This thread is privately moderated by mwhidden, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 05, 2018, 11:12 AM
MA, USA
Thread OP
Build Log

Mark's Models Wanderer (1976 Balsa Glider Kit) - Part 5

I applied the epoxy-embedded fiberglass reinforcement to the center wing joint and the wing tip joints, and also small patches on the trailing edges to prevent the rubber bands from damaging the edge. I think it turned out functionally, but not pretty, and I'm sure it won't look so hot through the Monokote.

After the photos below, I did apply a 2nd "skim coat" of epoxy to the middle to smooth out the checkerboard texture of the fiberglass that was still showing through.

Horizontal stabilizer and elevator construction is underway. I'm a bit stumped about the best way to taper the elevator surface. It should run from full thickness at the leading edge to about 1/32" at the trailing edge. I'm not sure if I'll hand-sand it to the right taper, or if I'll build some sort of jig to keep a sanding block at the right angle. I read that some put a 1/32" wire against the trailing edge to stop the sanding block from taking too much off that end.

Any ideas are welcome.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply