Aug 03, 2019, 12:47 PM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
Thanks guys. It didn't take me long to figure out the CG was about 3" or so. Wonder why HH never issued any kind of bulletin about the error? I flew it again today and did much better with the battery moved forward a bit . I am no too sure my AS3X receiver is working like it should though..I get very little servo movement when testing on the ground.

This is my second Radian. I had one years ago that I had the old style altimeter and I could watch my altitude. A flying buddy said "I bet you can't get it up to 1000 feet", and I said "Watch this". I took a photo of my transmitter showing 2291.9 feet above the ground! It was just a tiny speck in the sky and if I had taken my eyes off of it for just a second I would have lost sight of it. It took a long time to get it back down as well.

Don't believe me?? Here's the photo
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2019, 12:26 AM
A&P in training
Ok, don't feel like digging through pages here..Has anybody with the BNF version (AR636A) noticed that channels 4,5 and 6 seem to be locked out (Inop)?

Plan to set up spoilers, but the extra channels are not functioning. Not sure why they would program it that way...

Going to see if I can get into the programming and open them up..
Aug 06, 2019, 11:42 AM

Speed controller failed

My speed controller failed. Engine made this weird sound like a ratchet on steroids. Swapped the speed controller with another one from a crashed Radian that I haven't rebuilt yet and everything is fine. Anyone else had this happen? What are the odds that it just needs to be reprogrammed in some way? Thanks
Aug 07, 2019, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronaut999
My speed controller failed. Engine made this weird sound like a ratchet on steroids. Swapped the speed controller with another one from a crashed Radian that I haven't rebuilt yet and everything is fine. Anyone else had this happen? What are the odds that it just needs to be reprogrammed in some way? Thanks
Same thing happened to me on 2 week old FT Radian. Called HH support and was sent new ESC. New ESC installed but too danged hot to fly it but the new ESC seems to be working ok.
Aug 07, 2019, 07:16 AM

Turbo Timber RX in Night or Radian Pro fuselage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTREA1
Ok, don't feel like digging through pages here..Has anybody with the BNF version (AR636A) noticed that channels 4,5 and 6 seem to be locked out (Inop)?

Plan to set up spoilers, but the extra channels are not functioning. Not sure why they would program it that way...

Going to see if I can get into the programming and open them up..
My Radian Pro has flaps and are VERY effective at steep, slow approaches. Copy the RP chord and length of the flap and the Night Radian should perform similar. You can program/open the RX yourself or use another RX thatís already opened up. Iím using Turbo Timber RX in my old RP.
Aug 11, 2019, 10:44 PM
A&P in training
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
My Radian Pro has flaps and are VERY effective at steep, slow approaches. Copy the RP chord and length of the flap and the Night Radian should perform similar. You can program/open the RX yourself or use another RX thatís already opened up. Iím using Turbo Timber RX in my old RP.
Cool, might have to go with the flap option, and get into the programming.
Aug 16, 2019, 05:23 PM
Hello all,

I am putting together my NR. This is my first glider and first foam plane. When checking the throw of the elevator, the left side with the control horn moves normally but on the right side I am getting little throw at the center and almost none at the tip. Has anyone experienced this?
Aug 16, 2019, 07:06 PM
Tried out a 50mm aluminum spinner and a 11 X 8 aeronaut prop as others have done with the standard radian in the past. Climb was spectacular, as expected. It was a good thermal day so the extra weight went unnoticed. The extra weight did allow me to push both a 2200 and 1300 further back in the battery bay where they belong.. Donít have to worry now about the inevitable failure of the plastic spinner with this more robust setup. However, when I got home I figured I better put it on the meter and check it. I recharged the 2200 and ran it up to full throttle. With a fully charged 2200 battery, I briefly saw a max peak amps of 31. It dropped off to 28 later on. Too much for motor and perhaps ESC longevity. Iíll limit it to around 80% throttle (with still excellent climb) and maybe drop down to a 10 X 8 prop at some point.
Aug 17, 2019, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGood
Hello all,

I am putting together my NR. This is my first glider and first foam plane. When checking the throw of the elevator, the left side with the control horn moves normally but on the right side I am getting little throw at the center and almost none at the tip. Has anyone experienced this?
Sounds like you need to exercise the elevator hinge, they can be really stiff when they come out of the box. Just unhook your elevator pushrod and move your elevator to full travel about 20 times . That should do it unless there is some tape on the hinge or some other interference.

I routinely do this on all control surfaces on new foamies.
Aug 17, 2019, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMark
Thank you.

So the old one is probably a little better at thermaling?
I have the Night Radian and it thermals extremely well. There were a couple of other improvements made to the Night Radian in the tail section and the wing attachment method was improved.

The extra wires donít negatively affect the Night Radian except that it is hard to keep the canopy area tidy.
Aug 18, 2019, 11:24 AM

My initial experience with the NR

Hello Radian Sports fans,
I used to have a Night Walrus, and loved it.. it flew great till my grandson plowed it in before I could grab the TX back.. anyway I’ve now got a cool wireless trainer set up and am eager to get him back on it with this NW during the day till he’s a better pilot..

However here are the things that bother me most and have me thinking I shoulda got a Night Walrus..

This thing is HUGE.. it won’t fit in my car unless I take at least one wing off..
never had that issue before but a Honda Fit can’t handle it.

So, what that means is I have to put at least one of the wings on later at the park.. and without a headlamp and needle NOSE pliers to help thread the Led light cable.. forget flying it at night since it’s too way hard to connect the lights in the dark and too easy to loose that silly little screw.

it seems very well built but the fuse is long and it flexes a lot so the large EL and Rudder surfaces flex as do the wings..
not just a little but a lot under stress .. a carbon fiber glider it is not.

I got the cheaper PNP version but as primarily a trainer and at night , perhaps the BNF with that SAFE stabilization option woulda been smarter. I do miss the flaps on landing especially .

I got a chance to maiden it with this battery pressed all the way back AFT. it slid right in perfectly but suspect it may be too heavy for this plane and was too far aft. Dunno..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Why do I think that it’s GC was way off or my battery too big you ask? .. well it didn’t fly downwind very well at all without about 1/3 throttle added., tho it was fantastic at climbing into the wind .. once level especially at low speed .. if I banked it over a bit too far it would spiral into a tip stall that was really scary to recover from. The flex doesn’t help at all when that happens. I thought it almost snapped off a wing tip but it didn’t yet.. And without adding throttle once you get the nose back to level or up.. it’ll re-stall again. . Fortunately it only did this the 1st time at low altitude and the three or 4 times since I’ve made sure I’ve got the altitude to recover. Setup for landings will take more practice especially for a new pilot..

Anyway I’m fine flying it, love the way it flies into a light breeze or thermal but but it’s no where near the super stable easy to fly Trainer that I’d hoped it to be .. especially at night ..not yet.. How would you fixit? I’m just curious..

An update:
The CG was at about 3.5” and sliding my 1800mah batt fwd about an inch did make a big difference.. it flew much better especially downwind.. but I believe it’s still a little heavy and confirmed by putting in a much lighter 1000mah that it really soars and handles lots better with light loading .. so I’ll do short flights till I can find a 1300 that’s not all puffed out as mine currently are.
Last edited by jims123; Aug 18, 2019 at 05:47 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 11:46 AM

An NRNís (Night Radian Nubies) thoughts on setting rates: donít bother

Just watching the huge throw in the stock Rudder ( which I have under Aileron stick control) I figured Iíd better tone it down a lot.. I have a Taranis and followed this YT vid to experiment

Rates on a knob - Multiply (3 min 24 sec)

But found out the initial stock throw may be to your advantage and needed when it spirals in a tip stall .. I backed it off and reset it to 100% and till I get the CG issue resolved will keep flying at 100% to have that margin when needed . Elevator throw seems fine for my taste too..
Hope it helps,
JimS
Aug 18, 2019, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
The Radian has no drag devices but you can use the prop to add drag. Go into your DX6,7,8,9.....TX throttle curve menu and change the straight line points to a lower slope. Turn the curve to on and change point 2 to 5%, point 3 to 10% point 4 to 25%. You will not see a curve but adjust the points so that at half throttle the prop just starts to turn. In flight when you might not be able to see the prop turning move the throttle stick to the halfway point and you will be in the area where the prop just starts to turn. You will be providing windmilling thrust which is actually drag. Make sure to close the throttle just before touchdown to avoid a prop strike.

A 3 position toggle switch could do the same thing and may be more accurate. Position 0 would be no rpm, Position 1 could be set to a windmilling rpm and position 2 could be max rpm.
I just tried your suggestion out using the throttle stick with a DX6.. I now move the throttle from low up to exactly the 1/2 tick mark where the prop just starts slowly turning. With the 11X8 prop I just put on it definitely adds some nice windmilling drag. It was windy when I tried it so I’m looking forward to getting a better feel for it on a calm day. I also changed the full forward position of the throttle to yield 80% power. That is keeping the peak amps at around 25 with the larger prop / aluminum spinner. Thanks for posting the suggestion.
Aug 19, 2019, 08:54 AM
Just wondering while watching the significant wing flex.

Has anyone accidentally snapped an Night Radian's wing off in a during a steep dive recovery?

Seems like if you fail to cut the Throttle 1st during a steep dive recovery, this plane can build a lot of inertia quickly if packing a larger battery..and would be at considerable risk of that happening.. but is it really? looks can be deceiving
Regards. JimS
Aug 19, 2019, 03:32 PM
"Fly or Die"
I bought the Night Radian Friday evening and flew it in contest the next morning. Opening the box and unpacking I found the right wing had been forced down into the packing foam and there was a 1/2" tear in the trailing edge and 2" x "3/4" area smashed. Make sure this is the first thing you check when unboxing. The right wing goes under a ledge in the packing foam and whoever packed in must have pushed it straight down instead of tucking it under the ledge. This was a huge downer since I was flying in ALES event the next morning. there was also a little split in the foam where the plastic stabilizer mound goes through the tail section. I documented the damage with some picture and sent Horizon email. They replied in 2 business days and offered to replace the wing
Since I really wanted to fly in the competition in the morning I did the heat the foam trick and then placed a piece of packing tape over the damaged area of the trailing edge. To the stabilizer I used packing take to secure it in position instead of the little strips supplied. I then set the CG to 3" using a 1500MAH pack.
Now the good stuff. I arrived at the field for the contest about an hour early. Asked them if i could get a maiden flight in. For safety I started with a good throw into the wind and she glided beautifully. Then I retrieved it and did a powered flight to about 200ft. I glided around and trimmed the plane. I have to say for my first ALES event the plane flew great compared to the poor packing. I was extremely impressed. I had a great time with the club flying.
I also took the NR out that same night and enjoyed some night flying. The Night Radian seems to love a stiff breeze and flying a figure 8 across it kept me in the night air for some time. It will for sure need some lights put into the leading edge of the wing which I plan on doing soon.
Last edited by snoball1957; Aug 21, 2019 at 11:53 AM.

Quick Reply