Jul 06, 2018, 01:09 AM
Discussion

Vector tuning for throttle curves and expo

Hi - what is the right right way to set-up throttle curves or expo when using the vector? Do you do this through the tx and then run the rx wizard for the vector to measure the limits or do you setup the tx with the tx defaults and then tune everything through the vector? My specific aim is to tune my throttle control as it seems to be very quick to reach a limit where there's no further power increase. I also want to increase my expo on the ailerons to smooth out the roll. Thanks, Neal
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2018, 08:07 AM
Hello,

It sounds like you need to calibrate your ESC(s) instead of creating a curve. After doing that, re-run the RX Wizard. Otherwise, in general as long as you have your control surfaces setup correctly and have your ESCs calibrated, you do not need any curves when using the Vector. if you feel you do need a curve, re-run the RX Wizard after setting the curves.

Regards, John
Jul 10, 2018, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the reply, I'll calibrate the ESC and try it.
Jul 20, 2018, 12:47 AM
I removed throttle curve from the tx back to its defaults and re-calibrated the ESC, then re-ran the rx wizard. I've also remove the expo and rate settings from the ailerons on the elevator.

The result on the ground is the throttle is more accurate, it starts up straight away and the power increase is more finite. The control surfaces have returned to their defaults so the movement is much larger for less movement on the sticks. This will need increasing out as the stick control will be too small to manage precision flying smoothly. It also proves that the vector does send the tx settings straight through when in the un-stablised mode.

So the summary at this stage is the throttle setting is resolved by re-calibrating the ESC but I still want to see an improvement in managing precision control through to the control surfaces from the vector. I want to be able to slow down and smooth out the pitch and roll and have larger stick range movements. This is traditionally done through the use of rates and the expo on the tx. How is this achieved through the vector? Is PID the equivalent of expo and what does stabiliser responsiveness affect? These are my next points to the group for any advice and in the meanwhile I'll research/experiment with these settings and see what I learn.

Thanks, Shaven
Jul 20, 2018, 08:09 AM
First, it is important to understand that what you are observing on the ground is not necessarily what you will see in the air. The Vector constantly manipulates the control surfaces in response to your inputs and the movement of the airframe, which it isn't doing on the ground with a stationary airframe. Our best advice is to fly the plane to see how it behaves first. Just be sure to have a mode set for stabilization off so you can disable stabilization if you see any odd behavior on your first flight.

Regards, John

Quick Reply