Jul 06, 2018, 07:44 AM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Thread OP
Discussion

Extreme Flight 60" Laser EXP V2

My goal is to point out the differences between the V1 and V2 60" Laser. I have built more V1's than I would prefer to think about (should have started with a foamy) and have over 1000 flights on the V1. Because the 60" Laser is "my go to plane", I have a spare V1 that I also unboxed to compare with. I also have a V1 that I'm currently flying.

The components remind me of the 60" Slick V2. It's light, rigid and the covering is perfect. There are hardly any wrinkles to iron. The fiberglass parts are the same and paint match is good. The fuselage and horizontal tail are the biggest changes. I weighed the two fuselages with a fish scale. The V1 was 1# 2 oz. and the V2 was 15 oz. (3 oz. lighter)! Each of the wings were 1 oz. lighter with the V2 (7 oz. vs. 8 oz.). Baffles are included, along with landing gear cuffs and a red 63 mm cyclone spinner.

The Slick V2 stabilizer has a notch in the front for alignment of the leading edge, but the Laser V2 also has an indentation to align the trailing edge too. I will be verifying and correcting if necessary any side to side tilt. When I have the plane coming towards me, I like to see the wing and tail perfectly parallel. Like the Laser V1 the elevator halves on the V2 are connected, but when applying torque on each of the halves in opposite directions, the V1 is a little stronger. There is a plug included for the rear of the fuselage for after tail installation. The fit of the plug is pretty good.

The manual is the same except for the cover and page 3 and does not cover any changes like the tail assembly, cuffs or baffles. Graphics for the red model are the same.

There has been some concerns about the landing gear area with some Slick V2 owners. I have not had a problem with mine, but I fly at home on a smooth, short grass airstrip. The Laser V1 has more "beef" in that area with the ply running through the ends of the landing gear block that the V2 does not have. Like the Slick V2, the Laser V2 has carbon fiber spars running through that area. I will be using thin CA on the balsa around that area on the V2.

I will continue to post any other observations or helpful hints during my build and most importantly, I will give my opinion on how the V2 flies compared to the V1. I will be building it exactly the same as the V1's, Torque II, Airboss 80, 16x7 PJN, 7245's and Pulse 3700-65c. My build will be slow (2-3 weeks). Winter is a better time for me to build and summer is a good time to fly.

I welcome any other comments.
Last edited by high flyer Rich; Jul 10, 2018 at 07:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2018, 08:04 AM

Beautiful plane!

Thanks for the detailed unboxing report!
Last edited by Trill; Jul 06, 2018 at 08:35 AM.
Jul 06, 2018, 09:19 AM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trill
Thanks for the detailed unboxing report!
My pleasure! I wanted to point out things that I would be interested in.
Jul 06, 2018, 09:29 AM
Well, thank you for starting the 60” Laser V2 thread and thank you for your objectivity and high standards.
Jul 06, 2018, 10:47 AM
Team Extreme Flight
I'm going to phase out my 60" Extra because I've already got six Extras and the 60" red laser is my dream plane. If the Slick V2 is anything to go by, the Laser V2 is going to be the ultimate, and I will have the gear, so this has to happen.

Thanks for the break down, Rich. Lots of great info there.
Jul 06, 2018, 10:54 AM
Try anything once!!
Awesome!!
Jul 06, 2018, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Austin
I'm going to phase out my 60" Extra because I've already got six Extras and the 60" red laser is my dream plane. If the Slick V2 is anything to go by, the Laser V2 is going to be the ultimate, and I will have the gear, so this has to happen.

Thanks for the break down, Rich. Lots of great info there.
Doc,

Delighted to read that you will be flying a red
60” Laser V2 soon.

Eager to read your reports and watch your videos (the ones where we can hear the motor)!

Be and stay well!

All the best,
AC
Jul 06, 2018, 05:02 PM

Top quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by high flyer Rich
There has been some concerns about the landing gear area with some Slick V2 owners. I have not had a problem with mine, but I fly at home on a smooth, short grass airstrip. The Laser V1 has more "beef" in that area with the ply running through the ends of the landing gear block that the V2 does not have. Like the Slick V2, the Laser V2 has carbon fiber spars running through that area.
Perhaps I should compare the landing gear bay and landing gear block of my 60” Slick V2 with the same of my 60” Laser V1.

Your photos show that the construction of the landing gear block and bay is different on the V1 versus the V2 Laser.

One question is which construction is stronger and more durable. Based on your visual inspection, do you prefer the landing gear block and bay of the V1 or V2?

Let’s see how the landing gear on the 60” Laser V2 perform versus the landing gear on the 60” Laser V1.

Did I tell you that I used to fly at a flying field in Missouri?
Jul 06, 2018, 07:51 PM

Cyclone spinner

Quote:
My goal is to point out the differences between the V1 and V2 Laser. Baffles are included, along with landing gear cuffs and a red 63 mm cyclone spinner.

I welcome any other comments.
Was the red 63mm cyclone spinner included with the kit or did you purchase separately?
Jul 06, 2018, 10:50 PM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Thread OP
Quote:
One question is which construction is stronger and more durable. Based on your visual inspection, do you prefer the landing gear block and bay of the V1 or V2?
IMO, the better landing gear construction to survive a rough landing is the V1 design. The landing gear bolts go through the Landing gear block and through the ply on each side with the blind nuts being in the ply.

That being said... With where I fly and how I land, I'm not concerned about the landing gear design of the V2. I'm more concerned about how it's going to fly. My hope is that it will be a little lighter, just as precise and with great tumbling authority.
Last edited by high flyer Rich; Jul 07, 2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Where
Jul 06, 2018, 10:51 PM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Thread OP
Quote:
Was the red 63mm cyclone spinner included with the kit or did you purchase separately?
Yes, it was included in the kit. "Baffles are included, along with landing gear cuffs and a red 63 mm cyclone spinner".
Jul 06, 2018, 11:15 PM
FWIW, Rich's pics of the Laser v2 landing gear mounting give me some confidence that it's stronger than my Slick v2. My only worry on the Slick is the thinness of the ply and G "blocks", which on my Slick v2 aren't so much blocks as sheets - to the point that the blind nuts pulled through the G and ply when I locked the wheels and wheelpants on a rubber sheet runway.

Looks to me that the Laser v2 has four blind nuts (vs the Slick's two blind nuts) in thicker ply, maybe 1/8" aircraft ply? (vs my Slick v2's blind nuts in thin G material sheet and supported by~ 3/32" low quality ply sheet). If the Laser v2 plywood is keyed into the surrounding formers, I think it would be very strong.

Enough so that the Laser v2 is now on my list, especially if one of my 60's meets its demise. Hopefully that isn't my Slick v2, as I love how it flies, and I've fixed the LG weakness with some additional ply under the blind nuts. I'd be heartbroken if it's my Edge EXP, but I'd get over it and add a Laser v2 to my shopping cart!

T.P.
Jul 07, 2018, 12:39 AM

Cool!

Quote:
Yes, it was included in the kit. "Baffles are included, along with landing gear cuffs and a red 63 mm cyclone spinner".
I am warming to a red Laser V2 with a red cyclone spinner more and more.

Even if the cyclone spinner does not reduce motor and electronics temperatures, the cyclone spinner just looks cool!

If the contrast between the top and bottom of the wings of the RWBB Laser V2 was greater, it would be a done deal.

Is it time to practice my covering skills on a printed scheme and go for the RWBB Laser V2?
Jul 07, 2018, 12:43 AM

Landing gear resolved?

Quote:
IMO, the better landing gear construction to survive a rough landing is the V1 design. The landing gear bolts go through the Landing gear block and through the ply on each side with the blind nuts being in the ply.

That being said... With were I fly and how I land, I'm not concerned about the landing gear design of the V2. I'm more concerned about how it's going to fly. My hope is that it will be a little lighter, just as precise and with great tumbling authority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Portal
FWIW, Rich's pics of the Laser v2 landing gear mounting give me some confidence that it's stronger than my Slick v2. My only worry on the Slick is the thinness of the ply and G "blocks", which on my Slick v2 aren't so much blocks as sheets - to the point that the blind nuts pulled through the G and ply when I locked the wheels and wheelpants on a rubber sheet runway.

Looks to me that the Laser v2 has four blind nuts (vs the Slick's two blind nuts) in thicker ply, maybe 1/8" aircraft ply? (vs my Slick v2's blind nuts in thin G material sheet and supported by~ 3/32" low quality ply sheet). If the Laser v2 plywood is keyed into the surrounding formers, I think it would be very strong.

Enough so that the Laser v2 is now on my list, especially if one of my 60's meets its demise. Hopefully that isn't my Slick v2, as I love how it flies, and I've fixed the LG weakness with some additional ply under the blind nuts. I'd be heartbroken if it's my Edge EXP, but I'd get over it and add a Laser v2 to my shopping cart!

T.P.
Rich and T.P.,

Thank you for your candid input regarding the landing gear on the 60” Laser V2.

All the best,
AC
Jul 07, 2018, 07:35 AM
Now I'm a "Low Flyer"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Portal

T.P.
Thanks, those are some interesting observations! I'm away from the house for a couple of days. When I get home Sunday night, I'm going to take a closer look at the landing gear on the Slick V2 and how it compares to the Laser V2.

Quick Reply