Jun 23, 2019, 02:14 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Guys ... the 5W / 2A is good info and I didn't bother to mention that because go back and read what he's doing ...

He's using Discharge Mode to discharge the LiPo's and then storage to bring them to storage level !! Effectively doubling his time as well !
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2019, 08:25 AM
These chargers are a very poor choice for discharging! They are limited to 5W because all of that discharge energy is being turned into heat. Get yourself a decent discharger that uses halogen lamps and then you can discharge to storage very quickly.
Jun 24, 2019, 09:50 AM
For faster bringing a LiPo down to storage ....... the MyRCMart 3+1 discharger is a very good bit of kit that automatically terminates discharge at storage level user sets.

But I do also use my B6 etc. as they may be slow due to the system used - but they are accurate in achieving balanced storage.

But again - I remind people that he is wasting time in not using the apparatus correctly.
Jun 24, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife
You do not have to DISCHARGE and then use STORAGE MODE ..

You can use Storage Mode straight away from full or part charge state .. it will discharge if over storage .. it will charge if under storage.

Discharge mode is basically not a mode you need to use with LiPo.
This is a very useful advise! I was just wasting time....
Jun 24, 2019, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
Same answer as in other thread:

(The 5W maximum discharge power limits the current. I=P/E

As long as the cell voltage can be reduced to something around 3.8 to 3.9 you should be good.

If you have a lot of batteries to discharge it is better to have a dedicated discharger; even an automotive tail lamp will do it. just be sure to monitor the voltage if you do it with a light bulb.)
I saw you response in the other forum as well. Thanks!
Jun 24, 2019, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
What problem? Your charger is working exactly to spec.

It's a 5w, or 2 amp maximum discharge . A fully charged 3S is 12.6 volts, that means you'll hit the 5w max at .4 amps. You'll never be able to discharge even a 1 cell lipo at 2 amps(Unless you've overdischarged it), anything over 2.5 volts will hit the 5w limit first. So, maybe you could discharge a 2 cell nimh at 2 amps.
True! Well said!
The charger box only "advertises" in big and shiny letters: "6A charging - 2A discharging"!
But I didn't realize about the 5W discharge limit!This info is only at the end of the manual, very well hidden at the specs section!
Or maybe this is something common in these charges and I didn't knew due my lack of experience. This is my first charger of this type.
They got me on this one...
Last edited by PedroM; Jun 24, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:01 PM
Its still a good budget charger ... regardless of those who keep pushing more expensive units.

I have 5 budget similar chargers on my bench ... (6 but one is faulty ... received free replacement from Banggood).

Two standard B6 iMax at 50W charge, 1A fixed discharge

Two Accucel 6 at 80W charge, max discharge 2A

B6 mini at 60W charge, max 2A discharge

I started off with B6 and had a choice later as my battery collection grew. Pay out for a greater wattage possibly multi output charger (in my view putting all eggs in one basket) or buy extra budget to build up a bank of them.
I now have redundancy and know that all my chargers can be used in the car ... field etc.

I fly mostly 3S from 1200 up to 2250mAh with occasional 4S 1600 + 5S 3000 and 6S 3300.

So far I have no real reason to 'upgrade'.

The above provide storage mode as well as the two MyRCMart 3in1 dischargers I have on bench as well.
Jun 24, 2019, 02:20 PM
Many chargers have severe limitations on Discharge and you're right that they leave that in the fine print. None of my chargers will discharge at more than 5W or so and I never use them for discharge for that reason. If I abort a flying session and have a bunch of charged batteries, I put them on a parallel board and discharge them all at once on my up to 300W discharger. It has six halogen lamps. I combined two sets of three to get the higher discharge rate.
Jun 24, 2019, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Its still a good budget charger ... regardless of those who keep pushing more expensive units.
I have 5 budget similar chargers on my bench ... (6 but one is faulty ... received free replacement from Banggood).
Two standard B6 iMax at 50W charge, 1A fixed discharge
Two Accucel 6 at 80W charge, max discharge 2A
B6 mini at 60W charge, max 2A discharge
I started off with B6 and had a choice later as my battery collection grew. Pay out for a greater wattage possibly multi output charger (in my view putting all eggs in one basket) or buy extra budget to build up a bank of them.
I now have redundancy and know that all my chargers can be used in the car ... field etc.
I fly mostly 3S from 1200 up to 2250mAh with occasional 4S 1600 + 5S 3000 and 6S 3300.
So far I have no real reason to 'upgrade'.
The above provide storage mode as well as the two MyRCMart 3in1 dischargers I have on bench as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
Many chargers have severe limitations on Discharge and you're right that they leave that in the fine print. None of my chargers will discharge at more than 5W or so and I never use them for discharge for that reason. If I abort a flying session and have a bunch of charged batteries, I put them on a parallel board and discharge them all at once on my up to 300W discharger. It has six halogen lamps. I combined two sets of three to get the higher discharge rate.
Hi Solentlife, agree! At the end, it works fine for my needs. Its just a matter of planning when I need to leave a battery on storage mode.

Thanks for your answer Volt_Ampere!
Jun 25, 2019, 02:27 AM
Pedro ...

I recc'd this :

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3in1-bat...ng-p-4767.html

It is not only a discharger that auto stops at user set level - but can balance .. check ... etc.

But beware of eBay copies where there are no lamps or connection for lamps ... they say it works same - but not true. Without the lamps - all energy is dissipated as heat inside a plastic case ... which distorts and LCD screen fails ... I know - I bought one !!
It now serves as a field checker only. While the original correct 3in1 serves excellently as a discharger.

I mounted lamps and unit on a piece of ply :

I also have similar to Volt-Ampere ... a DIY lamp version that can take from 1 up to 6S via halogen lamps :

But I rarely use it now as the 3in1 does a better job. My discharger has no facility to balance the discharge and I need to have a battery cell checker alarm plugged into balance lead to warn me if cell approaches low level.
Jun 25, 2019, 08:06 AM
My DIY uses two sets of 3 lamps from the 3 in 1 connected to an Arduino processor to control the discharge. I also have two of the 3 in 1 units - they work well and are cheap. Only problem I found is that one of mine is a bit out of calibration so it actually slightly unbalances the pack. That is why I built my own using the same lamp modules.
Jun 25, 2019, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Pedro ...

I recc'd this :

[.
Hi Solentlife
Thanks for sending this info. Before this discussion here I had no idea about this!
It really helps!
Thanks
Jun 25, 2019, 03:16 PM
We are all here to help.
Jun 26, 2019, 03:08 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
I use a SkyRC BD200.

2-8s and you can connect it up to a PC for some pretty graphs and more features, different discharge methods, etc.
I haven't actually played with that feature.
Jun 27, 2019, 02:55 AM
Ira .... most chargers today can connect to PC ... and display graphs, control charge settings, monitor charging etc.

Even the B6 mini ... Accucels can do it. > Chargemaster software.

Quick Reply