DJI Enhances Geofencing Flexibility

Professional drone pilots with authorization to fly in sensitive locations can now use a streamlined application process to receive unlocking codes within 30 minutes.

Splash

DJI Enhances Geofencing Flexibility For Enterprise Drone Users

This just in from DJI and RCG user Tahoe Ed (DJI rep):

DJI’s geofencing system uses GPS and other navigational satellite signals to automatically help prevent drones from flying near sensitive locations such as airports, nuclear power plants, and prisons. These improvements are carefully designed to help expand the beneficial uses of drones in sensitive areas that have been restricted in DJI’s geofencing system. While those areas will remain restricted to more casual drone pilots, DJI now staffs its global authorization team around the clock in order to process applications and provide unlocking codes quickly.

“DJI now processes most requests within 30 minutes, though requests involving unusual circumstances or requiring additional documentation may need additional time,” said Michael Perry, Managing Director of North America at DJI. “By making it easier for authorized pilots to put drones to work in sensitive areas, DJI is once again showing why professional drone operators choose our aerial platforms for the most important tasks.”

Professional drone pilots can apply to unlock restricted zones at www.dji.com/flysafe/custom-unlock. This portal page allows pilots to easily enter information about their aircraft and controller, as well as authorization documents supplied by the controlling authorities in areas where they wish to fly. Enterprise users can for the first time include multiple aircraft in a single unlocking request. For more information about how enterprises are using DJI products to work safer, faster and more efficiently, visit enterprise.dji.com.

“DJI first implemented geofencing in 2013, and it is now established as an important tool to help our customers make thoughtful flight decisions, while also addressing legitimate concerns about safety and security by helping prevent unauthorized flights in the most sensitive locations,” said Brendan Schulman, Vice President of Policy & Legal Affairs at DJI. “These improvements illustrate DJI’s ongoing commitment as the industry leader to continually improving the safety features we implemented years ago while enabling beneficial applications for our technology.”

For More Info

Jul 18, 2018, 07:13 PM
DWA
DWA
1Corinthians 13:1-8
Good to hear they streamlined the application process.

Dave
Latest blog entry: Flying Log Book
Jul 18, 2018, 08:19 PM
I don’t have to call anyone to fly my own airplane...
Jul 19, 2018, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
I don’t have to call anyone to fly my own airplane...
This is the reason why we need rules and regulations.

You may be an experienced and safe flyer, but how do the public know that. If you can fly anywhere in any fashion, the village idiot has the same rights to fly anywhere in any fashion. Without rules, the public has the right to consider you as village idiot.
Last edited by PE9999; Jul 19, 2018 at 09:00 AM.
Jul 19, 2018, 11:31 AM
That same village idiot likely has a driver’s license, drives a motor vehicle, and needs not inform anyone of where he’s going.

As the RC aviation venue has been made easy, dumbing down the skill level needed to participate to where any moron can fly, educate and license them before they ate allowed to operate.

The only reason not to is because an education and/or licensing requirement would impede product sales. If safety was of real concern focus would be emphasized on actually making the activity safer, which geo fencing does not except for those sharing the sky with a model aircraft, who are vastly outnumbered by those on the ground. Perhaps those on the ground are not deserving of any protection.

Geo fencing is only about the money, obtained by maintaining sales volume and pressuring lawmakers to adopt the process which enables a manufacturer/designer to have their design incorporated into law to provide a constant licensing revenue stream through a legislated monopoly.

To imply safety is of any concern to justify geo fencing is both a joke and illustrates the gullibility of the general public, which is even more evident when those employing it allow it to be unlocked because of class status. Not much different than telling rich people that laws are less restrictive for them than for the poor.
Jul 19, 2018, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatR
That same village idiot likely has a driver’s license, drives a motor vehicle, and needs not inform anyone of where he’s going.

As the RC aviation venue has been made easy, dumbing down the skill level needed to participate to where any moron can fly, educate and license them before they ate allowed to operate.

The only reason not to is because an education and/or licensing requirement would impede product sales. If safety was of real concern focus would be emphasized on actually making the activity safer, which geo fencing does not except for those sharing the sky with a model aircraft, who are vastly outnumbered by those on the ground. Perhaps those on the ground are not deserving of any protection.

Geo fencing is only about the money, obtained by maintaining sales volume and pressuring lawmakers to adopt the process which enables a manufacturer/designer to have their design incorporated into law to provide a constant licensing revenue stream through a legislated monopoly.

To imply safety is of any concern to justify geo fencing is both a joke and illustrates the gullibility of the general public, which is even more evident when those employing it allow it to be unlocked because of class status. Not much different than telling rich people that laws are less restrictive for them than for the poor.
Are you suggesting all drone flyers get license? If so, I agree he can fly without asking dji for permission.

Before the village idiot driving down the road, he at least get the driving license.
Jul 19, 2018, 07:39 PM

DJI Enhances Geofencing Flexibility

Back when you had to learn something before you could fly, otherwise you crashed, we didn’t have problems with people flying where they should’t. As autopilots and VTOL systems have proliferated and made flying models open to anyone that could charge a battery, which covers a lot of people that lack basic reasoning skills, I do believe that licensing everyone that participates, or oversees such activity, is now in order. You can legislate personal responsibility but force it only through accountability, and only then if there are adequate personnel and a will to conduct enforcement. Licensing assures awareness prior to operating and eliminates excuses.
Last edited by PatR; Jul 19, 2018 at 09:24 PM.
Jul 20, 2018, 08:38 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Somewhat true, licensing to me means your doing the same. Your just legislating responsibility and adding another venue for taxes and revenue. Again you need the adequate personnel to enforce. Just going with the driving thing, no one could ever think that the FAA would have the resources of ground law enforcement, nor do they wish to be used in such enforcement (LEO).

Thus, at least in these parts, there are more people driving down here with either no insurance, no license, substandard equipment (Safety) or variation there to. So having a mandate for a license does not assure any awareness. I have seen this in my travels all over these United States so not just a down south thing.

I know of people that have been driving for 20 years with no such license and as such no insurance to be responsible. In fact if they get caught (As many I do know have) and there is no accident, the fine is little and they are driving the next day and such continues. The simple thing is idiots will always be idiots and there is no shortage of those who feel they can do whatever they want, and that number is growing both on the ground and in our hobby.

Laws are only to keep those in check for the most part that care to abide by them. In most instances if you give a person a foot they take a yard, as it were. The only thing that requiring a license will do if placed across the board is let those that follow the letter of the law, do so by paying a fee, the rest will continue to do what they want, when they want, and with what they want. IMHO.
Jul 20, 2018, 09:04 AM
The first phantom was released over 5 years ago, the Mavic sold in the 100 of thousands (if not a million), and we have how many serious accidents or invasions of privacy? It never ceases to amaze me how the general public, lawmakers, government agencies, and people on this forum (who you would think would know better because of there experience) let their imagination get the better of reason.

When and if a small consumer drone causes a problem that is when we deal with it, trying to regulate a problem before there is one has never been a good idea.
Jul 20, 2018, 09:29 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar
The first phantom was released over 5 years ago, the Mavic sold in the 100 of thousands (if not a million), and we have how many serious accidents or invasions of privacy? It never ceases to amaze me how the general public, lawmakers, government agencies, and people on this forum (who you would think would know better because of there experience) let their imagination get the better of reason.

When and if a small consumer drone causes a problem that is when we deal with it, trying to regulate a problem before there is one has never been a good idea.
This is so true, then you have to flip the coin. IF the largest seller and manufacture of consumer drones implemented a policy and system to keep idiots at bay, is that the reason we have not had any real issues as you describe above? It isn't that they know better than "All" of us, they just know what the things can be used for and have negated those circumstances best they could. There is simply not one manufacture that hasn't been on the news for breaking a restriction or violating some guideline. There is no sense on picking on the number one for what they are doing, as it has to be factual given numbers sold and to who sold to in most cases that had not a system was in place we most certainly would have had much more than a few recent events. They were the first to give the option or RTF with the Phantom series and they have since negated and regulated how they can be used. With millions of users and in the scheme of things not even 1% of users bickering over the GEO system, and even so with a work around already in place it's just not even worth discussing anymore. For $25 (Actually free if you have half a brain) you have the same aircraft you bought and are now able to do whatever you will with it...the whole thing is just a moot point these days.
Jul 20, 2018, 10:01 AM
I wasn't arguing against the GEO system, DJI has the right to implement it, and with a $.25 piece of foil and actually knowing how to fly pretty much negates it. My concern is a call for licensing and other regulation before they are needed is not a road we should be travelling.
Jul 20, 2018, 10:11 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Quote:
Originally Posted by PE9999

Before the village idiot driving down the road, he at least get the driving license.
nope.
all you need is a set of keys, and appetite and some youtube.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3048392

no law can prevent stupid. but laws can easily treat us all like we are stupid, and that's not fair either.

Id also like to point out that a fair amount of divers around here do not have their licence(or at least didnt up until we recently started allowing non citizens get licenses). and you know what? they are some of the most careful drivers out there! - the very last thing they want to do is get pulled over, let alone get in any kind of accident.
Jul 20, 2018, 10:12 AM
Pat, as you recalled from other discussion thread regarding geo system. Couple years ago, when I suggested a procedure for authorization, I drew a lot of arrows from the fanboys. Last night, when the "L" word is mentioned, I knew it will get their attention again.

I do agree law can't change the village idiots, but it will hold the village idiots responsible for damages.

I also know licensing will impact sales and that is not the vendors wanted.

However, as I mentioned to my fellow UAV developers, as the market matures, the development will split into two major streams, one for the consumer and one for industry.

Depending on your interests, one would argue which stream is more viable regarding profitability or sustainability.

Personally, I think the current consumer market is the driving force for public awareness but the UAV future is the industrial market.

For the consumer market, there is no need to license toys, the product liability issues eventually will force the toy makers either out of market or offer more safe toy.

For the industry usage, I believe the industry itself will implement its own licensing system.
Jul 20, 2018, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
nope.
all you need is a set of keys, and appetite and some youtube.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.3048392

no law can prevent stupid. but laws can easily treat us all like we are stupid, and that's not fair either.
law can't prevent crime, do you propose we do away the law?

you can drive without license, but when you get caught without one, there are rules to take care of your kind.
Jul 20, 2018, 10:43 AM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
but the first fine for getting caught driving without a lic is actually not extreme. and the trick is, you actually have to get pulled over or do something stupid first.

we've got people on our roads right now legally driving with multiple DUI's, or multiple reckless driving tickets and youre going to say some law or fence is going to solve the age old problem of the village idiot doing something stupid?

Quick Reply