Jul 17, 2018, 09:15 AM
Huge difference with server supplies that make them much safer than this supply is that the mains A/C input typically accepts a standard IEC C13 or C19 plug rather than having exposed terminals as is the case with this particular supply which is intended to be permanently mounted internal to a rack or other electrical equipment.

As for the DC output, bare terminals are not a particular hazard given the low voltage.

Again, I would not recommend this particular supply if the user needed it to be portable in any way. If permanently mounted on a workbench, the risk is largely mitigated and it'd be just fine.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2018, 09:36 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
lol. talk about the nanny state.
if they had stuck it in another box and just had plugs wires coming out of a hole, with a .5cent strain relief, none of you would think twice about it.

industrial power supplies have been made and used like this for many, many decades. probably longer.

will be a week or 3 before someone has a 3d print that covers the terminals and provides some strain relief.
Jul 17, 2018, 09:55 AM
100% electric since 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
if they had stuck it in another box and just had plugs wires coming out of a hole, with a .5cent strain relief, none of you would think twice about it.
I agree. It would take me all of 5 minutes to rig up a strain relief and wire cover, using whatever stuff I happen to have on my workbench.

This is not a toy being sold to a 5 year old, we, as hobbyists, take pride in being able to rig up our own solutions. If you don't want to do so, no problem, spend a little more money and buy a power supply with a pre-wired input.
Jul 17, 2018, 12:12 PM
I would use a strain relief too.
Jul 17, 2018, 12:27 PM
id just wall mount it. and strap the cords to the wall also. no moving parts. no risk of anying touching leads.
Jul 17, 2018, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twest
This is not a toy being sold to a 5 year old, we, as hobbyists, take pride in being able to rig up our own solutions.
This is being sold as 'plug & play' though, with a mains cord on one end and an XT60 on the other. So it could quite easily be bought by (or for) someone with little technical knowledge. Probably not a 5 year old, but certainly a 10 or 12 year old. I suspect quite a few adults wouldn't see any issue with it.
Latest blog entry: Eachine QX65 FPV quad review
Jul 17, 2018, 12:39 PM
seriously if you're in this hobby and still that uneducated about electricity, to not realize that the bare contacts might be electrified, you deserved to get shocked.
Jul 17, 2018, 04:21 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Yes, fix the safety issues so it's meets a minimum level for a consumer power supply and no one would think twice about it.

Quote:
industrial power supplies have been made and used like this for many, many decades. probably longer.
We're not talking an industrial power supply. We're talking about a power supply targeted at the consumer. The kind of people who stick forks into power outlets because they don't know any better.
Jul 18, 2018, 05:11 AM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira NZ
Yes, fix the safety issues so it's meets a minimum level for a consumer power supply and no one would think twice about it.

We're not talking an industrial power supply. We're talking about a power supply targeted at the consumer. The kind of people who stick forks into power outlets because they don't know any better.
+1 I couldn't have said it better myself.
Jul 18, 2018, 08:55 AM
WoW !!! good to feed a foam cutter bow ..... or two
Jul 19, 2018, 10:33 AM
upon closer inspection on my PC screen, as far as i can tell, this PSU case looks like its actually made to have covers that hook under that lip and then flip down over the ends, and screw into the inside frame slot.

regardless, thingiverse has thousands of 3D models that could easily be adapted to fit.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:182462
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1781838
Jul 24, 2018, 05:22 AM
"Aircraftus Fragmentum"
I have a couple other Server Power Supplies for my LiPo chargers so I am good with this not being ETL or UL for the states.... she is small and looks nice. Time to add one to the charge station.

Quick Reply