Jul 10, 2018, 03:57 PM
Discussion

Separable wings and mounting

Hi,
I am designing and building a Cessna 208 with a 1.4 M span. For transport I have to take the wing off. and preferably it would seperate. I know about the rubber banding method, but to keep it scale I'd rather not use rubber bands. So how do you guys mount your wings? Also sharing your methods to secure two wing halfs together would be really appreciated. Note I am using depron for the wings.
Thanks so much for any answer,
Maarten
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 11:35 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
There are many ways to do this, but seeing that the 208 has wing-struts you can use this to your advantage.
Just devise a way to hold the wing-roots to the fuselage (plug-in tabs perhaps) and make the struts look after the flight and landing loads. A similar method to that used by real one.
Jul 11, 2018, 12:31 PM
Scratch builder
Years ago made a bird dog (balsa).

I used a wooden peg at the front spar going through the cockpit and two screws at the secondary spar back towards the trailing edge.

I made a one piece wing (1.5m span) for simplicity and strength.

This also eliminated complicated alignment issues of a two piece wing and strut supports.

The struts were attached to the wing with hinges and other ends plugged into a hole in each side of the fuselage.

They were very light alum. tube for decoration only.

The struts were inserted first just before the wing settled on the fuselage.

The wing was slid forward to engage the peg and then the screws could be tightened.

Quick Reply