Jul 11, 2019, 09:43 AM
Being new to these foam contraptions I must say Iím surprised by the durability. There I was the other day on the landing approach getting ready to make the turn to final into the wind. I was standing a good distance away but was certain that I was well in front of the tree line at the edge of the soccer field. Well, turns out I wasnít. By a margin of about three feet, I hit the leaves and branches about 30 feet up and thatís where the NR got stuck. Upon inspection from ground level, I could see that the prop was in the clear. After 5 or 6 full power runs with full control throws it came loose. I managed to get it wings level, slightly nose down with the power back off when it hit the ground hard enough to eject the canopy. Amazingly, nothing more than some light cosmetic damage to the left wingtip where I donít have it taped up. I shrugged my shoulders and launched it for one more flight before calling it a day. Will be much more careful with depth perception and obstacles from now on. I hope.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2019, 09:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougMaxwell
Interesting. The manual says 2.5 inches, but the image it accompanies has the CG line aft of the wing bolt, which would certainly put it in the 3-3.5 range. I’ll do some searching. Thanks.
I don't get why we have these CG issues. There is no excuse for it.
I measured the distance on my Night Radian as shown in the manual and it is not 2.5", it is more like 4".

Any how, I wanted to address this issue myself.

I have a new Night Radian that has not been flown yet. The manual says a CG of 2.5" or 63mm with the recommended Eflite 1350 lipo. I stick the 1350 lipo all the way back in the slot at 63mm and the tail goes down on my CG machine . I pull the 1350 lipo out of the slot and place it just in front of the slot and the tail goes down once more .

So now I stick the 1350 lipo which weighs in at 118 grams all the way back in the slot and using my CG machine try to find correct CG.

It turns out my measured CG is at 85mm or 3 5/16" or 3.375" . It not perfectly balanced but the nose stays down at that distance when I move it up or down 1/4" on the CG machine.

I have included photo's.

Unfortunately I can't fly the Radian till Monday as there is a Warbirds event at my field this weekend.

I forgot...The AS3X RX is defective... I am using a yellow 6 channnel RX from you know who..
Last edited by dangerdan; Jul 13, 2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: update info
Jul 13, 2019, 10:43 PM
I've been balancing it right on the taped over wing spar, which is a little over 3 inches or about 80mm. Easy reference point to quickly line up on and it flies well there. Why the manual hasn't been revised is strange as 2.5 inches is definitely too far forward. The review in Model Aviation must have been trying to balance at the 2.5 inch setting to mention it needs significant nose weight. I have the 1350 further forward than I would like (and secure it with tape so it stays put) but I don't need any other weight up front. With a 2200 it is back part way in the battery bay and it stays put on its own. For some reason I can't see that first row of tape in your picture on the CG meter. Anyway, I'll try it eventually at 3.5 inches and see how that goes.

http://modelaviation.com/eflite-night-radian
Jul 14, 2019, 05:39 PM
Or better yet, ignore hard numbers and set up and trim your plane to how YOU like it to handle and feel in the air.

Quoted CG figures are a rough guide.
Jul 16, 2019, 12:12 AM

Help with Dual Rates

I am having a problem with setting dual rates on my DX6. I have assigned them to switch "F". When I flip the switch between low and high there is no difference on the deflection. High is at 100% and Low is at 70%. This works on all my other planes. Any Suggestions?
Jul 16, 2019, 06:24 AM
be sure the switch is the appropriate position when designating the percent movement
Jul 16, 2019, 08:16 AM
The switches are set right. The elevator changes but the rudder does not. I have tried several switches too! I tried putting them on the same switch and different switches.
Jul 16, 2019, 08:34 AM
Is the rudder channel really the aileron channel by chance?
Jul 16, 2019, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana Karl
Is the rudder channel really the aileron channel by chance?
Good question! Anyone know if that is how the receiver is setup? I had it set for rudder and elevator. I can try to set it as aileron when I get home tonight. I'll bet it should be ailerons.
Last edited by Flyingiceberg; Jul 16, 2019 at 10:05 AM.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:54 PM
It was the under aileron settimg. Should have known, all my other planes are 4 channel.
Jul 16, 2019, 07:27 PM
So, problem solved?
Jul 17, 2019, 01:28 AM
Problem solved
Jul 19, 2019, 07:18 PM

Broken lights

I found that a short length of red wire between the lights on / off switch and the LED controller had broken off at the LED controller. The problem is that this length of wire is less than an inch long. Therefore, it is easily over stressed from the normal flexing from moving it around. HH was nice enough to send me a complete replacement wire that includes the switch / LED controller and what I guess is a voltage regulator all on it. Unfortunately, it is not a simple task to take the old wire section out and put the new one in. I found that there is not enough room internally to pull it out from where it connects to the junction box in front of the servos and runs forward. I had to unplug everything from the receiver and junction box, pull out the ESC, then run the new wire through and plug it in to the junction box. Then put it all back together again. Not hard just a pain. The bottom line is be very gentle with the wiring around the switch as it is fragile. Don’t shove it around. I’ve got the new one taped up to help protect it. I had removed the shrink wrap from the LED controller after I found the broken wire in the picture.
Last edited by IAI80; Jul 19, 2019 at 07:24 PM.
Jul 24, 2019, 11:38 PM

Suggestions??? Tempted To Buy A Night Radian

Hi there, Night Radian owners.

I haven't read through all 35 pages of this thread, so sorry if these seem like stupid questions, but...

How happy are you with your Night Radians?

How well do they thermal?

How easy is it to assemble / disassemble the wings when having to put it in the car?

I am thinking as getting one as a third plane (well... sixth, technically, if you count the other three that I lost to flyaways).

Right now I have a UMX champ S+ (can't really fly it in winds over 4 MPH) and a Ghetto Conscendo Advanced (more glue and tape than foam at this point... replacement fuselages are out of stock).

Would the Night Radian be too similar to my Conscendo Advanced? I like my CA but I am not really good at finding thermals with it. Would the Radian be significantly better at finding thermals?

Also, I guess I also curious about the concept of "thermaling at night." Seems like a concept too hard for me to comprehend... guess people are just cruising around in the evenings...

Thanks in advance.

I had a couple of UMX Radians and they were fun but didn't do well in wind and I unfortunately lost them when I lost site of them in the sun.
Jul 25, 2019, 10:53 PM

And one more question...

And one more question.

Aside from the lights and the AS3X / Safe Select, are there any other major difference between the night Radian and the older E Flite version of the Radian?

Tower Hobbies seems to have the E Flite version still in stock.

Does one thermal better than the other?

Does one assemble / disassemble better than the other?

Does one just fly better than the other?

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply