Jul 24, 2018, 04:46 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

HMS Gotland 1/48 3D printed

I have been wanting to build a submarine for a long time, but haven't got around to actually doing it. But, after designing and 3d printing both a ship and a ducted fan jet, I thought that it might be the right time for a submarine.

So, after nearly deciding to go for a Seawolf, I decided to build a Swedish sub, the HMS Gotland. The very submarine that every military interested Swedish guy knows for "sinking" USS Ronald Reagan (well, at least photographing her within reasonably close range during an exercise).

She is a little over 60m long, so a scale of 1/48 gives 1.25m, which feels about right.

I haven't decided yet if I shall aim for a classic WTC concept with wet hull, or try to make something more customized and easier to access. The latter feels tempting when having the free-form tools that 3D printing gives at hand, but may be a bad idea as it will add potential causes of problems. Input here?

As I like technical challenges, it will be a static diver. Same status here regarding the exact method, but there are some options more interesting than other.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2018, 06:04 PM
Thread OP
Small update, got the X-tail along with some other details in place (torpedo hatches etc).

I got inspired by the solution Robbe used in their U31, a fixed WTC where you pull out the internals to gain access; Picture here

So i started to carve out the internals to use a standard 75mm PVC pipe as dry hull/WTC, that will be glued in place. Hopefully the front sections soon will ready for print
Last edited by evolve; Jul 29, 2018 at 06:14 PM.
Sep 20, 2018, 09:31 PM
Lori, hey, you're home early
Any progress on this project?
Sep 22, 2018, 05:38 PM
Any chance to get part of your mold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolve View Post
Small update, got the X-tail along with some other details in place (torpedo hatches etc).

I got inspired by the solution Robbe used in their U31, a fixed WTC where you pull out the internals to gain access; Picture here

So i started to carve out the internals to use a standard 75mm PVC pipe as dry hull/WTC, that will be glued in place. Hopefully the front sections soon will ready for print
Dec 30, 2018, 06:42 PM
Thread OP
It's not going fast, but it's going forward!

Finished the second last hull section today. The wtc endcap will be fixed to this section, and to access the internals, this hull section is unscrewed and pulled back together with the electronics rack inside the wtc.

Now on to the x-tail linkage!
Dec 30, 2018, 10:54 PM
Very nice! What are you designing in? I'm slowly learning Fusion 360. Not very easy to use but I see the potential for a talented and skilled designer.

Your work is fantastic.
Jan 01, 2019, 05:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Very nice! What are you designing in? I'm slowly learning Fusion 360. Not very easy to use but I see the potential for a talented and skilled designer.

Your work is fantastic.
Thank you!

This is made in Fusion 360, and also my first project in F360. Until now I have used Onshape, but decided to give F360 a try as it seems to be a bit more capable. My opinion this far is that Onshape has better structure and is easier to learn and use, but falls behind f360 feature-wise.
Jan 03, 2019, 12:59 PM
Nice project, which material do you use for printing?

Pic fom GTD in 1:30
Jan 03, 2019, 11:35 PM
Click on it. Super cool video of Gotland.

https://videos-a.jwpsrv.com/content/...659a8e264b302a
Jan 06, 2019, 06:10 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by U3503 View Post
Nice project, which material do you use for printing?

Pic fom GTD in 1:30
Nice one you have there, do you have any more pics of it to share?

I'm using PLA this far, may not be the best material for the job but I have had good experience with PLA in earlier projects so my plan is to stick with that.

Quote:
Click on it. Super cool video of Gotland.

https://videos-a.jwpsrv.com/content/...659a8e264b302a
I get "Access denied" when tying to access the video =/

I have printed most of the hull btw, will update with pics soon!
Jan 06, 2019, 08:51 PM
Quote:
...I get "Access denied" when tying to access the video =/

I get the same message now. It was really cool video of the launch of an updated Gotland. Pretty cool looking.

I printed the tailcone and it came out great but my printer malfunctioned a couple of days later. I had to pack it up and return it.
Jan 07, 2019, 05:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
It was really cool video of the launch of an updated Gotland. Pretty cool looking.
This one? https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=2AekfOHyXFI

Here are the promised pictures of the hull. Keep in mind that I'm a happy newbe to submarines, so I welcome suggestions on improvements
I also posted the project (in the current state) on thingiverse if anyone is interested in the .stl files. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3324010
Last edited by evolve; Jan 07, 2019 at 05:40 PM.
Jan 08, 2019, 09:22 AM
Could not watch video, but your sub looks great! Now comes the challenge of getting the inside working. You will get there!
Jan 16, 2019, 03:17 PM
Quote:
Nice one you have there, do you have any more pics of it to share?

I'm using PLA this far, may not be the best material for the job but I have had good experience with PLA in earlier projects so my plan is to stick with that.

I get "Access denied" when tying to access the video =/

Hello look here http://beutels.de/index.php/treffen

Lothars Gotland pictures can you found under Osterwald 2004 - 2010

http://forum.pressluftjunkies.net/do...ile.php?id=193
http://forum.pressluftjunkies.net/do...ile.php?id=149
Jan 16, 2019, 05:06 PM
U3503,
Nice photos!
I have the Walrus and Sjøormen. A Gotland would be a logical next step!
Peace,
Tom

Quick Reply