Jul 11, 2018, 08:10 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Build Log

150% Avro Vulcan

OK, so I decided to document my build of a 150% Avro Vulcan as first shown by BHOFM in this thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...oam-delta-wing

As I progress through the build I'll document it here.

Lets start with the plans.......

In that thread there was a link to the article and PDF Plans for the 1.0x version. I just imported that PDF into Autocad and then traced over top of it. Once that was done I scaled it up by 1.5x and BOOM, 150% bigger! While I was at it I used the information from this thread

Prop Slot Noise Reduction Design and Tests

to make the cut out for the prop. This will help it to be quieter and somewhat more efficient. I made a PDF of the drawing sheets and hopefully that will help others who try to make this model

Using those plans I made templates and cut out the parts last night. I gotta' say, it's a lot bigger in "real life". This is going to be a HUGE plane.

I'll start the initial glue up tonight and post photos as soon as I can
Last edited by Blacky's Boy; Jul 11, 2018 at 08:16 AM. Reason: added link
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2018, 01:06 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Wow! 150% Vulcan.

The B.3 was 120 foot span, that makes it 180 foot span. I hope you have plenty of foam.

Though I suppose you mean 150% of the 29 inch foamie. Shame, would have been impressive.

Last edited by eflightray; Jul 12, 2018 at 02:17 AM.
Jul 11, 2018, 06:25 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
I just set my Brothers Monochrome laser printer to 150% and pushed "print"!

It is a nice size plane!
Jul 11, 2018, 07:32 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM
I just set my Brothers Monochrome laser printer to 150% and pushed "print"!

It is a nice size plane!
Well,....that's certainly one (easier) way to get the job done.

I really wanted to actually scale it so I could lay out the parts and see how many sheets of 24" x 48" MPF it would take. And that number is (2).
Jul 15, 2018, 08:22 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Some progress

OK, the main parts are joined and you can see where I added the spars as well as some bbq skewers to the LE to help make the wing a bit stiffer. The pair of cf rods on the main wing that go back under the vert stab are there to help stiffen the back. It was an area on the small scale version I have that was always too flimsy for my tastes. I also added a strip of foam at the vert stab to help give it a bit more support.

I just need to install the rudder and elevons then it's onto the firewall and support structure. I want to back up that foam where the firewall is glued with some EPP. When building my Divinity 2 I found that this gives me a nice solid motor mount without going overboard on the weight. After all that is done I will install the electronics

It's still super light for it's size and I think I'm going to leave off any coloring (with tape) or keep it to an absolute minimum until I can maiden it and see how it performs.
Jul 16, 2018, 03:35 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky's Boy
Well,....that's certainly one (easier) way to get the job done.

I really wanted to actually scale it so I could lay out the parts and see how many sheets of 24" x 48" MPF it would take. And that number is (2).
There is always the 'old fashioned' method, a scaling pantograph.

That way you could even scale up and draw it directly onto the material. Though something the size of a wing could be a bit tricky, it's ideal for formers, ribs etc.

Jul 16, 2018, 06:36 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
I've used Pantograghs before but would much rather use CAD to scale up a drawing to the exact size I want and then easily manipulate (rotate, mirror, and move) the geometry to fit on a sheet.

28 years of using Autocad make that just how I roll.
Jul 22, 2018, 08:16 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

built and almost ready to maiden

This past week I mounted the elevons and rudder as well as their servos, the motor, ESC and Rx. Once they were in place I added a couple of strips of colored Navy blue packing tape to the underside of the wings for orientation. I also made some window and RAF insignias

I balanced it out tonight with a 1300mAh 3S Lipo and glued a couple tongue depressors where I want to add the velcro for the battery. I'll probably also add a small strap to help secure the battery

I still need bind the Rx to my DX9 and program it. Once that's done I can get ready to maiden it. But the weather doesn't look like it'll be cooperating. I may need to wait until the weekend.
Jul 23, 2018, 08:21 AM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Now I feel stupid!

Here I am trying to capture all this in a thread so people can find it easily and look what I found from 2016

Avro Vulcan in foam board from Model Aviation

Pretty much the exact same thing I'm doing but with MORE detail about the build. This member even incorporated the new prop slot design like I did.
Jul 23, 2018, 09:00 AM
Retired CAD guy
Don't feel bad.

With 9 Billion, on the planet it's very difficult to find anything new to do !
And I include all of the new fangled 21st century stuff too.

Just because it's been done does not mean it's less worthwhile.

I have model magazines dating back to the 1950's.
Grid leaks, Flying Models, Model plane news, Model aviation, RCModeler

Every plane you can imagine has been done and redone in each magazine.

So you are either Part of the Big plan
or
Watching from the sidelines

Now get out there and fly something !
Jul 23, 2018, 08:45 PM
Retired CAD guy
Just found this interesting "V" plane vid in another thread.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9&postcount=72
Jul 26, 2018, 08:47 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

Very uneventful maiden

It was picture perfect flying weather tonight so I got up the courage to maiden this big old beauty. It went much more easier than I had anticipated

The guys at the flying site really loved seeing something this big (and home made) go up.

1 5x Vulcan Foamie 7 26 2018 (3 min 26 sec)

This thing just FLOATS. You know how everyone here always says "build light"? Well I did this time and it paid off in spades. This thing can almost thermal.

I flew it a couple more time and had a hard landing on the last one. A couple of the glue joints popped loose but it's already fixed and you can't even tell it was repaired.
Jul 26, 2018, 10:26 PM
Kimbers Keeper.
Looking good, Flew mine last Saturday and it started acting strange, landed and one of the
push rod guides had come loose, no damage, just a bit weird flying.
Jul 30, 2018, 08:36 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

A walkaround and another Flight Video

Walk around showing the different tweaks and enhancements I made to the design
1 5x Vulcan foamie Part 1b (4 min 10 sec)

Flight Video with Runcam
1 5x Vulcan foamie Part 2 (5 min 4 sec)

The next day the left elevon's control horn broke and it went into a spin into the ground. It was in pieces but I just finished fixing it. I should be good to go again once the weather breaks.
Last edited by Blacky's Boy; Jul 31, 2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: fixed video

Quick Reply