Jul 24, 2018, 11:51 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Stand your ground

https://www.usatoday.com/videos/news...her/818221002/

I am interested in opinions about this altercation in Florida. Being from Indiana I am only familiar with the Indiana version of 'Stand your ground'. From what I can see in the video and what I was taught in multiple concealed carry courses (NRA certified instructor) this use of deadly force doesn't seem justified.

The assailant clearly shoves the man to the ground and then begins to move away from him. The man on the ground draws a firearm and points it at the assailant. The assailant continues to back away. The man on the ground fires several shots mortally wounding the assailant.

My understanding is that you need to be faced with deadly force before you are justified in reciprocating deadly force. The assailant had no weapon and at the time deadly force was applied was not at a distance in which he was capable applying deadly force (via unarmed assault) to the man on the ground.

So what is your opinion?
Jul 24, 2018, 11:54 AM
Seriously?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ound-in-action

Pretty much everyone agreed the thug had it coming.
Last edited by BE77 Pilot; Jul 24, 2018 at 06:19 PM.
Jul 24, 2018, 12:35 PM
Keep 'em Flying
The attacker only backed off once the victim pulled out a gun. Do I think the attacker deserved to die for shoving someone to the ground..? Not necessarily. The attacker looked pretty big though. And being shoved to the ground like that would piss me off if it happened to me. However, no one has the right to physically assault another like that ever.
Jul 24, 2018, 12:37 PM
Really?
In my CCW class we were taught to respond equally to force, if at all possible. We were also told we had a duty to escape if possible.
Jul 24, 2018, 12:54 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932
We were also told we had a duty to escape if possible.
There is no such duty in Florida.
Jul 24, 2018, 12:57 PM
the way the video is chopped it's hard to say what really happened.
Jul 24, 2018, 01:07 PM
That looked like murder to me.
Jul 24, 2018, 01:51 PM
Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
There is no such duty in Florida.
I understand.
Jul 24, 2018, 02:18 PM
Sharing lunch with Jonesy.
The thug did not initially look convinced the guy would use the gun and did not back his but away fast enough. I'd have shot if it was me.
Latest blog entry: Jonesy's mausoleum
Jul 24, 2018, 02:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ound-in-action

Property much everyone agreed the thug had it coming.
At AR15.com the prevailing opinion seems to be it was not a good shoot.
www.ar15.com/forums/General/Florida-man-walks-on-SYG-after-shooting-man-over-handicapped-parking-VIDEO/5-2130184/
Scroll down past the first few attaboys to find more reasoned opinions.
Jul 24, 2018, 03:15 PM
The QuadFather
Whether you agree with the situation or not, it just goes to prove you need to keep your hands to yourself. You never know what someone else is capable of, up to, and including ending your life.
Jul 24, 2018, 03:18 PM
Sharing lunch with Jonesy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by propflux01
Whether you agree with the situation or not, it just goes to prove you need to keep your hands to yourself. You never know what someone else is capable of, up to, and including ending your life.
The dead guy made a choice to use excessive violence. Then looked to be moving in to add to it.

Pat Travers Boom, Boom Out Goes the Lights (LIVE) (5 min 6 sec)
Latest blog entry: Jonesy's mausoleum
Jul 24, 2018, 03:22 PM
The QuadFather
Correct, hence my post. Putting aside whether he deserved it or not, had the dead guy not bowed up and got physical, hed not be dead.
Jul 24, 2018, 03:43 PM
Multirotor geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
The dead guy made a choice to use excessive violence. Then looked to be moving in to add to it.

https://youtu.be/nEzz4QTvItA
Oh, without a doubt, he was going in for some more because he saw the weakness. It was only a moment he realized his weak opponent had equalized the force. He looked almost as if it were a BB gun and was going in for more when the shot came.

Clyde
Jul 24, 2018, 04:14 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpoprofessor
Oh, without a doubt, he was going in for some more because he saw the weakness. It was only a moment he realized his weak opponent had equalized the force. He looked almost as if it were a BB gun and was going in for more when the shot came.

Clyde
You have no basis with which to suggest he was coming in for more. The video does not show any content to support that notion.

Quick Reply