Feb 16, 2019, 11:13 PM
Thread OP
A little more done, hoping to make substantial progress over next couple of days. Have to get the interior started so I can install the windows to finish the upper planking--but goal this weekend is to finish the lower.

Got the sheeting for the cockpit in place, and lined the cabin with Depron that will be covered. Have the windows cut out of acrylic, need to trim them with aluminum tape and then put in place for the planking. And of course need to have an instrument panel to dress up the cockpit and give something for the pilot to look at...Pete M
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2019, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
So except for a couple of seats and control yokes, interior is pretty much set...Pete M
Feb 18, 2019, 04:57 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
I trust the interior appointments will be rich Corinthian leather!?

Gorgeous job, thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Duane
Feb 18, 2019, 10:40 PM
Thread OP

It always takes longer than you think...

Thanks, Duane, appreciate the comments

So yesterday was a family day but I was able to put some time in on it today. Thought I would get the bottom completely planked but was just a tad overoptimistic. Sides took forever and then it takes what it takes. So a goal for the end of next weekend...Pete M
Feb 24, 2019, 06:34 PM
Thread OP

So I was sure....

I would have all the planking done this weekend. That lasted until Wednesday when I ran out of 36" length strips. More on order but won't be here until late this week. So I was only able to do a little bit more...Pete M
Mar 03, 2019, 10:12 PM
Thread OP

The fuselage is planked!!!

But yes, I still have to do the doors...

Still, I feel good about getting this pretty much done. I do have to glue in the remaining birch strips, but after that just have to install the music wire keel guard and it's pretty much ready for polyurethane and trimming.

With respect to weight, due to before and after measurements I now have a pretty good estimate of how much the planking added: 1 pound. But the real number of interest will be what the final weight turns out to be...Pete M
Last edited by pmisuinas; Mar 03, 2019 at 10:19 PM.
Mar 04, 2019, 03:34 PM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Awesome!!! Looks like a custom canoe.

I wouldn't worry about the weight ... with all that wing, you might've increased the loading by 1 oz./sq. ft. It should still thermal on a duck fart.
Mar 10, 2019, 11:23 PM

Custom (ized) privateer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas
Progressing--a bit more done. Details in the pictures...Pete M
Clean and verry shart Bravo Pete
Mar 18, 2019, 08:10 AM
Thread OP

And the beat goes on....

So I am making a concerted effort to get this done. Will be putting in as much time as I can to try and finish in 3 weeks, if I can keep the pace up I should be ok....

Did get a bit done this weekend, just not what I thought it would be. I was hoping to get the flap servos installed, that is the last major wing work keeping me from joining the panels and covering the wing. But finalizing the fuselage continues to take more time than expected. But it all has to be done, so not a big deal one way or the other.

Pictures and comments outline my progress. Need to be less ambitious with the aluminum trim, which is taking a long time to complete. Figure at least another full day to finish the fuselage. Then a couple more coats of WBPU to seal and shine...Pete M
Mar 18, 2019, 01:55 PM
hi Pete,

Can you tell us more about your use of aluminum tape as trim?

(I went back thru the thread and noted posts 24, 44, 48, 53 and 61 where you mentioned it on the stab, cowl, etc.)

In particular, is the tape a typical off the shelf, big box store item: typically in 1" to 2" wide rolls with an adhesive on the back?

How did you do the uniform raised dimples on the tape …. a fabric "woodpecker" with relatively dull teeth?

Are you overcoating the aluminum tape with a finish?

Anything else that would be helpful information.

Nice build.

Thanks

Michael in Ontario, Canada
Mar 18, 2019, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
It's an aluminum tape, 2 13/16" wide, 50 yds long, weighs 10.55 grams per sq ft or 3.35 oz per sq yd. I have several rolls from a case I bought some time ago, as this quality (IMO) was not available in a store.

I am using a dress maker's wheel for the rivets, press on the back and you gets raised "rivets", on the front for "flush". I am doing mine on the front (flush), but I have pictures from another project that shows the raised.

I have not overcoated anything yet but once the model is together will be putting a coat of WBPU on all of it, mostly to seal the edges and help keep the aluminum covering edges from coming up.

Will see if I can find the address where I bought it...Pete M
Mar 18, 2019, 07:36 PM
Thread OP
The primary tool, and what you can do when you go for the raised rivet look...could not find any more info on the tape, been too long since I got it. Pete M
Mar 28, 2019, 07:59 AM
There are some who call me....
Looking really good, Pete. Can't wait to see is all together.

Quick Reply