Feb 06, 2019, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG
How many flights do you estimate you have on the 3600kV set up, Blaze?

Here's a pic of my Russian Sukhoi-27 and my Mark II Avro Vulcan anti-flash white. I used the "ice"method to get the decals off and it worked surprisingly well.
4 flights a session and approx 10 sessions puts me at about 40 flights in. No problems to report either.

And besides.. its just a little BL180 motor. Should the 3600Kv motor go out, then just go back to the 3000Kv motor and be done with it. Its not hard to swap them out. And the access panel to the internals has been "tape-tabbed, so I can always just peel off the small tape tabs that sit over the original tape, so I get no damage to the fuse if I ever have to open the small internal bay to get access to the motor.

I still remember just a few years back, when people were concerned about going 3S on these tiny UMX planes. And for 2 years now, I've been flying my UMX planes below with these motor / prop combos all on 3S - all with no hassles:

UMX Beast (BL180 2300Kv / GWS 5043 Prop)
UMX Pitts (BL180 3000Kv / Eflite 5x2.75 Prop)
UMX Gee Bee R2 (V2) (BL180 3000Kv / GWS 5030 Prop)
UMX Carbon Cub SS (BL180 3000Kv / Eflite 5x2.75 Prop)
UMX J-3 Cub (BL180 3000Kv / Eflite 5x2.75 Prop)
UMX Wildcat (BL180 2300Kv / GWS 5043 Prop)
UMX P-47 (BL180 3000Kv / Eflite 5x2.75 Prop)
UMX P3 Revolution (BL180 3000Kv / Eflite 5x2.75 Prop)
UMX Waco (BL180 2300Kv / GWS 5043 Prop)

With the 3600Kv slinging a tiny 3.75x3 prop on the UMX F-27, I don't foresee any upcoming issues in the near future either.. except for needing more lipos.

Love that black scheme on your UMX F-27 btw.
Last edited by Blaze0021; Feb 06, 2019 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2019, 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze0021
4 flights a session and approx 10 sessions puts me at about 40 flights in. No issues.

And besides.. its just a little BL180 motor. Should the 3600Kv motor go out, then just go back to the 3000Kv motor. Its not hard to swap them out. And the access panel to the internals has been "tape-tabbed, so I can always just peel off the small tape tabs that sit over the original tape, so I get no damage to the fuse if I ever have to open the small internal bay.

I just remember a few years back, when people were concerned about going 3S on these UMX planes. And for 2 years now, I've been flying my UMX Beast, Pitts, Gee Bee R2 (V2), Carbon Cub SS, J-3 Cub, Wildcat, P-47, P3 Revolution - all on 3S with no issues. With the 3600Kv slinging a tiny 3.75x3 prop, I don't foresee any upcoming issues in the near future either.. except for needing more lipos.
Sounds good. Glad to see more than just "Hot Rod" Roger is flying on 3S.
Feb 06, 2019, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Sounds good. Glad to see more than just "Hot Rod" Roger is flying on 3S.
For these UMX planes, it’s an addiction to find the optimal motor / prop combo and go 3S whenever it’s possible. I just wished Eflite would expand the 3S UMX market further.
I could never go back to 2S on my UMX Waco once I’ve had a taste of what this is like, simply coming from a UMX:

Eflite UMX Waco 3SBL Preview (0 min 8 sec)
Feb 06, 2019, 02:30 PM
Quote:
For these UMX planes, itís an addiction to find the optimal motor / prop combo and go 3S whenever itís possible. I just wished Eflite would expand the 3S UMX market further.
I could never go back to 2S on my UMX Waco once Iíve had a taste of what this is like, simply coming from a UMX:

https://youtu.be/jfZGIhMqCDE
Nice!
Feb 06, 2019, 02:43 PM
Quote:
For these UMX planes, itís an addiction to find the optimal motor / prop combo and go 3S whenever itís possible. I just wished Eflite would expand the 3S UMX market further.
I could never go back to 2S on my UMX Waco once Iíve had a taste of what this is like, simply coming from a UMX:

https://youtu.be/jfZGIhMqCDE
Most definitely. The 3S power really comes in handy for something like the F27 when you're fighting the wind. Anytime the wind gets a little much, it's nice to hit the throttle and cut right through it. It's amazing to see that little hunk of foam slice through gusts with no problem.

Thanks for the compliment on my F27 scheme. I can see it pretty well, with the black top and the stock blue decals on the bottom. It looks good to me.
Feb 06, 2019, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Most definitely. The 3S power really comes in handy for something like the F27 when you're fighting the wind. Anytime the wind gets a little much, it's nice to hit the throttle and cut right through it. It's amazing to see that little hunk of foam slice through gusts with no problem.

Thanks for the compliment on my F27 scheme. I can see it pretty well, with the black top and the stock blue decals on the bottom. It looks good to me.
What type of paint and Russian stars did you use? I may want to try that with a spare UMX F-27 and I was thinking of trying Krylon Short Cuts from Hobby Lobby and going all black and picking up a set of old UMX Mig (red scheme, not the new Chinese scheme) and try that as well.
Feb 06, 2019, 03:21 PM
Quote:
What type of paint and Russian stars did you use? I may want to try that with a spare UMX F-27 and I was thinking of trying Krylon Short Cuts from Hobby Lobby and going all black and picking up a set of old UMX Mig (red scheme, not the new Chinese scheme) and try that as well.
I used the Krylon black satin spray. I'm not at home at the moment but I'll check and post the specific type. It's not too shiny but not completely flat, either. It went on well and sticks great to the foam. Just be sure to carefully mask, like plugging the vent holes in the foam over the board. For the red stars, I just cut out a star template and marked out an adhesive trim sheet of red MonoKote for cutting with scissors. I think it looks pretty good with the stock blue decals on the underside and it's easy enough to do, once you get the decals off.

I get the impression Horizon must leave the non-scale UMX schemes to their Chinese manufacturer. The stock decals usually look pretty goofy to my eyes, with no illusion to a scale bird. I just didn't care for them at all on the Delta Ray One and the F27, just too garish. Kind of like some of the names the Chinese RC manufacturers come up with for their planes, like Happy Fun Go! airplane. Something seems to go amiss in translation.
Feb 06, 2019, 03:32 PM
Quote:
I used the Krylon black satin spray. I'm not at home at the moment but I'll check and post the specific type. It's not too shiny but not completely flat, either. It went on well and sticks great to the foam. Just be sure to carefully mask, like plugging the vent holes in the foam over the board. For the red stars, I just cut out a star template and marked out an adhesive trim sheet of red MonoKote for cutting with scissors. I think it looks pretty good with the stock blue decals on the underside and it's easy enough to do, once you get the decals off.

I get the impression Horizon must leave the non-scale UMX schemes to their Chinese manufacturer. The stock decals usually look pretty goofy to my eyes, with no illusion to a scale bird. I just didn't care for them at all on the Delta Ray One and the F27, just too garish. Kind of like some of the names the Chinese RC manufacturers come up with for their planes, like Happy Fun Go! airplane. Something seems to go amiss in translation.
"Happy Fun Go"

Thanks for the info!
Feb 06, 2019, 05:13 PM
The specific Krylon I used was Fusion All-In-One satin black. I think I just had it laying around so I gave it a try and it worked fine.
Feb 07, 2019, 04:27 PM
Blaze, did you use the 3600Kv with the 100mm lead or the 3600Kv with the shorter leads? The shorter leads version doesn't look quite long enough for the F27 and the 100mm looks a little long but it's hard to tell from the HH motor pictures and, of course, the website doesn't mention the length of the leads.

Of course, I could just go with the 100 mm and stuff any extra length but I thought if the other version isn't too short, I'd just go with it but it looks a little iffy from looking at the pictures..

https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180-b...-p-eflum180bld

https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180-b...kv-eflum180blc
Feb 08, 2019, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Blaze, did you use the 3600Kv with the 100mm lead or the 3600Kv with the shorter leads? The shorter leads version doesn't look quite long enough for the F27 and the 100mm looks a little long but it's hard to tell from the HH motor pictures and, of course, the website doesn't mention the length of the leads.

Of course, I could just go with the 100 mm and stuff any extra length but I thought if the other version isn't too short, I'd just go with it but it looks a little iffy from looking at the pictures..

https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180-b...-p-eflum180bld

https://www.horizonhobby.com/bl180-b...kv-eflum180blc
I believe it was the 100mm lead (same one used on the UMX Cirrus). I was able to place any extra slack in the internal cavity.
Feb 08, 2019, 12:24 PM
Quote:
I believe it was the 100mm lead (same one used on the UMX Cirrus). I was able to place any extra slack in the internal cavity.
Got it. That looks to be the best one for the F27, from looking at the HH online pics. Thanks!
Feb 08, 2019, 06:15 PM
Owner Mojo Racing Products

New F-27 Upgrade LiPo 11.1v 300mAh 65C by Giant Power

Hello F-27 fliers. Giant Power USA just received a new product for the UMX F-27 plane and 130S heli. Maximum Performance 65C 300mAh packs $9.99ea.
Our batteries offer outstanding punch and performance. Free sample to the 1st pilot who can contact me and agree to do a product review (USA residents only). Thanks!

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/p...o-battery-pack
Feb 08, 2019, 06:59 PM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantPowerLiPos
Hello F-27 fliers. Giant Power USA just received a new product for the UMX F-27 plane and 130S heli. Maximum Performance 65C 300mAh packs $9.99ea.
Our batteries offer outstanding punch and performance. Free sample to the 1st pilot who can contact me and agree to do a product review (USA residents only). Thanks!

https://www.mojoracingproducts.com/p...o-battery-pack
Bob,

I would be happy to test one and post my results on this thread.

Roger
Feb 08, 2019, 07:12 PM
**I'm Battman**
Three cheers to Horizon!!!

Ordered my second F-27 on Wed and received it first thing this morning. (Fri)
I selected free slow postage. (Fed-Ex Smart Post)
Horizon (CA) sent it fast. (Fed-Ex Home Delivery)
Thanks

I'll be taking both F-27's to the field.
New one will be kept stock.
Original one will be getting the 3600Kv motor upgrade.
(EFLUM180BLD) 100mm lead.

This will be fun!!

Roger

Quick Reply