Jul 11, 2018, 12:40 AM
Thread OP
Help!

newbie wants to build a lightweight quad, parts help

so, i wanna build a fpv quad thats no more than 250g.
what i had in mind was to DIY as much of it as possible. purpose would be hobby, acro, and photography/filming, but at a hobby level.

So, for the fpv part, I wanted to get a 4k hdr action camera, strip the plastic, and preferably the battery, and connect the camera portion itself to one motor that can stablize the up and down (vertical) axis (i prefer to be able to see roll and and horizontal plane).
so with that said, i was hoping to get a chip that can both, downsample and send video via vtx, and control the action camera so that the action camera can record and store 4k hdr in its own sd card. and a action camera that can work with this (i was looking at hawkeye firefly q6? i dont need a pro camera with a lcd and stuff). along with that, ik im gonna need one motor to control the vertical plane of the camera, but is stablization of that servo built into FC or will it need a different board connected to FC? FC i had in mind was a F7 series. I was thinking of going with pixhawk 4 bareback (without the plastic shell etc) or a usual AIO F7 (tho it wont run a fancy firmware due to small ROM capacity) but i dont know what betaflight can do.

2nd thing, betaflight. what kinda sensors can it handle? I was thinking of getting a sonar+optical flow along with liddars on the sides as proximity sensors and a speed sensor. and i dont know if usual FC7 or betaflight can support that.

I do want to keep an OSD and telemetry to know voltage/current/altitude/speed. and gps
and i also dont know if a non-pixhawk FC has enough rx/tx to fit all this.

in terms of DIY, ik its a long shot but ive got alotta broken stuff, including a old ar drone 2.0 with 2 fried boards, a few broken laptops etc, and i thought about etching a PCB and getting a STM32H7 and just DIY-ing the whole board but i dunno the schematics, and ive no idea how to add a co-processor to it (like pixhawk) and ive no idea where to find schematics for FMUv5/6 or anything, but i do have access to a university's lab (I'm a mech eng. student) so getting the parts, barebacking them into the chassis is do-able.
i'm also open to other low power/high performance platforms with lots of i/o. rasberry pi 3's got a broadcomm controller in a (pc ram style, something like SIODIMM or something) layout, but yea.

i wish parrot's anafi was a few grams lighter coz its a dream come true
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2018, 09:39 AM
why no more than 250g? thats pretty light for all the features you seem to want. you are wanting to build a photography rig basically with a gimbal, gps, and all that. just clone someone elses build that seems to have the features you are looking to have. once you figure out someone elses setup and can configure, troubleshoot, fly, and repair it then think about engineering your own stuff. picking out parts is fun, but definately can get confusing in the beginning.
Jul 12, 2018, 10:40 AM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
definitely a very tough build to pack into a 250g quad, even for a seasoned builder. (maybe impossible with current off the shelf parts.?)
bruce from rc model reviews started a series on that idea a while back, but never got very far. im not sure the status of the project now, that he has learned he only has limited time before he starts to lose his motor function from parkinson's.

even DJI couldn't get the spark under 300g.
Jul 12, 2018, 12:01 PM
Thread OP
250g coz of current regulations for drones. the way they are categorized is irrational af.

i did try but no one i found has tried the fpv part with an actual action camera (they all use 700vtl fpv cams and a seperate action camera) :/
Jul 12, 2018, 12:45 PM
FPV = Cardio
It's possible to do but you'll be limitted to a 500mah lipo and about a 30second flight time. Flight duration wasn't one of your criteria
Jul 12, 2018, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesculptor
250g coz of current regulations for drones. the way they are categorized is irrational af.

i did try but no one i found has tried the fpv part with an actual action camera (they all use 700vtl fpv cams and a seperate action camera) :/

meh, just dont be obnoxious and i doubt anyone will ever bother you.

with battery and an HD sport cam on a normal 5in freestyle rig you are looking around twice the 'legal' limit (if its 250g) for what ever they specifiy.
Jul 12, 2018, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by day o
Flight duration wasn't one of your criteria
shoot. good catch.

yep totally doable then, just as day o said.
Jul 12, 2018, 01:18 PM
https://rotorbuilds.com/build/3453

https://rotorbuilds.com/build/12935

no where near 250g, but seeing as you can diy sophisticated components from old laptops etc, registering a craft over 250g should be pretty simple.
Jul 12, 2018, 02:46 PM
FPV = Cardio
re: 1) Betaflight can control a servo to level the pitch of a camera. Look for a vid by Painless360 on how to do this. At the time Cleanflight and Naze32 were the hotness, so it's based on CF but its applicable to BF. I have the Firefly Q6. It's a great lil cam for the money. The color is cooler rather than warmer like a GoPro, so expect to do some cleanup. The video out can get noisey so don't be surprised to have to use an external voltage regulator to power it from the flight pack. It does have pretty low latency. I've flown using it as my FPV cam before.

edit... this Painless360 vid:
Naze32 Quick Tip - Setting up a Simple Pitch Camera Gimbal (9 min 6 sec)

re: 2) I believe BF can handle all of those sensors. Your limitation will be the available UARTs that your FC of choice has as well as the CPU. Speaking of.... re: 3) sounds like you'll be using an external minumOSD. You'll want to choose a FC that has an available I2C that isn't going to conflict or steal one of your other sensors' UART.
Jul 12, 2018, 03:41 PM
BF can technically use those sensors. It just doesn't do it anywhere near as nice as pixhawk.
Jul 12, 2018, 08:55 PM
Thread OP
thanks,
and i live in dt toronto, and its a huge no fly zone, i dun wanna risk it..
anyway,
i saw the disassembly of firefly q6
its like 45g, but without case and battery, i bet i can bring it down to 25ish g.
+50ish g for, say holybro kyute f7 aio + alta + 4-in-1 esc stack and a pbd
75g so far
say 40g for motors
115g
say, 25g for antennas/screws and 10 for sonar/pixflow (i think liddar is too much)
so.. how heavy are props and average battery?
anyone share ideas/make corrections to the weight issue?
Jul 12, 2018, 10:24 PM
What 10g (40/4=10)motors do you think you might go w? What size and kv? Which props are ya gonna flop on there? And for battery, 2, 3, 4, or 6s and what mah? You’re missing the frame also... size will effect the wieght. Everyone’s asking about how much flight time you’re aiming for also. Add 15g from a dual 5g servo gimbal at least. Do they not allow you to register in Toronto to be legit in Toronto? In your engineering program, do they typically recommend you reinvent the wheel when designing a new project or what? Sorry for being negative.
Jul 13, 2018, 09:51 AM
oddly enough, i actually have a 250g-ish flier... no gps unfortunately and ive never tried a HD cam on it, altho it could prob fly with one somehow.

Also, some more practical advice. Since you are a newbie, DO NOT fly in the city even a 250g flier bc you are more likely to destroy your craft and/or hurt someone else. Look for some grassy soccer fields with no trees and fly there until you master the basics. Concrete will ruin your components quickly.
Last edited by LemonC; Jul 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM.
Jul 13, 2018, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonC
What 10g (40/4=10)motors do you think you might go w? What size and kv? Which props are ya gonna flop on there? And for battery, 2, 3, 4, or 6s and what mah? You’re missing the frame also... size will effect the wieght. Everyone’s asking about how much flight time you’re aiming for also. Add 15g from a dual 5g servo gimbal at least. Do they not allow you to register in Toronto to be legit in Toronto? In your engineering program, do they typically recommend you reinvent the wheel when designing a new project or what? Sorry for being negative.
isnt 1 motor enough for a 1 axis gymbal?
was looking at mini/micro quad motors and frames based on that
2-3s
registering is a pain
you think every cellphone manufacturer takes the reference board from qualcomm to avoid "reinventing the wheel"?
Jul 13, 2018, 03:15 PM
sorry misread what you were wanting to do a bit...

altho a 250g flier with a servo tilt cam setup still seems a bit ambitious with a sport cam onboard even without the case.

Theres a few onboard dvr's you could incorporate with a simple tilt mechanism perhaps using a higher resolution fpv cam. The 3in i posted above has a eachine dtx03 on it... records without static but its been buggy for me. i built it before runcam sold their mini split hd component's dvr separately.

are you aware of the runcam split mini? https://www.getfpv.com/runcam-split-...CABEgKnffD_BwE

Quick Reply