Jul 14, 2018, 10:42 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP
Discussion

Springfield Stratohawks at CJ Brown Reservoir

Hi guys. We need a way to share what's happening at the Stratohawk field with all the fliers, potential fliers, and our alumns that can't make it out to the field very often. So- I hope that this is a way we can share with each other and with the greater RC community what we are up to at CJ Brown.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 17, 2018, 07:36 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP

Tuesday at Stratohawk Field

I've to report that it was beautiful weather for maiden flights:

Mark(?) (NO- JOHN!!) flew his second-hand 40-size plane (with a 90! Supertiger). A dead stick but no damage. He's got some tuning issues, but all-in-all a good flight.

Todd was able to put several flights on his new Ugly Stick. The new OS 46AX purred without a hiccup, and the plane trimmed in just fine. Good flying, Todd.

Nap flew his Pulse 60. I was the only one with electric...about seven flights on my Parkzone P47...three on my Parkzone F4U.

I won't mention the hand-tossed P-51...Todd.
Last edited by kajukenbo; Jul 18, 2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Name correction
Jul 18, 2018, 11:25 AM
Rob my name is John not mark. My supertigre .90 may need some help with tuning
Jul 18, 2018, 10:43 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjoseph
Rob my name is John not mark. My supertigre .90 may need some help with tuning
Ha! Sorry about that. I suck with names. Awesome that you dialed into the thread!
Last edited by kajukenbo; Jul 19, 2018 at 06:42 PM. Reason: grammar
Jul 19, 2018, 12:09 PM
Thurs I planted some balsa hope it does some good and grows fast LOL
Jul 19, 2018, 06:33 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP

Better than a club fun fly.

We had a bunch of guys out this morning to take advantage of the incredibly good weather. There was a nice variety of planes at our little airstrip. Some nitro, some electric.

Danny's big high-wing model looked like a tail-dragger Kadet on steroids, and it chugged like a freight train with that big 4-stroke, but he was able to roll, loop, invert, hang it on the prop...he flew that sucker like an Extra!

irinman242- I wasn't going to mention that YOU sacrificed some balsa to the reservoir, lol. I hope you aren't allergic to poison ivy.

John- wish you had better luck today. Maybe you need a foamie to fly, so that you don't have to worry about messing with nitro. I bet one of us can hook you up.

Did anyone have ticks today?

I'm going on a SAR tomorrow to find Donnie's downed aircraft in the woods.
Last edited by kajukenbo; Jul 19, 2018 at 08:50 PM.
Jul 19, 2018, 07:55 PM
tolean
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajukenbo
We had a bunch of guys out this morning to take advantage of the incredibly good weather. There was a nice variety of planes at our little airstrip. Some nitro, some electric.

Danny's big high-wing model looked like a tail-dragger Kadet o steroids, and it chugged like a freight train with that big 4-stroke, but he was able to roll, loop, invert, hang it on the prop...he flew that sucker like an Extra!

Todd- I wasn't going to mention that YOU sacrificed some balsa to the reservoir, lol. I hope you aren't allergic to poison ivy.

John- wish you had better luck today. Maybe you need a foamie to fly, so that you don't have to worry about messing with nitro. I bet one of us can hook you up.

Did anyone have ticks today?

I'm going on a SAR tomorrow to find Donnie's downed aircraft in the woods.
Little Airstrip??? Mow it sometime and tell me how little it is.
Jul 19, 2018, 09:02 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP

No tolean Hero

I looked for pictures of your Phoenix Hero, but I guess I didn't take any! Thought I did.

I do have a picture or two of the guy who put on the aerial show for us though with the 70cc gasser.
Last edited by kajukenbo; Jul 19, 2018 at 09:58 PM.
Jul 20, 2018, 07:13 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP

SAR Successful!

I found Donnie's Artizan in the woods. Something had been gnawing on the glue in the nose. There was another wreck up in the woods...lots of Cub yellow and some white covering scattered all over.
Jul 21, 2018, 03:06 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP

Rainy Day Rebuild

Rainy day, so no flying out at the reservoir.

Back in May I was flying at the res and ripped out the landing gear on my Bridi Aircruiser 25. The wood was oil-soaked and the grass was long, so it popped right out. It's one of my favorite planes to fly, even though it's not pretty and only 3-channel. The little 35 Enya is probably older than I am, but it runs great. I've probably got 100 flights on it since I got it from Danny two years ago. It was a real bummer when the bottom ripped out of the plane. I was going to wait until winter to fix it, but I needed something to do today and it seemed like a good project.

I replaced the bad wood and sealed it with acrylic. Then, I covered it with aluminum duct work tape. The gear screws are sealed with silicone. That stuff is tough and sticks better than Monokote. The plane had been brush painted with some sort of thick paint, and I think covering would have stuck poorly and looked bad...worse than the plane already looks

Oh- and tolean, here's a pic of that Cessna 182.
Last edited by kajukenbo; Jul 21, 2018 at 07:28 PM. Reason: sp
Jul 22, 2018, 10:37 AM
I like twins!
Thread OP

Cloudy Day- No Pilots?

It was a dreary Sunday morning, but it wasn't raining and the there wasn't much wind, so I expected someone to be out at the field flying. Nope!

I had nine batteries with me and used all of them in my Piper Pawnee.
Jul 23, 2018, 08:21 PM
I like twins!
Thread OP

Evening Flying

The sun finally came out this evening after some really cool and wet weather. Several Stratohawks came out to fly- all with electric planes.

Todd got in two flights on his electric 60-size plane. Todd- I don't know the specs on it. The maiden flight went without a hitch. I was surprised by how quiet the plane was. I'm used to planes that size being gas or nitro.

We got several flights in each without any mishaps...okay, maybe one. Or two. The prop adapter flew off my Hellcat when I started to taxi for the first flight. Then a wheel popped off when it touched down, resulting in a nice nose-over. Seriously, I DO check these things out. Usually. It's been a year-or-two since I flew it, and I probably ought to have gone over it before grabbing it this evening. It was one of those "rush out the door" evenings...flying at the last minute when the weather looked good (finally).
Jul 23, 2018, 09:56 PM

The maiden tonight

Was a on the cheap plane I picked up it's a 60 size corvus on 6s 700 kv saite motor 80 amp esc corona servos about $350 into the whole plane 17x8 prop it flew great I was really surprised how well it did
Jul 24, 2018, 01:52 PM
Closed Account
Here's some video footage taken from my old Pica Waco biplane earlier this month:

Landings:

Waco Landings (5 min 20 sec)

Spins:

Waco Spins (2 min 5 sec)
Jul 24, 2018, 06:52 PM
Another great night of flying

Quick Reply