep 16, 2019, 10:21 PM
" is this the 36'' or 27'' one'

36" printing a 27" now...
Sep 20, 2019, 03:23 PM
Thread OP
I sent one of these to Peter Sripol so he could do a little destructive airframe testing.

I'm in an area where rockets are a serious fire hazard. Fortunately Ohio has a lot more green stuff, and Peter was nice enough to put it to the test.

GIANT RC ROCKET PLANE!! 3D printed (15 min 7 sec)
Sep 20, 2019, 03:28 PM
Quote:
I sent one of these to Peter Sripol so he could do a little destructive airframe testing.

I'm in an area where rockets are a serious fire hazard. Fortunately Ohio has a lot more green stuff, and Peter was nice enough to put it to the test.

https://youtu.be/4PII917Yd-k
I saw that video. Pretty awesome. Especially that final...rapid unscheduled disassembly (to use the technical rocket terms ).
Sep 21, 2019, 08:16 AM
Maintain Thine Airspeed !
Quote:

Sod's says you will smash the left wing

Quick Reply