Thread Tools
Jul 27, 2018, 12:21 PM
Registered User
localfiend's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by derfred
When are you going to make a normal plane?

Very nice renders!
What? I thought this was a normal plane.... Only one wing, no canard, no polyhedral in both directions...

At least this one is simple, and I should have it done quickly, unlike my other projects...
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2018, 05:49 PM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
You are going to need a Fancy printer to do 3-4 colors simultaneously.

I've been doing solids Cad for years
but I never spent much time perfecting the Photo realistic rendering
like you have.

Now IF we just could get the printers to make parts that look that good
out a material that doesn't melt in the noon day sun.
Jul 27, 2018, 07:08 PM
Registered User
localfiend's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
You are going to need a Fancy printer to do 3-4 colors simultaneously.

I've been doing solids Cad for years
but I never spent much time perfecting the Photo realistic rendering
like you have.

Now IF we just could get the printers to make parts that look that good
out a material that doesn't melt in the noon day sun.
I've got one of those multi color printers. Just need to figure out how to make that bit of it work with thin wall prints. The various slicer software isn't really compatible.

The photorealistic stuff is all baked in to Fusion. Don't really have to do much. Position your part, choose a scene, and hit render.

SLA/SLS printing just keeps getting cheaper. Wonder how their slicers would handle thin wall prints? They're got nice plastics to choose from, and excellent surface finish. My next go around of this plane will be PETG. Then I'll probably do a couple in polycarbonate.

All the fuselage parts are drawn up and ready for printing. Should have all the airplane parts ready to go tomorrow. Right now, only the back half is printed.



Jul 28, 2018, 05:52 AM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
derfred's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
What? I thought this was a normal plane.... Only one wing, no canard, no polyhedral in both directions...

At least this one is simple, and I should have it done quickly, unlike my other projects...
LOL

Itīs looking very good. Are you going to share the files?
Jul 28, 2018, 07:11 AM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Gnat666's Avatar
Awesome ... your Fusion video inspired me to try harder at learning various workflow techniques to produce something even close ... probably not that close! LOL
Nice work
Jul 28, 2018, 02:41 PM
Registered User
localfiend's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by derfred
LOL

Itīs looking very good. Are you going to share the files?
Yeah, I'll be posting up the files when I know it flies. Which will hopefully be tomorrow.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnat666
Awesome ... your Fusion video inspired me to try harder at learning various workflow techniques to produce something even close ... probably not that close! LOL
Nice work
Cool. That's a big part of why I post stuff up like this. I want to see more people tackling these.

Got the rest of the main parts printed last night. Firewall bits are going now in polycarbonate.

I think the mouth and eyes printed out pretty darned well. Didn't have any paint, so the prototype got the sharpie and china marker treatment.









There are a few things I need to fix. The V-stabs don't have quite enough spars, and you can see the surface warp/bubble in a couple spots. Was hoping to get away with it being lightweight. I'll add a couple more to keep the skin tension up. Also, a few bits on the fuselage need work. Some of the internal structure pushes printable overhangs too far, and they come out ugly and broken. All in all, not that bad. Just gotta tweak the files a bit and they should be ready for release. If it flies that is.
Jul 28, 2018, 03:29 PM
Fly 3D Mon!
3DMON's Avatar
Awesome man!!! The marker came out great.
Jul 28, 2018, 06:00 PM
My planes plow into the field
farmertom's Avatar
Localfiend, you are a wizard ! Very nice work.
Jul 28, 2018, 06:37 PM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
SERIOUS good job !
Jul 28, 2018, 07:27 PM
TTN
TTN
Registered User
TTN's Avatar
Woah, THIS is _SO_ neat. I love it!! Those two images there, where it is a render, next its printed and being assembled on your bench. To me, that's where the magic happens. You have an idea, you model it, tweak it, adjust it, and then make it real with the magic of printing - the complexity is for free. (I have the same printer too btw - its brilliant isn't it).

I did a 3D printed boat recently. But this is next level. Inspirational! Thank you for posting.
Jul 28, 2018, 07:39 PM
Registered User
localfiend's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTN
Woah, THIS is _SO_ neat. I love it!! Those two images there, where it is a render, next its printed and being assembled on your bench. To me, that's where the magic happens. You have an idea, you model it, tweak it, adjust it, and then make it real with the magic of printing - the complexity is for free. (I have the same printer too btw - its brilliant isn't it).

I did a 3D printed boat recently. But this is next level. Inspirational! Thank you for posting.
Yeah, I love 3D printers. So awesome what they can let you accomplish in a short amount of time.

So, I've got a motor bolted on. RS2306-2400kv. Lightweight race quad motor, but it'l put out something like 1700 grams of thrust with a 6045 prop. Oh, and the motor only weighs 34 grams. So yay for motor tech advancement. Now that I have a motor on the back, I'm working on making sure I balance.


Here's the wing dimensions:



Here's the info plugged into an online CG calculator.



And here's what it takes to balance out:



That's 2x 1300mah 3s batteries. That's about the size of what I planned on, but they're further forward than I would have liked. I think I have a 2800mah 4S battery that should do the trick for the maiden.

Anyone know much about Forward Swept wing CG? Do my numbers look right?
Jul 29, 2018, 07:35 AM
Anti-gravity = Lots of Watts
Gnat666's Avatar
Looks close when compared to other similar shaped planes.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...10&postcount=2

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post38923157
About 16 photo down you can see the CG half way along the wing, a bit back from the leading edge.

Good luck!
Jul 29, 2018, 01:31 PM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
I'm currently doing a Tracked vehicle and have just DL'd a Swamp buggy from aerofred.

But this is going to be the next Plane on my list !

2800 4s is a big pak , I have a 2700 4s so I know.

R U sure it'll balance with that slug up front ?

Now for a little Hijacking ... apologies to localfriend

Hey TTN:
Cruising NZ late Jan early Feb 2019.
Will be stopping at Akaroa for a short day.


Hey Gnat :
I will be in Perth early Feb 2019.
Do you know Lockey ?
Brunch, Lunch , Pints , dinner, wine tours , yada yada
Could be an opportunity for a G'day or so !!!
Last edited by birdofplay; Jul 29, 2018 at 01:39 PM.
Jul 29, 2018, 03:09 PM
FDF - Front Door Flyer
derfred's Avatar
Empirically speaking, I would put the c.g. from the place marked on the online calculator to about 3cm back from that position.

Try a hand launch from a low position first, you can immediately see how it reacts.

My first 3d cad plane was a uav too, when I showed it to a friend who was into the fpv scene he replied that a mini talon wold be a great thing to have printable... Not as exotic I know, but still very interesting...
Jul 31, 2018, 12:59 PM
Registered User
localfiend's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
I'm currently doing a Tracked vehicle and have just DL'd a Swamp buggy from aerofred.

But this is going to be the next Plane on my list !

2800 4s is a big pak , I have a 2700 4s so I know.

R U sure it'll balance with that slug up front ?
I need to make some changes, so hopefully their will be a much wider range of acceptable electronics and battery choices. With the new dimensions, a 2700 will have no problems. And I'm hoping that something as small as a 2200 4 cell might work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by derfred
My first 3d cad plane was a uav too, when I showed it to a friend who was into the fpv scene he replied that a mini talon wold be a great thing to have printable... Not as exotic I know, but still very interesting...
Talon could be interesting. Would certainly be another quick build. And the wing not really being a part of the fuselage could be made to move around easily to get the right CG depending on electronics.



So here was Sunday's outcome:





Kersplat lol. Bad toss, my hand slipped. The fuselage is just too wide too hold easily and still release overhand without getting your fingers in the prop.



I've got no problem palming a basketball, so if this gives me trouble, I think the fuse needs to shrink in width.







Added 50 mm (~2"), and narrowed the fuse considerably.







After some thinking about things a little more, I'm adding even more. So 90mm total length increase.







I don't think that will detract from the overall look of the plane, and the increased length will help out a lot with motor and battery choices. You'll be able to run a bigger motor, and smaller battery back without issues this way. If it's not narrow enough, and is still awkward, I'll consider adding some cutouts for finger holds on the underside of the fuse near the leading edge of the wings.



I've salvaged the elevons from the wreck, and am re-printing the rest of the wing bits that remain unchanged. The wing pieces that are part of the fuse, and the fuselage it'self need to have all the spars, holes, and fiddly bits redone. I'll hopefully have time tonight too re-add all that stuff in, and we'll see how far I get on lightening holes.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 3D Lab Print - 3D Printed Boeing Stearman northernmonkey 3D Printed Planes 898 Aug 12, 2019 04:28 PM
Build Log 3D Lab Print 3D Printed Spitfire XVI build Fitz Walker 3D Printed Planes 13 Jun 14, 2017 03:44 PM
Discussion 3D Lab Print 3D Printed Spitfire XVI Power povlhp 3D Printed Planes 5 Jun 04, 2017 05:17 AM
Discussion Where to run 36" fast electric boat in northern il ramman347 Dock Talk 2 Apr 30, 2017 07:18 PM
Build Log The Cuda's Bigger Brother... The Cuda Para-Noia mudman1959 Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 2 Apr 27, 2016 09:50 AM