Sep 10, 2021, 01:00 PM
Lower!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder7217
Man I love this hobby and this build! Just getting into 3D modeling. This was my first little thing I designed.
I decided to model a rx battery holder. Let me know your thoughts! I thought this way I can easily take the battery in and out for charging. And the weight is nominal. It will be screwed into the side and have double Velcro to hold the battery secure.
Looks nice! Depending on your setup, you may need to make one to mount near the turtledeck area, though. On my 74" V2/Xpwr35 setup, I had rudder servo tail-mounted push/pull, 2 6S 3700 flight packs, and a 2200mah 2S pack for RX. To get balanced, I had the 3700mah flight backs against the wing tube, and the 2200mah rx pack over the pull/pull rudder servo tray hole. With this setup, it was fairly neutral, with just a slight pull to the ground when I rolled inverted at 3/4 throttle. If you want more nose heavy, no problem. If you want more tail heavy, gonna have to add tailweight or a custom rear-mount rx pack...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2021, 01:30 PM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
Looks nice! Depending on your setup, you may need to make one to mount near the turtledeck area, though. On my 74" V2/Xpwr35 setup, I had rudder servo tail-mounted push/pull, 2 6S 3700 flight packs, and a 2200mah 2S pack for RX. To get balanced, I had the 3700mah flight backs against the wing tube, and the 2200mah rx pack over the pull/pull rudder servo tray hole. With this setup, it was fairly neutral, with just a slight pull to the ground when I rolled inverted at 3/4 throttle. If you want more nose heavy, no problem. If you want more tail heavy, gonna have to add tailweight or a custom rear-mount rx pack...
I have the pull pull servo. If I didn’t I absolutely would have made a tray for fright there! I am
Flying 3300mah so it might just work.
Thanks for the information. Can you show me a picture of where you have it over the pull pull?
Sep 10, 2021, 04:54 PM
Lower!
This photo is from this thread. You mount the rudder servo in the other, now un-used elevator servo hole. The V1 of this plane had dual elevator servos, so you use one of those and a longer linkage rod...
Sep 10, 2021, 06:22 PM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy
This photo is from this thread. You mount the rudder servo in the other, now un-used elevator servo hole. The V1 of this plane had dual elevator servos, so you use one of those and a longer linkage rod...
I thought that this was o possible!
Darn I should have set it up like this. I guess I can change it over eventually
Sep 23, 2021, 10:00 PM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
How are you guys getting telemetry from the Phoenix to spektrum tx?
Sep 23, 2021, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder7217
How are you guys getting telemetry from the Phoenix to spektrum tx?
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/t...us-010-0148-00
Sep 24, 2021, 02:49 PM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
Perfect! Thanks!
Sep 24, 2021, 07:52 PM
Horizon Brand Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan
Ordered!
Last edited by spyder7217; Sep 24, 2021 at 07:59 PM.
Sep 27, 2021, 10:51 AM
What would lonelasso do?
I'm on Frsky Horus using the FLVSS lipo sensors so not specifically familiar with the Castle solution here. That said, telemetry is an absolute game changer for electric flight, I'm surprised that more people here don't seem to have embraced it. I do run a timer to keep a rough idea of my flight times but it has very little to do with when I land (all based on the telemetry from the batteries). Flight times can vary from 5 minutes to 10 minutes on the same plane depending on throttle usage.
Sep 27, 2021, 11:40 AM
No dear, I've always had that
+1. Jeti for me but knowing how much battery you've used in flight is priceless.
Sep 27, 2021, 11:54 AM
Telemetry is the only way to go with larger electrics. Jeti for me as well. Before I got the sensors, I hated landing with a lot more capacity left in the packs or worse, realizing that I drained my packs down too far. Now, I’m always landing with about 20% left on the pack.
Sep 27, 2021, 12:51 PM
What is the "trigger" pack voltage for landing... say for a 6S pack, that will put you at 20-25% capacity?
Sep 27, 2021, 01:28 PM
No dear, I've always had that
I don’t look at voltage, myself. I have the radio call out how many milliamp hours I’ve used every 20 seconds. Although I do have a voltage report on a switch for a reality check just to make sure the pack isn’t sagging or having a problem.
Sep 27, 2021, 01:36 PM
Big Bushy with a STING (errrr)
I am not much of a telemetry user, getting old brain syndrome

However with big power, and the corresponding voltage drop I would have thought live voltage wouldn't be as reliable as measuring the amp/hr used during a flight. I did use a amp/hrs used on my Mega Bushmaster but didn't find the telemetry set up all that reliable. The ammeter was accurate but found the telemetry signal dropping out quite a lot. This was on a Taranis with X8R receivers.
Sep 27, 2021, 03:39 PM
What would lonelasso do?
I do pay attention to voltage and it does take some review to determine what works best for you. An important consideration is how long the battery remains at a particular voltage since sags happen frequently depending on throttle. Roughly, I use about 3.6v per cell (and do monitor each cell), Iím paying attention when the voltage has remained at that target level for 2 seconds minimum. Now that Iím using mostly SMC batteries, they are able to maintain 3.6 and above a long time. I have alarms set but also have a momentary switch that announces pack voltage and lowest cell. Hope thatís useful to someone

Quick Reply