Any Ol' Vintage Thang (50+) 10 18.87%
Country of Birth Designs 7 13.21%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Jul 10, 2018, 02:15 AM
B for Bruce
Discussion

Poll for the second build of 2018

Notice-
Poll will end at Midnight Wednesday July 25.
If you have not voted for your favorite theme then vote now.

OK folks, I've managed to procrastinate for long enough. Time to get the poll for the next build running.

I've got six options for your consideration. Two are the "bridesmaids" from the last build and four are new.

One of the options is "Outerzone no picture designs". Steve has given us a few search links to use to browse the roughly 2070 plans that do not have pictures included. I've just touched on a couple of dozen and found everything from power to scale to gliders to rubber and even a couple of oddball designs. So this is ALMOST an "any old thing" sort of option but with a nice nod of appreciation to Steve for starting and running the Outerzone site. So before you pick one of the other categories take an hour or two to browse the plans for the pre 1970 option. Likely as not there will be something you like there.

Steve as pre-packaged some "no photo" searches for us which you can find at https://outerzone.co.uk/search/custo...hoto/index.asp .

Since this is the Vintage forum I'm thinking that the option for "up to 1970 is likely a good fit for us. But if there's enough whining and snivelling we'll bump it to 1975. But that's really getting up to the ragged edge for vintage models done from balsa and other wood stuff.....

The Country of Origin is for designs by modelers that come from your country of birth.

The option for "really oddball" designs would be for models with truly outstandingly odd design characteristics. Pretty well anything but a conventional tractor design would be kosher. And even a "conventional" design would fit if it has something really odd about it. Like if someone wanted to do one of the old free flight power duration VHTL models such as Stan Hills' Vector Director The use of the VHTL pylon is sufficiently weird enough compared to the relatively popular HTL options like the Viking or Starduster that it would qualify.

So please take some time to look through the "no picture" designs at OZ before you vote. But if you truly can't find anything you like or have your heart seriously set on something that fits the other options then by all means vote as you wish.

In the lead up to the poll it was mentioned that summer is a bad time for building. And I agree with that. So the intent is to start the new build on Aug 1 but to run it for six months right up to midnight of Jan 31 2019.
Last edited by BMatthews; Jul 23, 2018 at 06:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2018, 05:33 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Darn it..! There's two categories I'd be keen on, but only one vote..! Ain't it always the way..?
Jul 10, 2018, 07:16 AM
Culper Junior
Whining and sniveling? Here?
Jul 10, 2018, 07:40 AM
Damn I've got the BE2c plans but I've also got other committments! https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=657
Jul 10, 2018, 08:43 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Whining and sniveling? Here?
A speciality. One gets used to it after a few decades.
Jul 10, 2018, 09:17 AM

What to do till 1st Aug?

Hi all Build Offers (Builders Off?)
What to do till then?
The monsoon is here and even the Golf Course is overgrown and too slushy to play, forget about our two flying fields.
Canít even reach them without an SUV/ 4 wheel drive!
Iíve requested WMD to add the No Photo option to the Tag Matrix on Outerzone if possible.

Meanwhile Iím going to select models for all Poll categories, except the last.
I fear Iíve not come across any plans of Indian origin (other than my own )

@BMatthews,
Six months seems a long time. Would have liked a 2 month timeline.
Whining and snivelling, as aeronca52 says
But thatís how life goes...
All my emails automatically signoff as ĎSent from my IPadí.
Have to modify it to say ĎSent from my IPad mounted on a standí

Regards
Jul 10, 2018, 11:16 AM
B for Bruce
The history of these builds is that they are usually run for 5 to 7 months. I know it seems like a long time but oddly enough it goes fast as seen with the number of models that got started but not finished in the last build..... And don't go pointing out how brokenspar managed to do FOUR models in that same time. I can only surmise that his work bench is medically attached to his spine or some such thing....

I was wanting to keep the build within the 2018 limits but then I realized that this would mean that the critical last two weeks are right in the Christmas and New Year holiday time where few or none of us has any control over what and where we will be thanks to greedy family members wanting to actually see and converse with us....

I know it's a different world where you are what with monsoons messing things up and all. No real summer and winter there, eh? Just "wet" and "not so wet" seasons? But as you say it gives you some time to ponder and pick a good design. And there's nothing saying that you can't start a long desired project of your own!

Now that I've put k k iyer in his place what about the rest of you? Does Jan 31/2019 sound OK or would you like to keep this second 2018 build within the limits of 2018 by calling for a Dec 31 midnight cutoff?
Latest blog entry: Garden Gliders
Jul 10, 2018, 12:09 PM

To build during the Monsoon?

Strange how memory can randomly access data 50-60 years old.
Remembered that long ago Graupner had a model just right for the season here now.
(Forgive the spelling please, Graupner is German )
And I guessed WMD would have it in his stash...
Itís called the Monsun (unintended play on words?)
https://outerzone.co.uk/more_pics.asp?ID=7445
Jul 10, 2018, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
Damn I've got the BE2c plans but I've also got other committments! https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=657
Damn! I like that! that would make an awesome build.
Jul 11, 2018, 01:36 PM
I am set to go, have found designs that fit every category, except Country of birth. I still have 2 to finish, so any start/end date is good

Greg
Jul 11, 2018, 02:28 PM
B for Bruce
I'm OK too. The Joe Ott Sky Pursuit that I wanted to do for the RDBO but which summer commitments caught up to has no picture either. I feel like a crook that just got let go with a warning....
Latest blog entry: Garden Gliders
Jul 12, 2018, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by remitt
Damn! I like that! that would make an awesome build.
Remitt, if you are not going to download and print the plan, pm me your postal address and you may have it for the cost of the postage. I have too many other aeromodelling projects. I'm never going to live long enough to build it.
Last edited by Monza Red; Jul 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM.
Jul 12, 2018, 01:19 PM

Too old to rock and roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monza Red
I have too many other aeromodelling projects.
I'm never going to live long enough to build it.
Sir,
If you could kindly indicate broadly the numbers, then an oldie like me can divide my remaining models by my remaining years to decide how many entries to make in each yearís Build Off(s)
Regards.
Jul 12, 2018, 02:56 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Quote:
Originally Posted by k k iyer
I’ve requested WMD to add the No Photo option to the Tag Matrix on Outerzone if possible...
Ok, have just added this to the Tag Matrix pages at https://outerzone.co.uk/advanced/sea...trix/index.asp now So now there is a new setting for "No Pics" which limits your search results to only those plans that have no model pic. Hope that works right.

Steve
Last edited by WMD; Jul 12, 2018 at 03:11 PM. Reason: doh, added link to that page
Jul 12, 2018, 03:00 PM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
I should add... like Bruce said, if you prefer other options then by all means vote as you wish. Up to the group, of course.

Quick Reply