Jul 17, 2018, 12:33 PM
Flying again - 4th time
Thread OP
Discussion

What would happen to an electric foamy if you land it in the water?

Have any of you accidentally landed your foamy bird in water? Does it short out electronics, or does the plane survive?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2018, 12:42 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOGeologist
Have any of you accidentally landed your foamy bird in water? Does it short out electronics, or does the plane survive?

Flite Test | Waterproofing Electronics (18 min 20 sec)
Jul 17, 2018, 12:46 PM
Dunked a few planes.
If esc was submerged, do not throttle it up to "see if it's fine"

Get to it, unplug and let it all dry out throughly.

If its freshwater, 95% chance everything will be just fine. (Yes, even FPV equipment)
If salt water, your gonna have some work to do.

If you are doing alot of this type flying you can waterproof as seen in video above. I personally have not bothered with this on my seaplanes (Maule M7, Timber and PBY Catalina)
Jul 17, 2018, 12:53 PM
+1 on everything Ische said. Although I might have said "if saltwater, don't be afraid to replace everything".

My FMS SuperEz got away from me in very high wind; landed just outside of the crashing surf (on the beach), and then the wind picked it up and put it into the water. This is Balearic Sea, ie, Mediterranean, so somewhat salty. It cartwheeled in the water 5 to 7 times before I was able to retrieve it.

The ESC shorted out and burnt up, very crispy. Battery completely dead, 0 volts. Motor was ok. I replaced all servos, ESC, and motor.

After a month, half of the removed servos were locked up, the motor was locked up, and many of the screws (eg, the one that holds the cowl one) were very rusty. This in spite of being washed, dried, 10-40'd (the screws, not the other stuff).

On the other hand, my Millenium master when for a swim in a fresh water pond, nose first at high speed so it all got wet. I dried everything really really well, and it all survived. 2 months later, not a bit of corrosion anywhere.

Good luck
Jul 17, 2018, 03:31 PM
My experience: Biplanes might survive slight crashes in fresh water. Upper wing function as a float upside down.
If the electronics TX and ESC are cleaned and dried it might still work. The problem I experienced was servos
who was exposed to submerge they died.

So if You are flying near water make your plane water proof.

In saltwater even a waterproofed planes might fail because it's very difficult to clean it 100%,
Again with a lot of experience (the hard earned one usually) You might figure out how to do it ...
Jul 17, 2018, 06:25 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
We have a freshwater dam at our flying field and there are those who regularly dunk their planes in it. Even this last weekend a Pandora went in from a spiral dive. He retrieved it and a half hour later it was flying again.
Most planes survive and few get too wet because they float well.
Jul 18, 2018, 08:34 PM
22x
22x
Awesome User!
why not make your plane a Sea Plane and land it in the water on purpose instead?
Its fun to do if you fly near water anyhow.
I live in Florida where all water is salt water. and i can tell you,Unplug and clean everything with fresh water the salt will do wicked things to electronics. Salt acts as a conductive surface.
You can do the rice bag for a few days to be sure its dry as a bone,,, well a dry bone thats not in a living creature at least.

Quick Reply