May 27, 2019, 01:07 PM
Flat spins without rudder? Intriguing. Do tell!
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2019, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
Still greatly in love with this little gem!
Approaching the 250 flight mark.
My F-27 is never left behind.
Really enjoying that GWS 4040 prop.
My inverted funnels are improving.
Getting them lower & lower.
Tighter & tighter like a little dust devil
She performs them best with light-weight (3S) 180s & 120s.
Calm conditions help to make them even better.

My inverted flat spins are improving as well.
Pretty amazing what this plane can do without rudders.

Love the UMX S P E E D !!!

Roger

It's hard to believe a piece of foam this small can fly as hard and fast as it does.
May 28, 2019, 08:48 PM
First 6 flights on my little evo today. This thing is like a big housefly on steroids. What a blast!

3 flights in I swapped to a GWS 4040. After a minute or so I landed and swapped back. The plane was noticeably slower (prop wasn’t backwards, I checked) and sounded a little lower pitched. It’ll make a good spare, but I’m gonna grab a couple of spare stock ones too.
May 28, 2019, 09:13 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork
Flat spins without rudder? Intriguing. Do tell!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork
First 6 flights on my little evo today. This thing is like a big housefly on steroids. What a blast!

3 flights in I swapped to a GWS 4040. After a minute or so I landed and swapped back. The plane was noticeably slower (prop wasn’t backwards, I checked) and sounded a little lower pitched. It’ll make a good spare, but I’m gonna grab a couple of spare stock ones too.
RS,

Just walked in the door from an awesome flying session.

Flat spins?

I'm one of those fliers that doesn't pay much attention to what my fingers are doing on the sticks.
I just wiggle them as needed.
So, today I paid attention to what my fingers were up to.
Get some altitude.
Flip inverted.
Throttle back.
Right stick... full down elevator w/some left aileron.
Right stick almost in the upper left corner.
You can adjust the spin rate with more or less left aileron.
Add some throttle to flatten things out.
Experiment with it.
What batts are you using?
The GWS 4040 prop demands high grade/low sag batts.

Roger
May 28, 2019, 09:20 PM
Thanks roger! I use Hyperion 240mah G5, on the recommendations from this thread.

I tried a few things I would do on my old UMX Q to get it to flat spin, and got it going pretty well, but I think I pushed the servo a little far because it didn’t want come back right away. I stopped trying after that butt-clenching almost-crash, thinking I could reduce throw and try again. I lost a UMX timber that way, when the gyro caused an aileron servo to lock up at full deflection.
May 28, 2019, 09:22 PM
Also, I love how easily I can launch this plane. I’ve never had trouble with overhand on any flying wing, but with this I can do almost anything and away it goes. I did an inverted overhand sidearm throw with ease just dorking around.
May 29, 2019, 11:26 AM
BML
BML
X-Vert, UMX F-27 EVO
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL
RS,

Just walked in the door from an awesome flying session.

Flat spins?

I'm one of those fliers that doesn't pay much attention to what my fingers are doing on the sticks.
I just wiggle them as needed.
So, today I paid attention to what my fingers were up to.
Get some altitude.
Flip inverted.
Throttle back.
Right stick... full down elevator w/some left aileron.
Right stick almost in the upper left corner.
You can adjust the spin rate with more or less left aileron.
Add some throttle to flatten things out.
Experiment with it.

Roger
Flat spin w/o rudder!? Wow. That's awesome. I definitely will try it next time I fly. Thx.
May 30, 2019, 11:15 AM
Good tidbit Roger. I do miss flat spins with the original
Jun 08, 2019, 08:48 AM
I am looking at the UMX F-27 evolution, but have a question. I have a few 300mah 3s bats, that I hope will fit. They have XT30 connectors which I will change the F-27 over to. But the dimensions aren't square, they are longer. Here's a link to them. FYI they're for my Mobula7 HD whoop.
Makerfire 4pcs Crazepony 3S Lipo Battery Pack 300mAh 30C 11.4V with XT30 Plug RC Battery for Multirotor FPV 85mm Size Quadcopter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDR5NN8..._IT7-Cb6WPZSNG
Jun 08, 2019, 09:54 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarZion
I am looking at the UMX F-27 evolution, but have a question. I have a few 300mah 3s bats, that I hope will fit. They have XT30 connectors which I will change the F-27 over to. But the dimensions aren't square, they are longer. Here's a link to them. FYI they're for my Mobula7 HD whoop.
Makerfire 4pcs Crazepony 3S Lipo Battery Pack 300mAh 30C 11.4V with XT30 Plug RC Battery for Multirotor FPV 85mm Size Quadcopter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDR5NN8..._IT7-Cb6WPZSNG
SZ,

Measured the Evo battery cavity area for ya.
46x19x20mm

Looks like the crazypony 300s are too long.

Also looks like the Crazypony 350s would fill the battery area.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q43DL8T...onvert-20&th=1
Dimension(LxWxH):46x19x16mm

Roger
Jun 08, 2019, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the info.
Jun 19, 2019, 05:06 PM
FireHawx
HH has a coupon (flysafe) 15% off and heads up Rc has the 350s on sale $4.50 https://www.headsuphobby.com/111V-35...or_p_2865.html
Good day to pick up the combo!
Jun 19, 2019, 09:13 PM
I am not sure if I got a couple duds, but my 1.5 year old ez flite 350s have more pop and run time. I get 3 minutes on the Evo and 2.5 minutes with my 130s. 5 and 3.5 with the old ones. They might be different cells now. My favorite for the Evo are Hyperion G5 240mah packs.
Jun 19, 2019, 10:44 PM
FireHawx
Agreed but, if I can get 1yr of good flying for $4 a pop then I am ok with that. The next price point is about $10. Now if I paid $9-10 for them then they need to get 2 flying seasons if not more but I don't think the eflites with give that?
Jun 26, 2019, 12:11 PM
**I'm Battman**
Amazing morning!
Cloud cover, 60 & calm.

Experimented with some BB Hyp (3S) 120's today.
3 minutes of super light-weight flight.
Batts need to be all the way forward.
Inverted funnels are spectacular with such a light-weight machine.

I'm very hooked on this 4 plane combo:
UMX B3D
Mini Convergence
UMX F-27
UMX Timber

Love the variety of flight!!

Roger

Quick Reply