Jul 31, 2018, 01:19 PM
My planes plow into the field
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Bad toss, my hand slipped.
I feel your pain on this one! I have done that also. Really bad on a maiden when you have put so much work into it.

Put this in your bag of tricks for the next time. "Plastic dip". Makes for a good grip and you can peel it off if you don't like it.

Looking forward to your upgrades.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2018, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom
I feel your pain on this one! I have done that also. Really bad on a maiden when you have put so much work into it.

Put this in your bag of tricks for the next time. "Plastic dip". Makes for a good grip and you can peel it off if you don't like it.

Looking forward to your upgrades.

Yeah, I'll have to order some of that stuff. PLA is slick. Of course, I'd still rather have the design not be awkward to hold onto.

And as far as the work out in goes, fortunately, the build itself is really fast and easy. All the work is on the cad side, and most of that can be saved. I think there was 35-40 hours total print time for this. And that goes really fast when you have multiple printers.
Jul 31, 2018, 03:55 PM
Retired CAD guy
The Guy doing the GASB wings designed in some nice GRIP indentations on the bottom for overhand tossing.
Just 3 holes for Thumb, and two fingers.

A nice feature
Jul 31, 2018, 04:33 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
I like the look of the sleeker design.
Bummer on your launch. I have the ZOHD Dart and when I launch it I hold it by the leading edge of the left wing with my fingers being on top of the wing and thumb underneath. This method works great for any flying wing and keeps the prop from being able to hit your hand.
Jul 31, 2018, 05:30 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
The Guy doing the GASB wings designed in some nice GRIP indentations on the bottom for overhand tossing.
Just 3 holes for Thumb, and two fingers.

A nice feature
Yeah, I'm looking at several different planes that have similar features. Think I can make something work, but I'll need to separate out the grip section as printable part in order to sure good print ability and strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMON
I like the look of the sleeker design.
Bummer on your launch. I have the ZOHD Dart and when I launch it I hold it by the leading edge of the left wing with my fingers being on top of the wing and thumb underneath. This method works great for any flying wing and keeps the prop from being able to hit your hand.
That's how I normally launch most of my flying wings and pushers. Just had some people tell me it didn't work for the Cuda, so I thought I'd try overhand.

Careful with the Dart though, the wing can pull out a hair and you end up with ailerons on only one side. It needs a bit of tape to be certain.
Jul 31, 2018, 06:03 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
That was an unfortunate outcome but what the hell its printable!!

Some time ago Bob posted a link to a quick to build catapult, Im not sure if it was this one:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2759891
Jul 31, 2018, 07:17 PM
Retired CAD guy
Here is a quick screen shot of the Gasb bottom side.

Nice deep hole for the TOSSING index finger at the rear.

Um I use a TX strap and toss overhand B4 hitting the throttle.

Practice it 1st
but it's pretty effective as I can get a good NO WORRYS toss and power comes up fast
with a simple flick of the thumb. IMHO

Bob
Jul 31, 2018, 08:07 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Careful with the Dart though, the wing can pull out a hair and you end up with ailerons on only one side. It needs a bit of tape to be certain.
Yeah mine are taped together.
Aug 02, 2018, 04:33 PM
Thread OP
Settled on a fuse length 90mm (~3.5") longer than the last one.

Also got all the new spars integrated into the new fuselage shape, and got all the lightening holes done.

Gonna start printing the last wing sections, and start work on the spars, structure,battery/ camera mounts etc needed for the forward fuselage.
Last edited by localfiend; Aug 02, 2018 at 04:41 PM.
Aug 02, 2018, 07:21 PM
Retired CAD guy
Not an affront to an excellent design effort.
Just a couple of ideas to consider ;>}

I have a nearly whole roll of Transp Green PLA just waiting for this one !
Aug 03, 2018, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
Not an affront to an excellent design effort.
Just a couple of ideas to consider ;>}

I have a nearly whole roll of Transp Green PLA just waiting for this one !
Yeah, I'll probably do something like that. I did add an indentation for the index finger. Nothing on the sides yet. I really need to see what it feels like when printed and assembled. I want to make sure I get the grip in a comfortable spot.

Got the new spar structures done last night. I'll start printing all the rest of the fuse sections this evening when I'm off work.

Aug 03, 2018, 04:04 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
Make a hand gun catapult powered by a few tick rubber bands with a rail on the top, the plane has the male slot to fit. in a way that you can fire the plane in the air with just one hand, drop the launcher and assume the stick.
Aug 03, 2018, 05:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by derfred
Make a hand gun catapult powered by a few tick rubber bands with a rail on the top, the plane has the male slot to fit. in a way that you can fire the plane in the air with just one hand, drop the launcher and assume the stick.
Lol. That would be a heavy hand gun. Maybe with a smaller version. I'll probably tweak stuff to work with smaller servos and a smaller print nozzle.

I don't think launching will be that big a deal with a decent tossing point. Of course, this thing will have enough thrust to do vertical takeoffs, so propping it along a pole or two would make for an easy launch.
Aug 03, 2018, 05:19 PM
Retired CAD guy
I've found some STICK ON , peel back, rubbery material
that I've placed on Slippery plastic transmitter cases.
So you can customize the grips to suit your hand size.

Or a Vertical HOLDING launcher for potential hi power Vertical take offs.
Maybe ... maybe using a stabilize board "? ! maybe
Aug 03, 2018, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
All the cool kids use an atlatl.

Quick Reply