Dec 10, 2018, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsairJock
If I could, I would install a separate servo for the flaps, hence my question about 6th channel
the plane's mechanism work fine as is, and you are adding needless weight.

Like Clive said...it's really not worth it.

but hey...if you love projects and tinkering....lol. Who am I to stop you?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2018, 01:47 PM
Quote:
If I could, I would install a separate servo for the flaps, hence my question about 6th channel
In this case you can use one aileron port (ch2) with a Y cable and reverse the other aileron servo with the servo reverser cable.
Then you can use the other aileron port (ch6) for the flaps.
Dec 13, 2018, 12:30 PM
IT'S HERE! WOW, it IS NICE.
here are specs on mine
Measured Weights:
As shipped (complete minus Rx & Battery): 1.98 oz/ 56.2 gr
Rx (removed from gen 1 micro Corsair/ no AS3X): 0.15 oz/4.15 gr
E-Flite 250 mAh: 0.27 oz/ 7.7 gr
Venom 180 mAh: 0.20 oz/ 5.6 gr
Weight RTF 2.4oz/ 68 gr w E-Flite 250 mAh (0nly 3% more than with Venom 180 mAh)

I checked the Rx and everything looks good, except I did hit one speed bump:
when I first plugged in the motor, I didn't realize that there are 3 input posts. I evidently plugged into the wrong 2 and the motor immediately went full throttle. Realized my mistake, plugged it into the right 2 and everything good
Also had to reduce retract servo throw to about 80% each direction

I plan to fly it indoors this coming Saturday at a club event, pretty sure it will be the first one there EVER to have retracts.
Dec 13, 2018, 05:16 PM
Quote:
IT'S HERE! WOW, it IS NICE.
here are specs on mine
Measured Weights:
As shipped (complete minus Rx & Battery): 1.98 oz/ 56.2 gr
Rx (removed from gen 1 micro Corsair/ no AS3X): 0.15 oz/4.15 gr
E-Flite 250 mAh: 0.27 oz/ 7.7 gr
Venom 180 mAh: 0.20 oz/ 5.6 gr
Weight RTF 2.4oz/ 68 gr w E-Flite 250 mAh (0nly 3% more than with Venom 180 mAh)

I checked the Rx and everything looks good, except I did hit one speed bump:
when I first plugged in the motor, I didn't realize that there are 3 input posts. I evidently plugged into the wrong 2 and the motor immediately went full throttle. Realized my mistake, plugged it into the right 2 and everything good
Also had to reduce retract servo throw to about 80% each direction

I plan to fly it indoors this coming Saturday at a club event, pretty sure it will be the first one there EVER to have retracts.
Congrats!

Get more 250mah lipos!

A 250 will give you a 4 minute flight and no more if you want to land at 3.8.
Dec 18, 2018, 04:39 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
I don't remember how I stumbled on this airframe......but I do know all of us on this thread are in trouble. All of the same characters buying more planes - LOL

I ordered the RTF, then ordered the ARF, then ordered the brick for brushed motors:
http://www.activepowersports.com/spe...r-esc-as6410l/

The difference between the two mentioned bricks for the Brushed motors is:
AR6410L : Straight up RX/ESC servo board
AS6410L: AS3X RX/ESC servo board

TwistedGrin
One of my favorite planes of all time (Staggerwing)
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 18, 2018 at 05:01 PM.
Dec 19, 2018, 12:21 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
It really a very cool little airplane. By far the best micro airframe on the market. It's the only one that's highly detailed and doesn't look like a foamy because it's made from embossed sheets not a mold. They even embossed rivets in the foam. And of course, it's the only one with retracts.
Dec 19, 2018, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedGrin
......................I ordered the RTF, then ordered the ARF,......................
So far, I only have the ARF. I ordered it mainly because I like using a better transmitter (dual rates, expo, end point adjustments, etc), but I really struggled with the installation of the 'brick'/ hooking up the ruder and elevator control rods while holding on the the brick in that tiny, fragile cockpit area.
Having now flown it, I realize all controls are best set to 100% (except the retracts), and rudder and elevator are linear servos: expo not needed as much.
THAT said, I now wonder if I would have been better off with the RTF version? As the owner of both versions, can you give some insight?

BTW, my 1S 250 mAh provides me with enough flying time, I have 2 of them, dont need more
Dec 19, 2018, 08:35 AM
RTF has that awful cheapy tx with no expo or refined stick feel. i read one comment where one of the sticks broke off the RTF tx.

The effort to put in your own rx was well worth it.

I glued my brick in place and then connected the rods with small extensions secured with heat shrink and CA. The trickiest part was heating the shrink tubing. had to use a soldering iron for the extension....still melted some foam from the heat coming off it...but made lemonade off that....cut the melted part off and now have the windshield hinged...so I just have to lift up.
Dec 19, 2018, 11:45 AM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Excellent fellas - I have two motors to choose for my ARF 2s LiPo power train:
A. EFLUM180BL2 2500Kv motor
B. EFLUM180BLD 3000Kv motor

Will probably deploy the 3000Kv motor and mate it to an A6420BL 6CH UMX RX with AS3X SAFE BL ESC (Will not use the "SAFE" mode).

Next thing I am looking for is the prop size.....has anyone tried to use the stock prop on either the 2500Kv motor or the 3000Kv motor? If not what prop are you flying on. What are your flight times? (250 mAh LiPo).

I have several eFlight Beast props 5x2.75 - probably need at least the larger 5.75x2.5 on hand from the Micro Pitts.....have no idea of what the comparison size/pitch is to the stock prop......

Looks like I will be more into Clive66's camp and his set up.

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 19, 2018 at 01:59 PM.
Dec 19, 2018, 03:08 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
Excellent fellas - I have two motors to choose for my ARF 2s LiPo power train:
A. EFLUM180BL2 2500Kv motor
B. EFLUM180BLD 3000Kv motor

Will probably deploy the 3000Kv motor and mate it to an A6420BL 6CH UMX RX with AS3X SAFE BL ESC (Will not use the "SAFE" mode).

Next thing I am looking for is the prop size.....has anyone tried to use the stock prop on either the 2500Kv motor or the 3000Kv motor? If not what prop are you flying on. What are your flight times? (250 mAh LiPo).

I have several eFlight Beast props 5x2.75 - probably need at least the larger 5.75x2.5 on hand from the Micro Pitts.....have no idea of what the comparison size/pitch is to the stock prop......

Looks like I will be more into Clive66's camp and his set up.

TwistedGrin
I have the 2500kv in mine, and the stock UMX Cub SS prop. You won't be using the stock Rage prop unless you drill it out. The center hole is tiny. (probably 2mm) I carefully glued the stock spinner to the UMX prop and it seems balanced enough. I fly on a 300mah 2S, and could easily get 7 minutes at high throttle. The little Staggerwing will slow down nicely even without flaps, but I tend to fly it with 60%+ throttle most of the time. Maneuvering speed. I have a 3000kv motor waiting in the wings if I decide I want to get a little more power out of it. After all, the Staggerwing was considered a speed machine in its day.

Rage Staggerwing
Dec 19, 2018, 03:23 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
10:4 Thanks CC,

I'll stay with the 5.75x2.5 UMX Pitts prop and try my luck with the stock spinner too.

Good to hear you are flying via larger 300mAh LiPo for 7minutes....this was I was hoping for.

I have a stash of BabbleBat 2s 330mAh LiPo (18ounce) ready to try. ***(Correction 18grams) !!

TwistedGrin
Last edited by TwistedGrin; Dec 19, 2018 at 04:22 PM.
Dec 19, 2018, 03:34 PM
Acft Attn Deficit Disorder
Quote:
I have a stash of BabbleBat 2s 330mAh LiPo (18ounce)
TwistedGrin
That is one beefy 2S pack!!!
Dec 19, 2018, 04:21 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy
That is one beefy 2S pack!!!
LOL - Updating my post from Ounces to Grams

TG
Dec 19, 2018, 04:38 PM
Have 11 flights on mine now & plan to add 3 more tomorrow morning.
I use mostly E-flite batts in my UMX planes & use 2S 280mah E-flites in this one.
Haven't had any problems with E-flite batts & have no complaints about the performance either.
I usually fly with a fair amount of throttle, so I have my timer set to 4 minutes on this plane, which is fine by me, since I don't care for long flights anyway.
My timer is activated by throttle.
Battery usually shows around 3.8 volts per cell after a flight, which is great, because I don't need to storage charge when I get home
Did this plane mostly out of curiosity & something to do, so I won't be flying it on a regular basis.
Makes a good hanger queen for my office to.
Dec 19, 2018, 05:00 PM
Yes it was Abby Normal
Clive66 - Thanks for all of your post, photos and data.

I enjoy displaying a working flyable model too... the availability to grab and go for a flight means the display has a certain level of resting "Potential".

TwistedGrin

Quick Reply