Jul 20, 2018, 07:21 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Got my Y/A F-14 120mm EDF twin

After too many years of sitting on the poll table, My Yellow Aircraft F-14 120mm EDF twin got air born. With help from Ali and the Horizon Team at the 2018 Jets over KY, Ali put my F-14 through it's paces. I walked up to Ali and asked if he could help me on my jet... Not only did I get help but The Horizon team dropped what they were doing to help set up my Radio and jet for the Flights.
A Big Thank you Ali and the Horizon Team.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2018, 10:42 AM
2020 EDF Jet Jam
Congratulations Wayne on the test flights of the F14
Jul 20, 2018, 10:57 PM
world's slowest builder
Big congrats! You certainly had good thumbs and brains for the maiden. That is a rare bird right there.

I love in the second pic you can see the tires expanding off the wheels! Glad they stayed on and time for some glue on those!
Jul 20, 2018, 10:58 PM
world's slowest builder
Did you use the original wing sweep mechanism?
Jul 21, 2018, 01:43 AM
Thread OP
Hello: Bob and Air-Jon

Thank You..
Yes, I am using all the OLD Yellow Aircraft Stuff. When I got the jet back in the 90's It was New. So I guess you could say it's a new jet......LOL
You would think I would have learned by now to glue my tires on but I had so many things going on in my head to be ready for the flight.....I guess that was at the bottom of the list........
I will pay closer attention from now on....... The jet did land on one tire and one rim each flight......LOL
I think I am ready to start on the paint scheme. I am leaning toward the raising sun scheme...
Jul 21, 2018, 01:47 AM
Thread OP

flight #1

Flight #1
Jul 21, 2018, 01:56 AM
Thread OP

Flight #2

Flight #2
Jul 21, 2018, 02:02 AM
Thread OP
Live and learn......LOL Glue the tires.....
Last edited by wayne65; Jul 21, 2018 at 02:07 AM. Reason: worng photo
Jul 21, 2018, 05:44 AM
Enjoyed your plane and Kentucky Jets. This hobby is great! I have been doing this for over 40 years and every where I have been the people are all ways friendly and more than willing to help anyone.
Jul 21, 2018, 10:36 AM
world's slowest builder
There is always something to fix after a maiden...a tires coming off is certainly a minor fix. I think you did an awesome job. Now the wheels are roughed up a but and the glue will stick real good to them

It must feel awesome to see her fly after all the years...
Jul 21, 2018, 08:56 PM
Wayne,

Congrats on getting her in the air...she looked absolutely beautiful!

Look forward to seeing her with some color next.

Sean
Last edited by EDFjetpilot; Jul 21, 2018 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Jul 21, 2018, 09:38 PM
Very nice! A friend text me a picture of it from KJ, and I was hoping to see more about it on the threads.

If you don't mind me asking, what fans did you use, and what's the all up weight? I've got a couple of spare sets of main wheels/tires and brakes if you need them. I hope to get to mine some year soon
Jul 22, 2018, 02:10 AM
Thread OP
Thank You Everyone for the kind words.

The fan units that I am running are ChanSung 120 12blade EDF . My ESC is a Castel Creation HV160. and the batteries are two 5200mah six cell packs per fan unit. it is a 12 cell setup per fan unit, four batteries total ready to fly . Each fan unit has 12 pounds of thrust each max ( on a good day). My all up weight is around 38 LBS. The first flight lasted almost 5 full min. and did not lack in power. The second flight was 4 mins and most of that flight was wings in full back position, moving fast ( for an electric scale jet). I still cant get the smile of my face....LOL
I thought for sure I had built a LEAD SLED. This was the biggest EDF I have ever built. so I was not sure if it was going to fly.
My attitude at takeoff was ....She is going to fly OR run Full Speed all the way to end of a 3000 foot runway right into the weeds........LOL and by the grace of God she went air born.
I will try to post photos of the inside of the F-14 set-up.

Thanks

wayne
Jul 22, 2018, 09:04 PM
Yes, please, would love to see how you did yours. Little surprised you went with Change sun fans? Glad they worked for you, but maybe a pair of Jet Fans?
I've been holding back as I'm not sure what fans I want to use, and I've been thinking about where I can take weight out of it.
Fio's EDF F-14 was either 36, or 38 lbs, and his turbine version was 40lbs with either 8 or 10lbs of fuel on board. His original Black Bunny was 30lbs dry, and it flew great on glow power.

Any video of your's flying?
Jul 22, 2018, 11:45 PM
dont under estimate those change sun fans, they are really nice and im sure the jet sounds scintillating with both of them together

Quick Reply