Jul 21, 2018, 08:29 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
Thread OP
Build Log

Plantraco Shoestring #16

Well after many years of being in to r\c models, decided it was time to build a Plantraco kit with their radio equipment. I have many different planes and Helis and even a prebuilt Plantraco Carbon Butterfly and a Classroom A6M2 Zero fighter. So this "Shoestring micro racer" will be my 3rd Plantraco model.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 22, 2018 at 07:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2018, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
Did not have time to work on this plane yesterday because I started messing around with a LG mod to my Classroom Zero and after that decided to try to Taxi the CB and added a skid stick to keep the Tail feathers from dragging and wound up breaking the rudder actuator wires and had to replace the whole actuator wires and all. Well that took up most of my day and I learned that I need a better and smaller soldering iron before the radio installation on the Shoestring begins. Seems the actuator wires on the Plantraco equipment are smaller than anything I have worked on before. I have worked with and soldered many actuators and small wires before but these Plantraco wires are smaller than small!

edit.. Ok I just re-read the specs on the flight pack #2 and it does not require any soldering It has plug and play connectors on the 3 channel receiver and the actuators include connectors I can now appreciate that after replacing the hinge actuator on the CB yesterday.
Last edited by modfly; Jul 23, 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Aug 06, 2018, 03:43 PM
Aero sorer catches my sight. I used to have one in the past. It was a good plane, with palm-z. Good to see it again.

jiho
Aug 07, 2018, 08:04 AM
Thread OP

LRF AeroSoar

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopata
Aero sorer catches my sight. I used to have one in the past. It was a good plane, with palm-z. Good to see it again.

jiho
Welcome to RCgroups Jiho.

Yes I like the planes from the "not so distant past" as they led the charge to the current r\c models we have now. Sadly, none seem to have survived from that time (about a decade ago) as the tiny coreless motors and lipos have went bad from age and are very difficult to repair, The AeroSoar was a break through LRF that was the first of its kind and for $20, you could own a great flying LRF! At that Time, the only choice was a "Plantrao Buttery" which at that time was $300.00 plus shipping. There were a few more LRF planes available then but now nothing as that time has ended.

I am lucky to have a still flying AeroSoar model. Mine has been modified with a small lipo for longer flight time. The original AeroSoar had a flight time of about 30 seconds which was enough to make you want more

The AeroSoar gets a bad rap thanks to this thread....https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-huge-let-down
Last edited by modfly; Aug 07, 2018 at 08:54 AM.
Aug 08, 2018, 11:03 PM
Wow! Such an impressive collection! It is good to have still flying AeroSoar today. It's part of indoor RC plane history, I believe.

I had plantraco transmitter and reciecer few years ago. They were great! Look forward to see shoestring micro racer too.

Jiho
Jan 11, 2019, 08:52 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopata
Wow! Such an impressive collection! It is good to have still flying AeroSoar today. It's part of indoor RC plane history, I believe.

I had plantraco transmitter and reciecer few years ago. They were great! Look forward to see shoestring micro racer too.

Jiho
I am going to get back on the shoestring build. been busy restoring my r\c ground fleet. Every now and then make sure everything still works
Jan 11, 2019, 11:59 AM
Senior to who? Member
Nice to see people still flying actuators. I've got several new projects just waiting for a time slot but its F3P season so all my efforts are involved in that. Hopefully I'll get something done before our 10 session season in the big dome is over, otherwise it will be a 2 court low ceiling gym.
Jul 28, 2019, 09:36 AM
Thread OP

New motor with Gearbox added

Ok after some taxi tests released the DD motor\prop combo causes the RX to reset @ WOT. That would have caused a crash Looks to me like this plane would not survive its maiden due to the wrong motor\prop combo. So decided to replace the DD motor with a Gearbox drive motor. The electric motor is the same motor as far as I can tell but has a gearbox and bigger prop. This GB came from Plantraco website. I ordered it when I ordered the kit because I was suspicious of the DD motor\prop that comes with the #16.

Has anyone managed to get the #16 flying with this DD\prop motor combo? (Flight pack #2)

I also modded the LG with foam wheels and CF axle so that it actually rolls instead of drags itself around. I like to ROG my planes and also you can get a fair amount of info about the planes doing taxi tests instead of just throwing it in the air and hoping for the best lol. In this case, there would have been a crash if I had just tossed it into the air and started flying. I have way to much time in this model for that to happen.

mods done so far.
1. GB with larger prop.
2.Foam wheels with CF axle
3. 1.25 lipo connector
4. lipo mount with velcro
5. RX mount
Last edited by modfly; Jul 28, 2019 at 10:38 AM.
Jul 28, 2019, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
I just tested the #16 by flying the tail WOT with the wheels blocked and even with that big prop, no reset problem so I am going to maiden with this prop even thought it is perhaps .5'' to big for my taste.

Testing also revealed the elevator was reversed That would have been bad on a )throw flight)

anyway finally it is ready for maiden flight.

Took a year to build this thing in my spare time.
Aug 01, 2019, 07:46 AM
Thread OP

Maiden flight

Finally got to maiden the #16. Having some issues with range and radio link was lost a few times but I was flying over grass so no damage. The flight was only a few minutes but was enough to see that the planes flies very well. Had to do a hand toss so no ROG and no pavement landing as of yet due to range issues.

Soon as I get the range issue checked out and hopefully cured, will try again. The #16 sustained no damage during this test
Aug 17, 2019, 02:58 AM
Lovely jobly! It’s typical to see how all these bricks made our lives easier. Actuators with loose wires, little torque, adjusting hinges to perfection, losing batteries, cleaning magnets.
Still it has charm and character like people still buy new IC engines just for the smell, sound and tinkering of it.

Might want to try the Shoestring! How thick is the foam? I have some Depron..
Aug 18, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thread OP

Am I only one that has flown a #16 shoestring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNAF
Lovely jobly! Itís typical to see how all these bricks made our lives easier. Actuators with loose wires, little torque, adjusting hinges to perfection, losing batteries, cleaning magnets.
Still it has charm and character like people still buy new IC engines just for the smell, sound and tinkering of it.

Might want to try the Shoestring! How thick is the foam? I have some Depron..
Yes it is quite nostalgic to build one to spec. Foam thickness ~1/8'' I reckon.

I am starting to think that I may be the only one that has a flying #16. Yes I have flown it successfully twice but lost signal both times. think my TX is going south or some issue which I have not figured out yet. I am ready for a DSM TX upgrade as that little non standard TX has become a problem and I am not willing to pay big bucks for a replacement.

Like I said I lost signal in flight twice and if I had been flying over asphalt as usual the tiny plane would be wrecked and I would be very upset as I have a ton of time in this thing. I was flying over very thick grass and the #16 survived two nose ins with only minor damage but I did have to add carbon fibre strips to the nose area to stifin it up a bit but seems OK. My CF butterfly is also giving me problems with the engine GB looks like it is worn out and needs replaced. The CFB can fly in a much smaller space and it never gets much more than 50' away when flying and at that range the Radio gear seems to work OK but with the #16, you need a least a 100' range from the radio gear and that seems to be the limit so the #16 can easily fly out of range causing a crash

So now I am a bit disenchanted with this Plantraco radio gear. The #16 airframe is excellent however and I am considering a radio DSM replacement for it .
Last edited by modfly; Aug 18, 2019 at 02:02 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by modfly
Yes it is quite nostalgic to build one to spec. Foam thickness ~1/8'' I reckon.

I am starting to think that I may be the only one that has a flying #16. Yes I have flown it successfully twice but lost signal both times. think my TX is going south or some issue which I have not figured out yet. I am ready for a DSM TX upgrade as that little non standard TX has become a problem and I am not willing to pay big bucks for a replacement.

Like I said I lost signal in flight twice and if I had been flying over asphalt as usual the tiny plane would be wrecked and I would be very upset as I have a ton of time in this thing. I was flying over very thick grass and the #16 survived two nose ins with only minor damage but I did have to add carbon fibre strips to the nose area to stifin it up a bit but seems OK. My CF butterfly is also giving me problems with the engine GB looks like it is worn out and needs replaced. The CFB can fly in a much smaller space and it never gets much more than 50' away when flying and at that range the Radio gear seems to work OK but with the #16, you need a least a 100' range from the radio gear and that seems to be the limit so the #16 can easily fly out of range causing a crash

So now I am a bit disenchanted with this Plantraco radio gear. The #16 airframe is excellent however and I am considering a radio DSM replacement for it .
A Deltang actuator Rx would be perfect for it:
http://www.deltang.co.uk/
Aug 18, 2019, 03:22 PM
I remember having your struggles losing signal. Yeah i have the Rx43d and it’s been great! That’s why I might want a shoestring, LRF are quite tough and I realised my current living space is not suited well for it so I need to repurpose the rx
Aug 18, 2019, 04:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
A Deltang actuator Rx would be perfect for it:
http://www.deltang.co.uk/
thank you for that link That looks like just the ticket for the #16, A DSM2 compatible radio receiver upgrade. Will review that site as soon as I can but yeah it is time to go DSM2 on the XUM planes.

Quick Reply