Aug 26, 2019, 06:01 PM
They all choose what they fly, including Arijan. Nan does not offer their team pilots anything different than any other manufacture. The pros have to make the same decision that everyone else makes- “what works best for me”
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2019, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Breaux
They all choose what they fly, including Arijan. Nan does not offer their team pilots anything different than any other manufacture. The pros have to make the same decision that everyone else makes- “what works best for me”
I agree. I also agree that you need to fly what works best for you.

But more importantly : who sticks to ONE model over time, perfect their craft, work on settings, CG in different conditions? I believe very few people.

Many just jump ship on the latest "innovation" and new "design" without putting the effort in order to reach the holy grail, until they realize they are back to square one.

When you master the entire envelope of your model and say "the model has limited my ability to improve for THIS reason", then move on. Very few can say this, myself included.

Fly, fly, fly, fly, fly, fly, fly.... that's the key
Aug 26, 2019, 07:37 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old1104
Were any Big Flap planes? Did any have the other airfoil ... NAN X-II F3J, which I assune is thinner than NAN F3J.

Art
According to the list of planes registered by the competitors at the WC, the planes flown by Arijan, Sebastien, and Primož were all 4.0m Explorer BFs (except two Explorer GF, and 3.5m listed by Primož - I don't know what 'GF' means).

If they're Explorers, I assume they would have the same Explorer airfoil (which is the same as the original ancient Xplorer introduced in 2007). If you have insomnia some night, you can read all about the E/Xplorer airfoils at this link (and others).

--
Greg
Aug 26, 2019, 07:40 PM
Jody Miller
These new 5J models have been the biggest adjustment for me having flown Xplorers for the past 10 years. Each new model I get is better than the last but these things are so light.
Building a relationship with a model is really key I think. Even though the electric models are so light, they still feel like a good ole Xplorer.

Jody
Aug 27, 2019, 04:20 AM
G = giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
I don't know what 'GF' means).
Greg
Aug 31, 2019, 03:34 PM
Hello everyone, Im new to the BF version, but excited for the new build. The plane is gorgeous, and such high quality. Big thanks to everyone at SUSA for the great service, and all the help. Definitely saving the packaging it came in for something. It is robust, just how they package all of their planes.

Because of new two piece fuse I decided to make a travel case for the plane. This is the first revision, and so far seems to be close to what Im looking for. All 6061 T6 aluminum. Brake formed and riveted together with all aluminum rivets. Aluminum foldable handle as well. Just have to finish the foam inserts inside of the case and Ill be done.
Aug 31, 2019, 09:42 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
That case is awesome! Are you selling those?!
Aug 31, 2019, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
That case is awesome! Are you selling those?!

Probably not.
Last edited by Babaralonius; Sep 02, 2019 at 07:04 AM.
Sep 02, 2019, 09:32 PM
Aussie F5J Team
Hi,
How much flap are people using for brakes? I see the instructions say max and I saw some videos showing about 45 degrees.

What does it actually need to stop properly?
Sep 02, 2019, 09:44 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineman
Hi,
How much flap are people using for brakes? I see the instructions say max and I saw some videos showing about 45 degrees.

The flaps on this model are effective (understatement). I'd say if you get more than 70 degrees you're fine. The trick is determining how much reflex you want as that will dictate how much down you'll be able to get. I suggest attempting to get about 3/4 of the physical upward movement on the flaps if you want to use aileron to flap coupling. That should give you all the movement you'll need.

As an fyi, on my current setup I tried to extract as much as I could on the downward throw. I also tried to achieve that 3/4 upward throw. This out me in a position of using a too large servo arm. While not the largest issue the problem I put in my setup is that the granularity of the movement is coarse and not fine. When I replace my frames and servos to the 6130s I'll be resituating the frame so that I can get a smaller servo arm to achieve a finer movement on the flap surface. I'll end up giving up the downward throw from something around 80 degrees. This doesn't bother me at all because the weight coupled with the big flap surfaces cause this model to slow up quickly. In fact, if you're used to a standard Xplorer or a model of similar type you'll be quickly taken aback by how judicious you'll need to be with applying these brakes!
Sep 03, 2019, 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machineman
Hi,

Explorer is a plane, not a car You cannot "stop" a plane without serious consequences. But as mikejr83 writes, the breaks are very effective giving you an excellent possibility to control the dynamics of landing approach.

When landing Explorer it is important to use full flaps only momentarily. Just flip them, do not use for many seconds. If you break long much too much early, you loose energy from your plane and land short. Another danger is that that wind flips the plane to side as control gets weaker.

In any plane, flaps reduce plane kinetic energy the better the faster you fly. Just practice to get feel of this. So no reason to be afraid of fast(ish) approach at 10-15 seconds before touch down. Just break down and continue managing you flight small flap settings between neutral to 1/2 flaps (this is important!). Then you can sort of float and make a sort of gentle dork from 1/2-1m altitude when on the spot. If there is wind and the air is good, you can even float above the spot for a second or two. Just do not overdo this as accuracy is more important in F5J landing than 1-2 seconds of time.

For those wondering how much punishment Explorer can take, my advice is to handle it nice. Explorer (even quite light) is not very fragile, but when you make competition style landing, margins are small. If you F3J dork Explorer, chances are that wing leading edge in center panel is damaged. In extreme cases also nose cone can break. Smooth "airplane style" landings often cause telemark which breaks tail boom or causes wing tip to hit you leg. Safest way to land is a gentle nose first dork from very low altitude and speed.

BTW Powerful flap servos are important if BF. To have good control in landing approach, you must have enough servo power to "pump" flaps in-out also in high speed. When doin this, stuctural stress is high. Pay attention to the hinge line close to servo and that wiper does not hit wing upper skin. I am also super careful with retracting flaps before landing. I even land (if possible) at neutral trailing edge, no thermal 2 camber.
Sep 08, 2019, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
Explorer BF wins our National competition !
Happy father with my sons to podium places..
Sep 09, 2019, 06:42 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Congratulations, Pantelis! That's a huge achievement, and maybe a first in RC soaring to have a family take all three podium places at a national event.

--
Greg
Sep 11, 2019, 08:22 AM
Thread OP
Thank you Greg
It was suprice also for us... Ok, we know that Christos, ( my10 years old son) is the better family pilot, Nikos compete only for fun without training but also without stress. This fact show who easy is to flying with Explorer BF
We enjoy this competition cause we had good company and nothing to loose..
Sep 14, 2019, 01:43 AM
Nan models website gives flap setting for butterfly down to max, which I take as 90 degrees. I have gleaned elsewhere that some are restricting max down flap setting to 60 or 80 degrees. I'm using MKS 6130's and guess that so long as full flap is not extended anywhere near Vne, they should be able to cope with the 90 degrees barn door setting. Probably not real well though when neglecting to retract the flaps before landing. Any thoughts anyone?

Quick Reply