Jul 04, 2018, 10:37 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Thread OP
Build Log

Q2 1/18 mini tugboat

So there was a thread asking what is so special about Facebook. Well not for everyone, it can be a great place to find photos, other model sites/clubs, and even the new model. That is where this little guy I am building came from, an ad in the one of the r/c model boat sites. This was also a first in that I ordered from China directly and trusted the site as it did link eBay. Amazing that it took just a couple weeks to get here. This little boat is only 8 inches long, but is another log tug. So it fits in with my other bigger projects. Upon receiving it the mail I rushed to the Batcave ASAP for inspection. Well packed and organized in the box. There are laser cut plywood parts, cnc plastic pieces, printed parts, motor and other hardware, and a sheet that tells how to get the building instructions. Overall, very impressed as only thing you need to supply is radio and battery. Now I have built a few models and decided I don't need the instruction--I can figure this out. First step, pull all the wood pieces out and sand the edges before gluing. This allows for a better connection with the glue and wood. One of the nice features---the building board to align the frames. You need to place the stringers ( long parts of frame) together with the ribs before placing on the build board since they lock together. Once they were assembled and attached to the framework, I was able to place the bottom hull sheet on. To help with alignment, I used the rudder tube and inserted it through the stringer and bottom plating. CA it and then let it sit as my attention focused on the little house. This is machined plastic and has some nice grove lines that help line up a couple pieces as they sit in the grove really nicely. I prefer to use the liquid stuff as it bonds quicker and can also be run down the seam to help "weld" the plastic together. Same process is used on the ladder. Next was to test fit the stern tube ( printed part) for fit and it fit pretty well. A little sanding on the wood hull where it attached was need to make it fit just right. Was them glued in place with medium CA.There are 2 bushings that need to be installed --1 at each end to that the prop shaft assembly spins smoothly ( and it does). Shaft assembled with pro/lock nut all secured. I did grind a small flat slot for the Allen nut on the forward log to sit in to help prevent it from slipping . Now I did it in this order to make it easier for my fingers to get in there and work as necessary. Up next hull sheeting. I started in the front by test fitting each piece. Once happy with the fit began to glue each piece on a section at a time. I did score the ares wher the ply makes some bends to help take away some of the tension in the wood. Ran a quick fillet of fast CA along the edges to ensure all stays attached once the other glue had set. A little sanding and then it was time for a test fit. All good so far. Have to admit, at this point it is looking a little funny if not top heavey. But there is still more work to go......
to remove ads between posts
Jul 04, 2018, 12:08 PM
Looks like an interesting build -
Jul 04, 2018, 08:11 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Keith, I am at about the same point on mine. Started a month ago and was frustrated by the lack of plans/instructions so I set it aside. For instance the cabin back wall has scorings for ? Does that go inside or out? What is the voltage for the motor? On and on.
Could be a nice little kit but lack of plans makes it a bust in my opinion. I'll be watching your build.

Bill
Jul 04, 2018, 09:19 PM
Here's that "one picture", is it worth a "thousand words"???
Jul 05, 2018, 02:39 AM
Me and a guy with a mustache
This is really cute. Since a link to the kit was not included, I did a little research and came up with these:

1) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Q1-Mini-Tug...QAAOSw46ha0FOA
(A lot of good pictures in the ad)

2) https://www.ebay.com/itm/Q2-Mini-Tug...gAAOSwEg1a0Fay
(A slightly different style tug)

It seems these are sold by various vendors at a variety of prices. For those who are curious, search eBay for "1/18 mini tugboat".

I ordered one like the boat in this post for myself and may order the second style later.

A dock for these is also available that's pretty cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MiNI-Wharf-...-/253568514777
Jul 05, 2018, 11:45 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor
Keith, I am at about the same point on mine. Started a month ago and was frustrated by the lack of plans/instructions so I set it aside. For instance the cabin back wall has scorings for ? Does that go inside or out? What is the voltage for the motor? On and on.
Could be a nice little kit but lack of plans makes it a bust in my opinion. I'll be watching your build.

Bill
Bill, I had the same thoughts on that back wall then I looked closer. The scoring should be to the inside as that is used to help get the "Bend" for the top half of the house since there is an angle there. Also a couple of hole markings that lead to.... Now for the building instructions issue there was a sheet inside that the manufacture assumes every one can scan to down load. That is a negative. On the positive, there is a email address to request the same. Instruction on paper also rates the motor from 6-12 volt. I will use the recommended battery at about 6 volt

babblefish thanks for adding the links as I often forget about those things. I am thinking the same as might have to get a second just for S-n-G. Have my own mini log show in a tub!
Jul 05, 2018, 12:04 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Thread OP
So now with the sides on, I decided to add the micro servo for the rudder while there is plenty of room to do so. This is where I had to do some modification to the servo box provided by removing the back wall. Now one could build the servo box around the servo then place in the spot provided, but I chose to do it my way instead. I did replace it with some scrap basswood stock so that there was a place to use a screw to hold it in place. Used the included hardware for the throw arm and connector. I did get the tiller arm soldered to the rudder shaft and inserted as well. Made the connections and all is in working order. Time to glue the deck down. I used liberal amounts of medium CA on all the contact surfaces to ensure adequate adhesion. Scoring the underside of the deck piece( plastic) was also done to give the glue something to "bite" onto. Set on and apply some pressure and boom--deck is in. Now I did have a couple of gaps. So to fill them, I used rubberized CA. The reason for this, fills in gaps and I can se it is filled once sanded. I also chose to run some thin CA along the top edge where the wood meets the plastic to help ensure there are no open seems. sanded all even. Applied sealing epoxy to the outer hull as a protective barrier with strength. Now some may choose to just use a few coats of paint and that will work. But I am a little rougher when playing and I want the protection! Hard shell it is. While the epoxy is setting, attention was placed back on the cabin. Joined the main cabin with the forward trunk and set aside to cure. Used tape to help hold in place while I ran a bead of liquid cement along the inside edges to once again--weld the plastic pieces together. End of work for the day as it was time for my July 4th adventures.
Jul 05, 2018, 02:30 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Keith, my kit must have been one of the earliest .I didn't get a sheet inside with scannable code nor a pic on the box with the motor voltage. (box was badly crushed on arrival about a month after ordering) Also no brass tiller horn for the rudder. I received an email sometime after the kit with pdf file attachment with very minor photo sequence of building the boat but very limited views and some steps not covered at all.
I am avidly watching your thread!

Bill
Jul 05, 2018, 04:42 PM
Looks pretty cool Keith. Did they have a battery recommendation? I'm looking to replace the batteries in my little 6v tug which is about the same size hull.

Thanks Keith
Jul 05, 2018, 08:30 PM
The diorama was built by my friend. The ship is a copy of his work.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-RC-boat/page2
http://jpn2943.at.webry.info/

Jul 06, 2018, 07:50 AM
Neat!
Jul 06, 2018, 12:48 PM
Hey all....I decided & got both the Q-1 & Q-2 tugs, as stated it came in about three weeks +/-, no instructions, sent message thru E-bay about this & a gal by the name of Gloria sent me both of the instructions in a down-loadable file, 23 pages w/ pictures (one in translated English the other in Chinese) pictures worth a thousand words....Decided to build the Q-2, hardest part was the cabin structure....the rest was easy....The real tough part is fitting everything in...Here's what I fitted in...Futaba 3 channel R203GF receiver...Futaba MC330CR ESC...Hitec HS-55 mini servo...Traxxas 7.2v 1200mAh NMH battery, this battery has the Tamia connecter & is able to fit thru the opening in the deck & sit on top of the motor...The box for the Q-1 had this info: Recommended battery: 2S 800mAh 10C battery....Motor limit voltage: 8.4v...the other kit had nothing...it's all together & waiting for the paint to dry....before skinning the hull I sink tested it by wrapping the hull in Saran-wrap....threw it in a fry-pan, draws 1 inch....cool little kit....Cplfuzz
Jul 06, 2018, 01:28 PM
Sorry, needed to drop off....Lets see...good/bad….Almost all good, get the PDF file to see how Tab A fits into Slot B, the pictures really help....Gloria apologized that one set of instructions had been translated but not the other, no big deal....Test fit everything, use tape...I soaked the hull skin in hot water & clothes-pinned it around a coffee cup, fits perfectly with out a gap...I added a low combing around the edge of the deck fitting it into the grove that is there....I heated the side rub rail in hot water before bending it around a coffee cup & before attaching to hull, fits perfectly & I added 3 lower rub rails on the bow..She weighs in at 15 oz., draws 1 inch of water...Bad, or could be better: no rudder shaft...no stuffing box tube for rudder ( fitted wood dowel into the hole in hull & drilled it to fit brass tubing)..Would have been nice to have steering arm....used small shaft collar drilled to fit rudder shaft & made my own steering arm....I used scrap wood to triple up on either side of the bow part of the keel, more area to glue to..Added a piece of scrap wood under the curved stern piece to fill the gap....The English instruction are almost no help, study the pictures !!!! There are no suggestions as to electronics to use....battery was biggest concern...!! Hope this helps...cplfuzz
Jul 06, 2018, 04:32 PM
Quick update, peeled the tape off from painting the bottom of hull....wait a day & stuff it together...Cplfuzz
Jul 06, 2018, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCAT
The diorama was built by my friend. The ship is a copy of his work.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-RC-boat/page2
http://jpn2943.at.webry.info/

Exactly, these cheap Chinese boat are a copy of M. Morizou work. They even stole his photos to advertise this kit on Ebay. That's really sad.

It's looks like no one cares about that though.

Quick Reply