Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

2018 - NOS, RES & 2-Meter Event Coverage

Check out these photos of the NOS, RES and 2-Meter Competition at the 2018 Soaring NATS.

Splash

The Most Diverse Soaring Competition Days

I say this is the most diverse competition as the Soaring Schedule for July 23rd and 24th have a big mix of planes flying. NOS (Nostalgia) planes are older designs, but boy do they look good! RES (Rudder, Elevator, Spoiler) are simple planes, but they can be very large and sophisticated like the Ava which is performing very well so far. Then you have 2-Meter which are relatively small planes in the sailplane world. The 2-Meter ships are rocketing off the winch line with huge zooms while a lot of the NOS planes are trying not to blow up on the winch with no zoom at all.

These planes are only flying against others of the same class, but all 3 classes are taking turns on the same days. If you are flying all 3 classes, you are flying A LOT, but if you only signed up for one, you are having to wait quite a while between flights. This is my first time seeing a winch launch competition on this scale and I have to say the LSF (League of Silent Flight) have this down to a science. They call up a group to a staging area and make sure everyone is there and ready and then send them out to the winches. Each pilot has an assigned winch number on their score card and a corresponding landing area. The planes are launching one at a time in order and once all the planes are up, there is a team of boy scouts and other helpers on golf carts that retrieve the parachutes and run them back to the winches. It's like a NASCAR pit stop and it makes it so you can have the next group up and ready to launch very quickly.

The tasks are pretty simple, launch as high as you can, fly for 10 minutes and and try to land on the spot right at the 10 minute mark. There are two different landing tapes being used. One is slightly longer for NOS and get you bonus points if the string can touch the nose of your plane after the landing. It's a yes or no for landing bonus points. 2-Meter and RES use a slightly shorter tape with marked increments on them worth more points up to 100 the closer you are to stake holding the tape into the ground. The farther away from that stake you land, the less bonus points you get.

The weather has been tricky and varied. At times all the planes in the air were dots in the sky with easy 10 minute flights, but moments later the lift seems to have vanished and planes were landing after just a few short minutes. This is what makes soaring so much fun, you just never know what you are going to get and the air changes constantly. It's a blast to challenge yourself to stay up and when you make a low level save and core a thermal to make your time, you can't help but have a big smile on your face. The guys are back at it today and will crown the winners later this afternoon. Then it's on to unlimited for the next two days and finally ending the soaring NATS with F3J on Friday and Saturday. It's been a great week so far and there's still so much more to come.

This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 24, 2018, 01:01 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Thanks for the pictures Jason. It is always nice to see pictures from the soaring NATS. It looks like there were more than a few Sailaires there for nostalgia. Gotta love those big old NOS designs.

Wayne
Jul 25, 2018, 05:30 AM
Live hard, Play hard, Die hard

disapointed

I love my hobby but it gave me this job, I hate this job because it takes me away from my hobby! (not really)

I miss the days of the Nat's and the long nights flying and partying after the days competition. I see many familiar faces in these photo's and it gives me a warm feeling inside knowing that they are enjoying one of the greatest soaring events in the states. To all those who can't be at the Nat's lets cheer on those who are!

Good luck and safe travels to all!

H-
Jul 25, 2018, 03:26 PM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
I had a wonderful time at the NATS! Thanks for timing for me too Jason! It was nice to meet you. I've got photos I will post here as well from the two-day event.

Scott Black
AMA137824
Jul 25, 2018, 03:46 PM
The King Moonracer of balsa.
Scott, were you flying your Viking at Muncie or your OlyII? Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Jul 25, 2018 at 04:23 PM.
Jul 26, 2018, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence
Scott, were you flying your Viking at Muncie or your OlyII? Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

Wayne
Yes, both. And the Sagitta 900 which maxed out in RES one round and gave me a great landing too!
Jul 26, 2018, 08:58 AM
Here are my photos from 7/23 and 7/24. Great event! I thought Jim was outstanding on the mic and keeping the events going. Everyone had a great sense of humor and an attitude of having fun. I donít know about everyone else, but when Iím off work, I want to enjoy the day and camaraderie. I especially enjoy spending the day with people who understand why this hobby is so interesting and fun.
Last edited by HelloScott; Jul 26, 2018 at 09:47 AM.
Jul 27, 2018, 05:40 AM
I donít see any Windfree Ďs competing. Did I miss them, or is this plane not allowed, competitive? Iíd like to participate in this next year....hopefully
Jul 27, 2018, 07:18 AM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
I donít see any Windfree Ďs competing. Did I miss them, or is this plane not allowed, competitive? Iíd like to participate in this next year....hopefully
Windfree isn't very competitive against the big gasbags with lots of wing area ...
Jul 27, 2018, 10:43 AM
Is this the Tom K from the Chicago SOAR club? You still flying?

I'll put my Windfree up against the Oly 2. I love flying my Windfree. Sure, not as much wing area as a Sailaire or Merlin, but still a very good flying glider
Jul 27, 2018, 03:13 PM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill
Is this the Tom K from the Chicago SOAR club? You still flying?

I'll put my Windfree up against the Oly 2. I love flying my Windfree. Sure, not as much wing area as a Sailaire or Merlin, but still a very good flying glider
Yup ... I'll put my 150" Challenger up against a Windfree any day ... LOL!
Jul 27, 2018, 07:16 PM
We fly gliders in West Chicago. At Mannville Oaks. Joliet rd and rt 38. If you want to join us. We have 5-6 glider pilots who come out on the weekends
Aug 15, 2018, 02:20 AM
Great photos. Many different models. Woodies are not dead.

A question: In helloScott's series of photos I would like to know the name the following models;
row 10 col 4 & row 12 col 3

Thanks John Quigley
Aug 15, 2018, 05:46 AM
Hopefully someone will chime in Aussie John. I'm unsure.

Quick Reply