2018 Rubber Design Built Off Results - RC Groups
Jul 08, 2018, 10:17 PM
B for Bruce
Discussion

2018 Rubber Design Built Off Results

After a rather busy week I've managed to compile this completion thread for the 2018 Rubber Design Build Off project.

HERE IS A LINK to the original sign up thread and Builder's List

We started out with a healthy 39 hopeful faces. Along the way good intentions and real life stepped on a few and we've arrived at the other end with what seems like 21 completed and in many cases completed and flown models.

If any of you that participated did complete your models and I somehow missed this in your build thread please let me know and I'll add you onto this thread.

To all that participated whether finished or not I'd like to offer a cheer for your efforts. The whole point of these projects is to promote building which hopefully keeps you out of trouble. To those that finished the models an additional WELL DONE! And to those that actually got to fly them? Well, that's just the cherry on top of the whipping cream, eh?

An added "ATTABOY!" applies to our prolific brokenspar and mlcbo. Brokenspar for completing no less than FOUR models and to mlcbo for producing two. These two are sources of encouragement to the rest of us. WELL DONE to both of you ! ! ! !

I know that in the past we've included a popularity poll. I honestly feel that with an array of great models covering a very wide range of sizes and control options that the results of such a poll don't really offer any real meaning to the build and at worse are a slap to those that don't happen to choose a project which happens to have the same pizzazz as some. So I'm not including the option for a poll in this case. Instead if you have a favorite please post a comment for the builder to read instead of just looking at some line on a chart.

Here is the list of finished models with links to the threads and a picture of the completed models as pulled from the build threads. I just hope that this many pictures and links all in one post does not choke the RCG servers....

1- dgliderguy - Kiel Kraft Competitor - Enlarged for electric and RC

2-Gere Sport -Frog Pup - enlarged twin electric RC

3-PETERRAKE - Comet Big Dipper - rubber powered

4-sideslipper - Bill Dean Contestor - stock size modified for RC

5-bokenspar - Korda Victory - scaled to 42 inches, RET electric power

6-victapilot - Supersonic Sue, stock size modified for micro RC electric power

7-nickharp - Keilkraft Percival P.56 Provost by Albert E. Hatfull - rubber power from kit

8-Dad3353 - Udet Flamingo, MAN 1935 - double size (120cm) electric RC

9- DaveWB - Frog Widgeon - stock size for rubber power

10-aeronca52 - Jetco Hawk - original size rubber power

11-brokenspar - Simple Simon - enlarged for electric RC

12-Scaledown - Heinkel He-112 from Comet kit plans - stock size rubber power

13-Alpha Whiskey - Rubberdub - original 30" size converted to small diesel and RC

14-PaulBrad - Comet Sr Dipper - stock size for rubber power

15-No Step - Lamb Climber - Stock size for electric RC

16-remitt - Setter - stock size for rubber

17-brokenspar - Scientific Sky Master - enlarged for electric RC

18-brokenspar - The Billy T - stock size rubber power

19-k k iyer - Walt Mooney Druine Turbulent - rubber power stock span of 15"

20-mlcbo - Comet Pepper - rubber power laser cut kit from Volare Products

21-mlcbo - Guillows T-28 Trojan - stock size modified for electric and RC
Last edited by BMatthews; Jul 13, 2018 at 03:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2018, 11:05 PM
Old Timer
WOW!! This one is going to be difficult.
Jul 08, 2018, 11:17 PM
All looking GOOD.
Jul 09, 2018, 04:46 AM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Wow..! That's an impressive list of builds, all pretty as pictures..!
(Note to Bruce: When you've a second, could you please amend the link n 16 to read 'Setter', and not 'Sepper'..? Ah, that was quick; thank you..! Tired ol' eyes indeed..! Well done and thanks for all the hard work gone into in organising this whole bash. (Three hearty cheers resound throughout Dad Cottages Hip Hip, Hoorah..! Hip Hip, Hoorah..! Hip Hip, Hoorah..!...)
Last edited by Dad3353; Jul 09, 2018 at 01:42 PM.
Jul 09, 2018, 08:02 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Well done, mates. And thanks Bruce for organizing things.
Jul 09, 2018, 10:07 AM
@BMatthews
Big thanks for organising this build off.
Introduced me to some real camaraderie...
And your wisdom in avoiding a poll.
Beauty in different garbs to be admired rather than compared!
Regards
Iyer
Jul 09, 2018, 10:15 AM
Thanks Bruce and all the builders and advisors. A really stimulating and encouraging experience for me after many years of neglecting this wonderful hobby.
Well done all those magnificent men and their magnificent vintage flying machines!!!!
Nick
Jul 09, 2018, 12:28 PM
B for Bruce
Dad, for some reason I originally put in "Stepper" for Remitt's model. I took out the "t" and forgot to amend the "p's". Fixed now....

Quote:
Beauty in different garbs to be admired rather than compared!
K k iyer, my feelings exactly. I think the efforts all deserve their share of admiration.

And there's no way that any of us can scan down that line of photos and not see a whole lot of great results. And best of all the building is just the beginning in this hobby.....
Jul 09, 2018, 01:40 PM
Jul 09, 2018, 02:32 PM
Those are fantastic models gents! Wow
Jul 10, 2018, 01:09 AM
Great model building and beautiful models all, thanks for the build logs and the Build Off.
Jul 10, 2018, 01:58 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
A great collection of beautifully built models. All great but for sheer persistence you have to admire Dad3353, for struggling against all odds kkiyer, for unbelievable speed whilst maintaining super quality mlbco and for sheer volume of immaculate models brokenspar. But well done everyone.
Jul 10, 2018, 05:28 AM

Jul 10, 2018, 01:46 PM
Just thumbing through...
Nice work guys!
Jul 10, 2018, 01:54 PM
B for Bruce
I've just picked the name out of the hat for the razor plane. It should come as no real surprise that brokenspar stacked the deck with his four builds and his name came out. Congrats to you brokenspar!

Quick Reply