Aug 03, 2018, 05:58 PM
MorganTech
Nice build, can't wait to see it screaming across the skies.

Here is an idea that might be the safest until you get the CG dialed in.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2018, 06:03 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
All the cool kids use an atlatl.
It requires years of practice but after that you can kill a mammoth!

The vertical poles sound good, somehow I feel that bird deserves some fancy launching mechanism...
Aug 04, 2018, 12:25 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Got the new spar structures done last night.
Man, that is a lot of spars and holes. Have you found a way to automate the process? I am looking for a way to automate something similar using Rhino5.
Aug 04, 2018, 03:20 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric-2000
Nice build, can't wait to see it screaming across the skies.

Here is an idea that might be the safest until you get the CG dialed in.
Are there any plans for this? I've wanted to build one of these for a while!

Ricky
Aug 04, 2018, 05:32 PM
MorganTech
No plans, I found this on a google search. With a visit to HomeDepot or Lowes you could acquire most of the parts. You can use a heat gun to make the sweeps on the PVC tubing, use some EPP foam to make the wing cradle and a couple old 3"-4" tires for the tricycle gear.
Aug 04, 2018, 06:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
Man, that is a lot of spars and holes. Have you found a way to automate the process? I am looking for a way to automate something similar using Rhino5.
Nope, still all done by hand. I can think of some ways that scripts could help, but I still think a human touch is probably better. Too many places where deciding to put a hole depends on print angles and potential strength issues.
Aug 06, 2018, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
So, I ran out of CA yesterday, but have more coming. Should be able to finish the build this evening.

Still looks cool though. I don't think the long fuse hurts the looks a bit.

Since I had nothing to build, I ran some quick calculations on what the weights would be for a smaller version. Had somebody request a mini version on the FT Forums.

Slicer says 334.25 grams for all the parts when size is decreased by 25% and with the use of a .3mm nozzle. That size reduction ends with a 27" wingspan plane with fractionally under 200 square inches of wing area. Oh, and the airframe cost is only 6$ lol.

Here's the total weight with some electronics estimates. I think a 1407/1408 sized mini quad motor should have enough oomph on 3 or 4 cell. Two 1.7 g servos might be too weak though, so maybe add a few grams. I've got some 3.3g servos that might work, but sizing the holes for standard 5g servos might not be a terrible idea. It will be a quick plane after all.

That wing loading is not nearly as bad as I expected. Reducing wall thickness to .3mm with the smaller nozzle really drops the weight.
Aug 06, 2018, 04:44 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Looking good man!
Aug 06, 2018, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
Looking good man!
Thanks. Should be ready to go for a maiden tomorrow. Might try and sneak one in early in the morning.

Aug 06, 2018, 05:47 PM
Retired CAD guy
I'll bet localfriend is thinking that "That Cow has been Flug " (Monty P ref )
Or was it Northern Xpozur ?

I have a roll of PLA+ transparent and some PETG that is transparent too.
Aug 07, 2018, 02:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I'll bet localfriend is thinking that "That Cow has been Flug " (Monty P ref )
Or was it Northern Xpozur ?

I have a roll of PLA+ transparent and some PETG that is transparent too.
The first toss this morning certainly resembled cow flinging lol. Fortunately it survived except the tip of the nose, and the second toss went much better. I tried to really huck it on the first toss, and collapsed the fuse a bit where I was holding it. The plane kinda did a knuckleball. Second toss went perfect. Turns out I was worried about nothing, all it takes is a gentle toss.

I'd go with PETG if I were you. The heat resistance really is needed. The black parts were sagging away from the spars a bit after the flight, though it was 11am, later and warmer in the day than I planned.

Got video of the maiden flight uploading.
Aug 07, 2018, 05:01 PM
Retired CAD guy
Kant Wait :P>}}}}}

Check PM ;>}
Aug 07, 2018, 05:01 PM
Thread OP
And here we go.

36" 3D Printed Northern Pike Maiden Flight (6 min 24 sec)

Glides really well, as you can tell from the landing. I tried to miss the dirt and turn back into the field, and shoulda just kept going straight. All good though.

Flies really smooth and stable, and tracking is perfect. Stalls just make the plane sink, no dropping wingtips. It does what a forward swept wing should. Quite fast as well with the little 2306. A bigger motor could get silly really quick. Gonna get started fixing the last few little details and begin printing a PETG version.
Aug 07, 2018, 05:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Kant Wait :P>}}}}}

Check PM ;>}
I think I replied to your PM. Can't see if it went out or not though.
Aug 07, 2018, 08:09 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Flies very well. Congratulations!

Where is the c.g. located after all?

Quick Reply