Jul 06, 2018, 04:05 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Thread OP
Cool

Stroke of luck

I was pointed in the direction of a lady on Facebook who was disposing of her late husband's kit collection. There was quite a list of kits ranging from the mundane to the desirable, but it wasn't until I realised that she was located about 30 minutes drive from us that I started to look at them seriously and saw two models that I have always had a yen to build, the Veron kits for the Fokker DVIII 46 inch sport scale and the Hawker Tomtit 52 inch full house biplane. Well, with my 77th birthday coming up in a couple of days Ali insisted I treat myself, I couldn't resist these two and also picked up a kit for Vic Smeed's little Damsel Fly flying boat which will be ideal for single channel. All three will get the electric treatment. Should keep me quiet for next winter, I hope I live long enough to finish them!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2018, 04:32 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Nice find!
Jul 06, 2018, 06:07 PM
'Douglas' to his friends.
Good Stuff, well done. Your good lady is a keeper, too, and she's right. At a certain time in Life, one has to decide that now is the time to do it, whatever it is.
Jul 06, 2018, 11:10 PM
Intermediate Multi
Apparently Facebook’s good for something after all.
Jul 07, 2018, 12:24 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
Good stuff George. I'm not surprised that you're pleased!
Jul 07, 2018, 01:53 AM
Always wanted a Veron Tomtit (still do) - great find!

I'll watch out to see how yours goes for sure.
Jul 07, 2018, 02:37 AM
Where's the lift?
Good score there, George, especially that Tomtit. My kind of plane!

I still keep acquiring kits in my august years, too, at a fearsome pace (I will be turning 64 next week). I've come to the sobering realization that I will never be able to build all of the kits in my collection, so I look at it this way--- the greater the selection, the more perfect each choice when it comes time to start another. I presume some other lucky bloke will build the remaining kits after I am gone, and that's just fine with me... In the meantime, there is a sense of security in having such an indulgent glut of kits in my stash.
Jul 07, 2018, 03:35 AM
Who did the Damsel Fly Kit George? Hope the wings are equal about the centre line on the plan.

Regards Ian
Jul 07, 2018, 03:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Good score there, George, especially that Tomtit. My kind of plane!

I still keep acquiring kits in my august years, too, at a fearsome pace (I will be turning 64 next week). I've come to the sobering realization that I will never be able to build all of the kits in my collection, so I look at it this way--- the greater the selection, the more perfect each choice when it comes time to start another. I presume some other lucky bloke will build the remaining kits after I am gone, and that's just fine with me... In the meantime, there is a sense of security in having such an indulgent glut of kits in my stash.
That's pretty much how I feel Don - trouble is, being 13 years in front of you my remaining building time is more limited! In consequence, and also in deference to the fact that I like building from plans, I have tried to limit the kit collection which, in addition to the above three consists of a Black Magic, two sizes of FW190, three Westwings kits, a 36 inch Cub and smaller Widgeon and Puss Moth and (the shame of it!!) an ARTF Extra 300. At eleven in total that hardly qualifies as a small hill, let alone a mountain, compared to what some of the guys on this forum have accumulated! That is plenty though, although I have to admit that I was only saved from adding another - an Airsail Auster AOP9 - along with the Fokker and Tomtit because someone beat me to it, which, in the long run, is probably a good thing!
Jul 07, 2018, 06:10 AM
Seems you're going to be busy!
Jul 09, 2018, 04:22 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Oooh, that Veron Tomtit is nice. I've not come across that one before. George, I was just about to ask you if a big scan was possible, but have googled the plan and found some decent scans online ...with a tiny section missing when they get stitched together. Soooooo.... is there any chance of a scan of this here circled red bit in the middle? Then I can patch it all together and have a complete plan for Oz.

Steve
Jul 09, 2018, 05:51 AM
Thread OP
I'll see what I can do for you Steve.
Jul 09, 2018, 07:43 AM
WMD
WMD
Womble of Model Depiction
Thanks, I much appreciate that. No rush at all - the rest of this here plan scan is all a bit twisted and it needs some careful re-aligning, so no rush at all.
Jul 10, 2018, 09:32 AM

Happy Birthday

@sundancer,
Many Happy Returns of the Day.
Mine is next week, but feels far less significant, as only the 65th.
Hope you have all your family around you to celebrate.
Regards
Jul 10, 2018, 10:00 AM
Thread OP
Thank you kk, I had a nice day.

Quick Reply