Jul 10, 2018, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
Alert

Soaring nats poll/survey results

NATS SURVEY FINAL REPORT DATA 2018
Guy Russo LSF 838 V
55 respondents

Question 1: Which of the following events are of interest to you as a Soaring NATS participant or potential participant?
(check all that apply)

39 - ALES
38 - UNLIMITED
32 - RES
26 - F5J
21 - NOS
21 - 2 METER
20 - F3RES
14 - F3K
11 - F3J

Question 2: Rank these events 1 through 9 with 1 being the most important to you . Use each number only once. Use all 9 numbers.

(NOTE: this is an interest - disinterest poll. The lower the number the greater the interest)

187 - UNLIMITED
216 - ALES
225 - RES
263 - NOS
281 - F5J
289 - 2 MTR
302 - F3RES
307 - F3K
314 - F3J

Question 3: HOW MANY SOARING NATS HAVE YOU ATTENDED?

55 respondents have attended 322 Soaring NATS.

ALL 113 unedited comments were submitted to the LSF board.

Here is a synopsis of answers to the three sections.

1. What discourages you from participating?
Generally speaking: travel time distance to Muncie and expense of the trip. Getting a week off from work. This years schedule: ALES only one day putting 2M in with NOS and RES.
Reduced # of rounds. skill level. difficulty finding timers. Got Old.

2. What would encourage you to participate?
More ALES and F5J. Lower cost. Drop 2M from NOS and RES. Like after hours events.
Move NATS around the country. Connect days of similar aircraft.

3. Other Comments?
Several comments were: thanks for doing the survey and encouraging LSF to continue the NATS. More E-Launch events. Just canít please everyone.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 11:17 AM
the kitty litter of rcgroups
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flys View Post
14 - F3K
Seeing as there are about twice that many people that actually fly F3K at the Nats I would be very careful in looking too closely at the data you have with regards to F3K. Seems to me for whatever reason your survey wasn't able to capture data at a representative level from the DLG community.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jul 10, 2018, 01:03 PM
Thread OP

Ryan,
A number of folks who responded checked HL as the #1 choice. If you look at the results another way, 14 of 55 people have an interest in F3K. That is 25%. The ranking in question two is also telling. I think the F3K community is represented. This is, however a small sample and needs to be considered as such. NO suggestions were made to drop F3K. 2M, now that's a different story.
Jul 10, 2018, 01:52 PM
Interesting. That isn't my read of the data.

Ryan
Jul 14, 2018, 10:11 AM
Balsa breaks better
Just in case anyone is interested here are the number of enteries this year.
If I were able to escape work there would be one more for 2M, Nos, RES and Unlimited.
I will be there next year . . . ;>)

Joe
Jul 14, 2018, 03:21 PM
Going in circles.
I attempted to do the survey, but was unable to save the .pdf with my answers. Maybe next time use a free service like surveymonkey.com? Too bad people have a thing against 2M. It's definitely a challenging event, and I don't think anyone would ever call it a landing contest. It's the reason I started going to the Nats 4 years ago.
Jul 15, 2018, 04:57 AM
Amen Jim! Luv me some 2m! I was not able to participate in the survey either. That is one positive for this year's schedule is it gave a boost to 2m participation by allowing the DLG guys like Doug Pike to fly in it.

Jim, what events are you flying this year?

Can't wait for glider camp!

-Randy
Jul 15, 2018, 09:43 PM
Going in circles.
I'll be doing 2M/RES/NOS and will also be attempting Unlimited for the first time. Might be a little bit nervous about that. lol
Jul 16, 2018, 06:59 AM
Jeff Carr
Jim

Nothing to be nervous about. Youll have about 50 of your very good friends helping. The flight line always has people there to help. if you cant find someone we will find them for you

Jeff
Jul 16, 2018, 08:02 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I'm a pretty active guy in soaring... CD of the F3K NATs... past TM of F3J...

Never knew this survey existed until today.
Jul 17, 2018, 01:13 PM
Thread OP

Survey follow up

There are a lot of things that could have been done better... But I do believe the results are in line with general participant interests.
There are 278 NATS entrants of which 34 are 2M or 14%. . In the survey there are 222 responses of which 14 ranked 2M or about 12%. very close.
I am bringing some surveys to the NATS so anyone who did not see the postings can still participate.
The overall intent was to give the LSF board some feedback and perhaps help with 2019 schedule.
The LSF meeting at the NATS is an open meeting....

NATS NUTS... ALES,F5J, 2M, RES, NOS, UNLM....
Guy
Jul 17, 2018, 01:25 PM
Quote:
There are 278 NATS entrants of which 34 are 2M or 14%. . In the survey there are 222 responses of which 14 ranked 2M or about 12%. very close.
Can you expound upon what those numbers refer to?

Ryan
Jul 17, 2018, 03:12 PM
Going in circles.
Maybe you're getting your numbers from someplace else, but according to the AMA Nats registration page there are 105 Soaring registrants, of which, 28 are signed up for 2 meter. That's 26.6 % of the registrants flying 2 meter.
Jul 17, 2018, 03:18 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
There are 278 NATS entrants of which 34 are 2M or 14%. .
NATS NUTS... ALES,F5J, 2M, RES, NOS, UNLM....
Guy
It shows 102 registrants in Soaring of which there are 27 Open and 1 Senior flying in 2M which works out to 27.45%.
There are however 34 flying in F3K which works out to 33.33%. . . ;>)

This based on the photo below of Soaring registrants.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/nats/regstats.aspx

Scroll down the list we are in there . . . ;>)

Joe
Jul 17, 2018, 03:19 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderJim View Post
Maybe you're getting your numbers from someplace else, but according to the AMA Nats registration page there are 105 Soaring registrants, of which, 28 are signed up for 2 meter. That's 26.6 % of the registrants flying 2 meter.
Where did those three come from . . . sorry folks I used old info ;>(

Joe

Quick Reply