Mar 31, 2019, 12:07 AM
Thread OP

So today (yesterday?) was a good day...

Finally got past my speed bump--flap installation. It was holding up progress big time. I needed the flaps in so I could join the panels, which will let me really start making progress. As usual, pictures have the details...Pete M
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2019, 12:16 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Excellent progress, and I love (and intend to pinch) the brass tube over cable with 'Z' bend! Brilliant idea - I have simply put a 'Z' bend in the cable before, but that produced a rather soft junction and was not over happy with it.
Thank you,
PeteM
Mar 31, 2019, 10:39 PM
Thread OP
Got a lot done but little to show for it--the devil is in the details. Got my dihedral braces in and reconstructed all the deconstruction I had to do. Some bay sheeting in place and sanding done. Need to do my aileron extensions and then I can finish the panel bay sheeting and cover the wing. What I will be working towards tomorrow...Pete M
Apr 04, 2019, 11:16 AM
DHG
DHG
Kinetic Sculptor
Man, I dunno, you lost some wing area with that shorter span. Might have pushed your wing loading up to—what—5 ounces per square foot? Watch out for sudden high-speed stalls!!!

But seriously, that's beautiful work. I, too, love that innovative Z-bend-over-the-cable trick. Seems like you can always learn something from these threads, even if it's just as an aside.

Cheers,
Duane
Apr 05, 2019, 07:35 AM
Thread OP
Had to stop over the last week due to family issues, so progress has been nil. But should be able to get back to it this weekend.

Yeah, the wing span loss is bothering me too, so I think I am going to extend the center section 2" on each side to make up for it. If having 9 1/2 feet instead of 10 for the wing was annoying me, I don't want to think about how it being 9 2/3 feet would feel
Apr 05, 2019, 08:42 AM
Hi Pete,

Just caught up on your thread and it is all looking great.

I really like the use of the aluminum tape.

Mike
Apr 05, 2019, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Duane, yes, the tubing over the cable is a lot easier (and lighter) than soldering on a pushrod connector and then using a clevis, especially if you don't need the adjustment capability. Here I adjusted the fit at the servo end, since it is buried where it connects to the flap anyway.

Mike, the tape is working out well, and it really adds to the look. Pete M
Apr 10, 2019, 06:11 AM
Thread OP

Prep work for covering almost done...

With good weather, wife is insisting I have to do yard and house maintenance so is chasing me out of my hobby room. But still making progress if at a slower pace...

Made up my aileron servo extensions and got them in place, these needed to be done before I could do the remaining panel bay sheeting. The sheeting is done top and bottom, waiting on the spackling to set on the wing root bay sheeting since covering that area will be different now that I am going to add 2" extensions to the center panel. Cut out the wing covering and Mod-Podge'd it, all that's left is to do the wing panels with BalsaLoc. May not get it covered by the weekend, but it will definitely be covered by the end of the weekend Pete M
Apr 14, 2019, 10:14 PM
Thread OP

Covered wing..

Had to work it in with all the other stuff going on at home, but got it done. The wing float mount is braced against the forward tube and is glued in placed, then secured by a Tyvek wrap. Now on to adding that extra 4" to the center section...Pete M
May 05, 2019, 12:51 AM
Thread OP
So wife was in an auto accident first of April, broke wrist and fractured her knee, which meant I was full time care taker when not at work. As such progress came to a halt. However, visit to doctor on Friday was good news. Cast is off wrist and knee brace unlocked so she can begin rehab, which means I now can take some time for this. Goal is to have it ready for club contest in 2 weeks, it is going to be close.

So today did the extensions, I now have a 10 foot wing. Have to sheet the extensions and cover them, hope to get that done tomorrow (actually today, Sunday, since I am typing this in the early morning hours). Also got a little trim on one of the wings. At least some progress...Pete M
May 05, 2019, 01:25 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Project looking close now, and all the best for your wife's full recovery.
May 05, 2019, 06:19 PM
Thread OP
My revised center wing section, in prep for covering...Pete M
May 11, 2019, 10:21 PM
Thread OP
So seemed like I didn't get much done for the time spent, but then again feel good about my progress. Looking forward to getting a bit more done tomorrow. Per usual, pictures tell the story...Pete M
May 12, 2019, 03:24 PM
Thread OP

And main landing gear....

means a tailwheel, of course. Similar to what I have done on other seaplanes, I have a plug in tail wheel. When removed, a water rudder takes its place.

Spent the morning doing the tailwheel and doing trim, time to break for supper...Pete M
May 13, 2019, 06:09 AM
There are some who call me....
Great idea with the biscuit joint for the removable tail wheel. Looking forward to seeing this beauty fully assembled, though I think you may need to ask Google Earth to take the pic from space to get her all in one frame.

Quick Reply