2018 USA F3K National Championship Coverage

Photos from the 2018 USA F3K National Championship, see what it was like to fly in Muncie for two days.

Splash

F3K NATS Photos!

Wow what a weekend! The 2018 USA F3K National Championship is in the books and it was one wild ride. The weather looked rough coming into Muncie on Friday afternoon, but we still had 33 pilots show up to see who would be crowned the champion. Saturday morning started out slow with some technical issues causing a delay and after 2 and half rounds and lots of waiting with rain delays, Tom Siler, the CD called it for the day.

Sunday's weather outlook was a little better and we all hoped we could get in at least 3 more rounds to make it an official contest. Luckily the rain held off and we were able to fly a total of 6 rounds over both days under marginal conditions that were challenging and punishing at times. The top 8 pilots moved onto to the Fly Offs where they flew 4 more rounds and it was brutal! The winds picked up and there were quite a few land outs. Justing putting time on the score sheet was a challenge on many flights. After all was said and done Nathan Bartley pulled out the win, Congrats Nathan!!!

Even with the weather and delays, the contest was still a blast. There is nothing like hanging out for the weekend with other DLG pilots. The stories you hear, the flights and saves and fails you get to witness all go into a shared experience that brings us together as brothers. I'm so glad I get to be here and experience it and I'm very happy with my 4th place finish amongst some very stiff competition. Looking forward to doing it again next year.

Final Order After the Fly Offs

• 1. Nathan Bartley - 3,802
  • 2. Dillon Graves - 3,582
  • 3. Oleg Golovidov - 2,981
  • 4. Jason Cole - 2,837
  • 5. Jonathan Garber - 2,556
  • 6. John Ferguson - 2,441
  • 7. Scott Zastoupil - 2,370
  • 8. Tom Siler - 2,036

This thread is privately moderated by Jason Cole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 23, 2018, 10:33 PM

I love DLG

I had one about 15 or so years ago. Down here in Lafayette, La..... not a lot of interest. That makes me sad. BTW, in one of the pics, a pilot was using a very small red transmitter. What was he using?

Do they have alot of DLG in the Nashville Area?
Jul 23, 2018, 10:43 PM
RCG Admin
I believe that was the Taranis X Lite transmitter flown by Nathan who won the championship. Only one other DLG pilot in Nashville, but some in tullahoma nearby. Usually have to travel to fly with others at contests. Lucky ones have enough locally to have monthly club contests.
Jul 23, 2018, 11:09 PM
Didnt know you did DLG Jason. I miss it. Looks like I would have to buy new glider now to compete as Im outdated. I cant find gears for my airtronics 94802 in my one anyway. May have to dust off the spare one soon and see if I can remeber.
Jul 24, 2018, 12:38 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Yes, that little red TX is a FrSky Taranis X-Lite, which is a full-range telemetry TX in a game controller sized package.

I expect it to become VERY popular for F3K, it's by far the smallest/lightest full-range telemetry TX with fully-capable mixing.
Jul 25, 2018, 08:57 AM
I think it's pretty interesting that 5 different models ( I don't remember what John F. was flying) were used by the top 6 pilots. Just further illustrates the current crop of models are pretty close performance-wise and it is largely a matter of who wields the weapon and not the weapon itself.

Dave R.
Jul 25, 2018, 12:08 PM
Soar high, huck low
Congrats to all, especially Nathan on the win. Someday I will make it to Muncie.
Latest blog entry: Super sized Delta combat wing
Jul 29, 2018, 09:35 PM
Overkill is underrated

Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreisinger
I think it's pretty interesting that 5 different models ( I don't remember what John F. was flying) were used by the top 6 pilots. Just further illustrates the current crop of models are pretty close performance-wise and it is largely a matter of who wields the weapon and not the weapon itself.
Dave R.
I couldn’t agree more with your observation.
Jul 30, 2018, 01:23 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasperwing
BTW, in one of the pics, a pilot was using a very small red transmitter. What was he using?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Cole
I believe that was the Taranis X Lite transmitter flown by Nathan who won the championship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Yes, that little red TX is a FrSky Taranis X-Lite, which is a full-range telemetry TX in a game controller sized package.

I expect it to become VERY popular for F3K, it's by far the smallest/lightest full-range telemetry TX with fully-capable mixing.
FWIW, there's an official FrSky Taranis X-Lite thread in the Radio sub-forum.

I have yet to fly anything fixed-wing with my X-Lite. However, it sure is lightweight (yet solid feeling), fits comfortably in my hands, and performs as well as any other high-quality TX.
Last edited by Brainstorm; Jul 30, 2018 at 05:30 PM.

Quick Reply