Jul 17, 2018, 01:06 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

First Giant Scale Build, not just another Sig 1/4 scale Cub

Greetings All,

This is my first build log, and my first attempt at a giant scale build. Many firsts here
This past winter was a long one, so I set out to build a big enough project that would help time go by during the long, dark, cold winter months in the Interior of Alaska I didn't want to just do a kit, although hind sight teaches me it would have been less expensive and a heck of a lot easier. I am obsessed with Cubs and Bush planes. I see them fly almost everyday and my imagination goes wild. Anyway, I decided to build a Clipped Wing Cub based on Sig's 1/4 scale plans. So, I ordered the plans and a bunch of balsa. I have built some smaller aircraft from scratch, and one kit, so I figured "what the heck, let's give it a go"
After I received my plans and balsa, I dusted off my scroll saw, and got to work, planning, measuring, cutting and sanding

Here's some pics that inspired me for the build.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2018, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
I did not have any templates, or die cut parts. And that's just how I wanted to do it. I made my own templates by tracing the plans, and measuring/determining my dimensions by cross referencing the three views. The Fuse and Tail section was all scratch built and It was a great learning experience.
The elevator was modified to have counterbalances, just because I think it looks cool, and during my research I have found that many full scale J3's had been hot-roded for aerobatics over the years.
Jul 17, 2018, 01:47 PM
Thread OP
When it came to the wings, I made a decision, based on my newly gained experience building this fuse. I did not want to hand cut all of the wing ribs!!! Lol. So I ordered the wing kit from Sig. It's basically a short kit, but it was nice and came with some die-cut parts that were difficult to determine the dimensions of based on the plans. I learned a lot about myself and how to better approach a build "for the next time" from building these wings. After I started to build the wings, I realized I did not properly plan ahead. Because I did not want a one piece wing, and I was unsure of how to tackle the modification of making it a two or three piece wing. After much debate with myself, and help from a friend, I decided to make it a three piece wing (left and right panel, and a removable center section) with no dihedral, and a carbon fiber tube. The biggest mistake I made was I had already built the left and right wing panels, and I did not plan far enough ahead. Meaning, I should have stacked the ribs together and cut the hole for the carbon tube before assembly. However, I was still able to make it work.
Jul 17, 2018, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
After I finished the wing, and a couple months break from the build, I buckled down to Finnish the model. I went with 21st Century Coverite painted fabric covering. It's a little pricey, but a price I am willing to pay because I don't enjoy painting that much. But before covering, I assembled everything to check fitment, installed all the electronics, the push-rod tubes, landing gear and engine. Just so there would be no nasty surprises after the model was covered. I then painted the cabin and the firewall as well as treated the area for fuel. I decided not to go much in depth as far as scale detail being that this is my first scale build and I wanted it to be more of a flyer than a scale representation. Plus I don't have the best attention to detail. hahaha
Jul 17, 2018, 02:15 PM
Thread OP
There is one scale detail that is a must, the instrument panel. I think the plane looked pretty silly without it. I scratched my head for days, trying to find a cost and time effective method for making one. I finally found it here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1218, and it worked flawlessly. I was very happy with the outcome. Especially because it did not cost me a dime. I printed two sets of an instrument cluster from online, made a template for the back-plate, cut it out of 1/16 balsa, pasted the printed cluster to it and cut out the holes for the gauges, removed the paper, painted the balsa, glued some document protector plastic to the backside, then I glued the uncut printed cluster to the back.
Jul 17, 2018, 02:22 PM
Thread OP
Nearly 7 months later from when I started this project, and I am very close to the maiden flight. I am currently waiting on the window kit to come in the mail. That's the only thing keeping me from flying this beast. As for the cowl, that will come some time later. Eventually I will get a wrap around slim line pitts muffler and use the J3 cowl. I really want it to look cool, so I plan to take my time with it. I might get one from fiberglass specialties, one that is already molded for the engine detail maybe. Time will tell. But for now, I think it looks pretty cool with the exposed shiny new DA35 on the nose
Jul 17, 2018, 08:48 PM
Who are these that fly?

Nice!

Thanks for sharing the build with photos. I'm sure you're going to have a great time flying it for many years. Looks like you've got some other planes to enjoy in your hangar as well. Keep after it!

Mark
Jul 17, 2018, 09:23 PM
Thread OP
Thanks very much Mark. The hard part is finding the right balance between building, maintenance, and flying. LOL
Jul 18, 2018, 10:01 AM
Another cub lover. Can't have enough cubs or cub like planes in the hanger. Very nice job. Gonna do floats?
Edwin
Jul 18, 2018, 10:07 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Edwin. Cubs are great to look at static and while in flight Floats are definitely in the future for this one. Thinking about BUSA 1/4 scale kit floats. That way I can custom tailor them to this Cub.
Jul 19, 2018, 09:14 PM
Congratulations on plowing through all those "firsts" on this project! That's a lot of work to get through in 7 months. I've followed build threads that stretched out for several years! Best of luck on the maiden.
GAANDAHL
Jul 19, 2018, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Thank you very much GAANDAHL
Jul 20, 2018, 01:25 PM
Leroy G.

Gotta like a sig cub

Hey Bailbonds, great way to spend 7 mo. in Alaska and get a nice plane out of it too. I like the speed at which you got it done and it looks great.

I did the Balsa J3 cub kit in 1/4 scale, spent 2 yr's making a full scale super cub out of it, it hasn't flown yet. Just an idea what can be done to some of these planes if you have the heart to spend the time and make one. Sounds like there might be one in your future.

Leroy G
Jul 20, 2018, 02:32 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the compliment Leroy. Your Super Cub is AMAZING. I can tell with all that detail, it must have taken a long time and a whole lot of patience. It is also very interesting that you took the BUSA J3 and modded it into an SC. I was thinking of a similar idea for my next project. I want to take that very same J3 and make it look like the Savage Bobber.
Jul 21, 2018, 03:52 PM
Very well done, indeed. I have one of those kits in my kit vault.
What did you do for the landing gear? Did you make your own or are they Robart?
I bought a set of Robarts for my Sig 1/5 Cub and supposedly they were for 1/5 scale Cub but.......may have been for the BUSA version which is a tad wider than the Sig Cub and parts of the upper mounting stick out past the fuse.!!!$%^^&*
Anyway I just need to finish up on the jury struts...don't know why I keep putting it off.

Quick Reply