Dec 15, 2004, 09:41 PM
Thread OP

Chicagoland Parkflying F.I.B. Part 10

O boy, here we go again Now the spotlight is on Joe to maiden his TM 400 will post a link to the old thread in a sec.

Here is part zero niner
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...4&page=1&pp=15
Last edited by Kyle G.; Dec 15, 2004 at 09:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2004, 09:46 PM
Wow, cant believe we're on part 10!!

We really arent flying enough...

So what do you guys think about the fly-in??
Dec 15, 2004, 09:48 PM
this is called cutting the grass!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308039
Dec 15, 2004, 09:53 PM
Electric Relaxation
I gave the Moth to Joe today and bought a Curtiss Robin. My first balsa kit, and I will be converting it to electric. Hey Joe I am looking at this thing and I think even my Bluebird servos might be too big. If they are Im going to get those little tiny ones we saw, plus that tiny little lipo. Ash Im glad the Heli is here, I cant wait to see that thing fly.
Dec 15, 2004, 09:58 PM
regan- The heli isnt quite here, close, but not quite.. Mail man took it back to the PO cuz no one was home, but i'll have it in my grubby little hands tomorrow. Thankfully no finals on friday so i can work on it tomorrow night.

This definately should be fun to fly.

BTW i was cheacking out the turbine helis at runryder....those look intresting...might take a while to save up for it..

ash
Dec 15, 2004, 10:24 PM
Don't watch this...
Hey Boyz.

Whoever...thanx for the link to FanTastic Models. Those little planes look awesome. MikeyB, I'll get the Mig. I kinda liked the look of the USA plane better, but "Mig" is cool and recognizable. The $75 price is pretty steep for just a bit of foam. But it seems there is some more engineering and density and quality to them than a GWS (not bashing GWS). Same like an Alf warbird over a GWS warbird. Just a more involved manufactureing process, hence price.
Ailerons and elevator are all I really need (want). I never had the rudder hooked up on my GWS Me109 and it flew great. These Fantastics are about 1/2 the size and weight. The site says can be flown in a basketball gym...that's just what I have available I was there tonight with Travis and thwe scouts.
The fact that these little birds are ducted fans is a big bonus. I always wanted a ducted fan plane (not as big as your Ash).
I'm going surfing to investigate them further.

The Mayer. Good luck on your first build. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. You and Joe are both doing your first. I hope you guys have a pretty good sized work area. It's best if you can just get up and walk away from it with-out having to put everything away (i.e. kitchen table).
Joe your e40 is huge and will take up a 6' table. The Mayer...I don't see yours as being any smaller

Yea Ash, we gotta get together to see new planes.

I hate to do this to you, but....If (when) I get an indoor plane and always post about flying by myself in this warm, calm gym down the road....

....everybody get an indoor plane and I'll continue to have fly-ins all winter long You guys will be road tripping out here 12 months a year

CooHead
Dec 15, 2004, 10:40 PM
I'm gonna ask for an indoor plane for x-mas. I hope Santa gets it in!
There is a pretty good gym in Arlington Heights, but it's on Friday afternoons during school.
Then there are the golf dome fly-ins, which are probably our best bet. I'm still going to have trouble getting to Marengo, though. Just 2 more years...
Dec 15, 2004, 10:43 PM
Thread OP
I don't really have an indoor plane right now Tigermoth is out of commission with a faulty reciever, slow stick might be a little big for a gym but is great in a golf dome. The MSW is deffinetly not an indoor plane. As much as I would like it to be I flew that in the dome though. and dandy sport is just a tad fast even with the sport wing. I will have to see how floaty my Stella is. I got to do a good covering job on this one. I'm thinking makin the whole plane White or Cream and then adding on top of that either Dark Red if anyone makes that color solite... I really need to get some more colors. I have 2 planes with the exact same color scheme because I only have two solid colors of solite I have Transparent blue and red, but don't know how well they would work in this situation. Time to go look on Mountain Models for some solite as its cheap and ships QUICK

Actually, just looked at the MM website and not really liking the colors of solite I mean, I like darker colors (IE: no yellow, orange, but Red is ok) I was thinking the dark green would be cool, but someone is already using that color scheme Decisions, Decisions... do they make any other colors then what is mentioned on the MM website? I saw a post by Martin Hunter (solite goddess for those who check out the parkies section occasionally ) and he had a stack of like 20 different solite colors Time to try SA.
Last edited by Kyle G.; Dec 15, 2004 at 10:47 PM.
Dec 15, 2004, 10:53 PM
Castle Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooHead
Hey Boyz.

I hope you guys have a pretty good sized work area. It's best if you can just get up and walk away from it with-out having to put everything away (i.e. kitchen table).
Joe your e40 is huge and will take up a 6' table.

CooHead
I'll be clearing off all 3 workbenches for the build. One 6ft. section, one 10ft. section, and one 4ft. section. Figure wing on the 10 footer, fuse on the 6 and tail feathers on the 4. What do you think? Best part is, the whole area is mine...all mine, nobody goes near it. Can leave everything where it drops.

Just got the dual aileron servos installed...painted the gap in the foam where I cut...wont be noticable. Waiting for the paint to dry then gonna trace it to the top wing and cut out the ailerons there. Tailfeathers come next (tonite as well)...then tomorrow I dont have to work so I'll be finishing it up...making all the connections etc. My least favorite part is all the control rods/horns...what about you guys??? Also another ? for you Moth guys...after I put the wings on are they permanent??? Can I take them off to get to the rx or what??? From the looks of it, theyre permanent...hope not...dont like the idea of "locking" all that stuff inside with no way to tinker. Back down to the workshop. Let you guys know how it goes.

Joe
Dec 15, 2004, 11:02 PM
Thread OP
Joe: The wings on the Pico moth aren't perminent. Me never used the TM 400 so I don't know, but I reckon if they are held on by rubberbands like on mine, the wings will be ackin to rip off But i don't know, what do the intructions say
Dec 15, 2004, 11:05 PM
Castle Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle G.
But i don't know, what do the intructions say
Thats the problem, they dont...with this one the bottom wing has a screw...but do I just place the struts in between the wings??? That doesnt seem very sturdy to me. Maybe I'll just make a hatch so I can get at it. Mike...you know???
Dec 15, 2004, 11:29 PM
Hey Guys:One thing I know Rafinski had problems with on the TM 400 was wing flex. The solution was a carbon fiber rod, don't know the dia. but small, across the bottom of the upper wing. He also taped some real small CF rods to the struts. Without this reinforcement the upper wing will flex and crack at the fuell tank. I have seen some guys add wires and tiny little turn buckles to the wings to stop the flexing. Now be careful not to take out all the flex. The wing must flex a little. Eric who used to be at Venture told me why but now I can't remember the reason

Jim....
Dec 15, 2004, 11:52 PM
Dieselized User
How did I miss the toilet story? I posted just after it and didn't see it. Oh well I never did anything like that anyway, except for the time I got some , forget it.

I have one of the Fantastic MiG-15. It's been in the box for like three years. Should get around to building that one. Hopefully, by the next dome session, not this weekend.

The last thread lasted a whole 13 days.

Greg
Last edited by gkamysz; Dec 15, 2004 at 11:56 PM.
Dec 16, 2004, 12:11 AM
Castle Tech
Jim...I embedded a carbon fiber rod into the top and added a 1/4" wide strip of CF sheet to the bottom of the upper wing. The fiberglass rod they provide was replaced with a piece of CF rod nearly double the thickness...then I glassed both wings with 1/2oz. fiberglass. They're strong as Regan can attest to. I also did the CF strips on the struts (was wonderin where I got that idea from, thanks Rafinski!)...thinking about adding metal fishing line wires between the struts like the real thing...either that or 40lb test fishing line spraypainted silver. Oh yeah...a little hurdle tonite. Ran out of silver spray paint!!! DOH! Back to Venture in the am. Got the upper ailerons cut out...waiting for the paint to dry (takes a while) and the elevator and rudder servos installed. Attach the control surfaces after my expedition to Venture and be finished hopefully in time for dinner. I'll post pics of the motor in the front...its cartoon lookin. lol
Dec 16, 2004, 12:54 AM
Electric Relaxation
Hey Joe here are a couple of pics of the Guillows planes we saw tonight. They have both been converted to electric. The B17 had 30 flights on it at the time of this pic.

Quick Reply