Jul 04, 2018, 05:04 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Discussion

Rolling CAP Converting my Comet Clipper to electric and other projects.

This model was bought around 6-7 years ago for $10 at a swap meet in Wayne, NJ. Iím finally getting around to putting it in the air again, but itíll be electric, cause thatís what I fly now.

The three old Airtronics servos were removed along with the switch harness. (anybody want them?).

There wasnít any engine so that made it easier to clean up the firewall/cowl area.

Now to install the electric motor. As the one picture shows, there is almost 3Ē from the back of the motor to the firewall, way too long for standoffís. A new false firewall seems the answer.

Cutting up an old shoe box gives a nice pattern for the new firewall, except the cowlís right side is lower than the left, propably for the (removed) engine and controls. Not sure what path to take at the moment, either trim the new firewall top down to meet the right side or build up the cowl wall, but then the matter of matching the old red covering.

But this is where Iím at now. The new firewall will be 3/16Ē plywood with some sort of reinforcements where it meets the side walls. Everything will be epoxied together to help strengthen the cowl.

I really have to learn how to caption pictures so they can tell the story better.

Gotta go, picking up the grandkids and heading to the fireworks.

Be back in a day or two.
Last edited by aeronca52; Jul 23, 2018 at 08:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2018, 09:09 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Another day, another thought.
When the Clipper had a glow engine, the cowl was merely cosmetic, and held on with two tiny screws. Since Iím mounting a firewall into the cowl itíll need more than those screws to hold the motorís power to the fuselage.

Sooo, it can be either mechanically fastened or epoxy fastened. Since the cowl top is open from front to back it wonít have access problems so it can be permanately affixed. Epoxy it will be, but after the firewall is installed.

Whew, major decision over.
Jul 06, 2018, 10:07 AM
B for Bruce
Perhaps take some steps to be sure the wood has no oil soaking in if the model was actually flown with gas power. K2R if you can find it works like a treat once the dope or other finish on the wood is removed. Other than that all your ideas make perfect sense to me.
Jul 06, 2018, 11:31 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Good thought there Bruce.
Although the wood has no scent of fuel the belt and suspenders approach using epoxy AND screws sounds prudent.
Jul 07, 2018, 11:08 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Putting the Purple Plan into effect today, I found a piece of plywood and traced and cut the firewall out. A bit of sanding and back to the never ending yard work.
Jul 11, 2018, 09:14 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Hi Skysters,
A bit of Purple progress tonight!

The ĎXí mount was removed from the back of the motor and positioned over the firewall so the 4 mounting holes could be drilled and also the large center hole for the prop shaft which sticks out the motor backside.

After that the firewall was friction fit in the cowl and a bit of down and right thrust nudged into its position. When all looked right a thin coat of epoxy was put along the front and back of the F/W where it touches the cowl.

Dug through the wood box and found a spruce stick of the right size so two pieces were cut which will be epoxied to the front firewall/cowl joints. Finally, when thatís done two screws per side will be put through the cowl sides into the spruce reinforcements for a epoxy/mechanical fastening. That should hold that assembly nicely.

After that the cowl will be somehow strongly attached to the fuselage. But thatís for another night.
Jul 12, 2018, 08:21 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Had 15 minutes this morning before leaving for work so one spruce reinforcement was glued in, and the other tonight when I came home.

If I can remember tomorrow I need to stop at the hobby shop and purchase servo mounting screws and a set of nuts/bolts for the motor itself. If I remember.
Jul 13, 2018, 08:33 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Guess what! I remembered! And I didnít even have to text myself a reminder.
Jul 13, 2018, 08:46 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Guess what! I remembered! And I didnít even have to text myself a reminder.
Jul 13, 2018, 10:15 PM
B for Bruce
Fine, you remembered the hardware. But from your reply posted at 6:46 it would appear that you forgot that you posted the same thing 13 minutes earlier.

Did you forget to send yourself a reminder that you already posted about your lack of reminder?

(we really need a smack talk "evilgrin" smilie)
Jul 14, 2018, 02:57 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Oh crap. I wondered what happened.
Jul 14, 2018, 03:13 AM
B for Bruce
That's OK. I lost Wednesday this week. I was going along blissfully thinking it was Wednesday when it was really Thursday. I missed a club meeting as a result because I didn't figure out my mistake until late in the evening. That's retirement for ya!

So I see your 13 minutes and raise you 24 hours....
Jul 14, 2018, 06:21 AM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
At least I made a minor infraction. Back in the 80’s when we got our first computer at the airport where I worked to go online you had several steps. The F1 through F5 Keys were pressed in sequence, then a few more keystrokes after that. If you forgot and got out of sequence the screen would flash bright like lightening and the words ‘FATAL ERROR’ jumped out at you. No wonder I’m timid yet around the keyboard.
Jul 14, 2018, 09:59 AM
I have always used blind nuts (T-nuts) mounted to back of ply firewall with epoxy. They need to be a close fit in the holes with barbs driven into the wood and epoxy over the edges but not into the threaded holes or on mounting bolts. You can drive barbs into wood by installing bolts and tightening, apply epoxy , let cure, remove bolts, finally install motor and bolts with washers to adjust down and right thrust as needed.

Quick Reply