Aug 26, 2018, 05:25 PM
I took apart the front end and found a piece of plastic mold flashing that was binding up the steering. The electronics conversion is now underway.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2018, 05:53 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium spice
I got my SCT version yesterday. I also have the body rub issue. The body is also attached with two posts, so there is a lot of play and floppiness.

The electronics on my are awful and seem like 16 steps proportional. This completely screws up the steering trim because there is like 4 steps. The steering also does not reliably center, but I don't know if the servo or the servo saver is the issue. Mines is pretty much not drivable with the stock electronics.

Turning radius is nice and tight, I can easily u turn in a narrow hallway.

I plan on converting mines to wltoys 1/28 electronics and 2s. Hopefully the motor doesn't burn out.
16 step proportional and 4 clicks on trim? Sound like we need to get rid of the stock electronics. What size the servo? I'm planning to buy micro servo, ESC and stuff to turn it back to losi worthy.
Aug 27, 2018, 12:19 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmium spice
I took apart the front end and found a piece of plastic mold flashing that was binding up the steering. The electronics conversion is now underway.
Yeah, forgot to mention, the part that also holds the shock tower, etc, right? On the bottom side I cut away some mold flashing, and that has improved the steering. But it's still not very precise. With the Micro T the feel is much more gradual, it does feel somewhat like there are steps, at least the servo goes to full deflection before you have full steering movement on the transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ican3d
16 step proportional and 4 clicks on trim? Sound like we need to get rid of the stock electronics. What size the servo? I'm planning to buy micro servo, ESC and stuff to turn it back to losi worthy.

The trims also behave really odd. When you have a trim set, it doesn't remember the setting, after a power cycle, the wheels will center to the same position as before the trimming was done, and the car will again not run straight. You then apply more trim, power cycle, and the wheels again come back to original position, So after a few power cycles you run out of trim.

To still have working trim, you should center it before each power up, to have "headroom" in either direction for trimming. If you don't, you will run out of trimming range. The trims are not absolute, but relative, so you have to trim the car each time you power up, or fix the deviation from running straight mechanically, so no trim is ever needed.

So it seems that sadly one of the things that could have made these "inspired by" the Micro T cars interesting, solid 2.4GHz electronics, are missing the mark. The steering feel of the HPI cars, after the foam modification made to make the steering more smooth, is much better, and the original 27MHz Micro T also feels much better.

Throttle seems better, I don't have real problems with that. Top speed could be faster, but it seems the cars are more geared towards torque, as the Stadium Truck even manages to scale a cushion as used on a lazy outdoor chair, which is about as tall as the car itself.

Btw, the difference in size between SCT and ST is almost crazy..
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Aug 28, 2018, 03:48 AM
ultra cheap pilot
Hrrmmm!!...still waiting for my package to arrive. Must be rough seas out there and sea pirates around.
Aug 28, 2018, 10:37 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Tracking says mine will finally be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some time to run it this week.
Aug 28, 2018, 10:07 PM
ultra cheap pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmax
Tracking says mine will finally be here tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some time to run it this week.
Post 'do a flip' videos. Thats what micro's good at. I'll definately put brushless for mega flip!
Aug 28, 2018, 10:40 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
My hopes were that these would be a good budget option for some spec class racing this winter, without the need for a bunch of mods. I don't mind a bit of fine tuning, but if elecs need replaced to make them run good on our RCP track, then they will fall short of what we're looking for.

It's ok if a cheap 5 wire servo needs replaced here and there, as long as they are easily obtained. We've been down that road with Redcat Sumo rigs, and their many clones. It's not terrible, as long as we have no problems keeping a bunch of inexpensive spares on hand. These won't work out for us though if the stock elecs are entirely sub par.

They'll be utterly useless to our group if we can't easily order a bunch of spares. I am hoping that at least most Losi Micro-T parts are compatible. There are a few .stl files of those parts available on Thingiverse and I'll gladly print a bucket load of steering links, suspension arms etc if it keeps us running.
Aug 29, 2018, 02:36 AM
A quick update, I will try to get pics and will get measurements when I have more time.

Servo is 5-6g size. A wltoys 1/28 steering servo could work. Spline and size is the same, but I couldn't get the servo saver to seat all the way down. I converted the stock servo to 3 wire by adding a driver amp from a 9g servo. It seems to work ok. Still have some issue centering, but way better than stock. I don't know if it is from the slop in steering or bad pot in servo.

I have the car running, but battery and electronics is taped to top because I can't find a 2s battery to fit in the compartment. The motor and transmission survived for at least 10 minutes so far. Acceleration and speed is close to the 1/28 wltoys. It is extremely hard to control and spins out easily. It severely understeers on throttle and oversteers off throttle.
Aug 29, 2018, 05:51 AM
Low budget fun
Sounds like a disappointment but 30 something for a rolling chassis is really not bad.
Aug 29, 2018, 08:51 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaver_XT
Sounds like a disappointment but 30 something for a rolling chassis is really not bad.
I agree, it's really not bad. Mine is out for delivery now, so I'll get some time with it in a few hours.
Aug 29, 2018, 12:40 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Updated the first post with some pics.
Aug 29, 2018, 05:38 PM
ultra cheap pilot
All i can think off after getting this is alu parts, brushless and skate park. But the servo thing keeps awake whole night in sweats.
Aug 30, 2018, 09:21 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
The servo is definitely not very precise. It's worlds better than non proportional steering, but there is absolutely room for improvement.
Aug 30, 2018, 09:49 AM
tHe n00b on YouTube
Picture of the battery and battery holder please.
Aug 30, 2018, 09:57 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Thread OP
Just took a couple this morning. I will get them added in just a few.

Quick Reply