Jul 28, 2019, 08:16 PM

Explorer BF Vtail Maiden

Maidened this beauty this evening.

All settings per recommendations here on the forum: it's pretty amazing! Climbs in lightest breeze, tracks effortlessly and requires very, very little input.

Very surprised at how well it flies from the bench without any prior tuning.

CG is at 107mm, AUW 44oz. YGE 35 Esc, motor is a Tenshock 1515. I ordered a lighter viper motor (30gr difference), but everything balances so well as is, I won't change anything.

It's as close to perfect as it gets F5J wise. Can't wait to order another one for windier conditions!

Can't recommend it enough!

Cheers!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 29, 2019, 02:16 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Sweet v-tail! You need to get back up to the northern side of FL and fly with us. I'd really like to get a chance to see how yours flies compared to my cross tail.
Jul 29, 2019, 02:17 PM
Let me know when are where Mike, let's plan it!

If you try it, you're going to have to buy one, trust me

Can't wait for the next windy Vtail to show up
Jul 29, 2019, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejr83
Sweet v-tail! You need to get back up to the northern side of FL and fly with us. I'd really like to get a chance to see how yours flies compared to my cross tail.
Send me a pm, can't find the link on your profile. Are you going to the NATS?
Aug 16, 2019, 12:50 PM
Bro
Bro

F5J Worlds

Howdy,

Well I guess Explorer did it again! I hear some say stuff like it's an old design, ect, ect... Armchair aero guys... Well I guess 1st, 2nd and 5th is not bad !!

Congrats to all who made the fly off in what looked like one of the toughest comps I have seen in my time. And especially for the USA team... 3rd place is HUGE...
And our youngest member of the Sr team... Jonathan, well done!!
And Stoil who won the Pre comp... BRAVO to all !!

The 1st F5J WC is in the books!

Best,
Bro
Latest blog entry: 2015
Aug 21, 2019, 06:49 AM

Hi Guys could someone tell me the length of the center panel on a 4 m explorer please?
Sorry to ask but I canít find a 3 view!
Thanks.
Ross
Aug 21, 2019, 07:25 AM
1630 mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grindf5j
Hi Guys could someone tell me the length of the center panel on a 4 m explorer please?
Sorry to ask but I canít find a 3 view!
Thanks.
Ross
Aug 21, 2019, 02:57 PM

Thankyou
Aug 22, 2019, 02:34 PM
dare to thermal
Is Arijan flying a larger rudder?
Aug 22, 2019, 06:58 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd Brunner
Is Arijan flying a larger rudder?
No, Arijan flying with normal rudder
Aug 23, 2019, 01:40 AM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapan
No, Arijan flying with normal rudder
I've seen a few videos from this year showing both Arijan and Primoě flying V-tail Explorer BF. Were they flying + tail models in Trnava ?

--
Greg
Aug 23, 2019, 01:54 AM
Both tails. Arijan flew also this
Aaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdouglas
I've seen a few videos from this year showing both Arijan and Primož flying V-tail Explorer BF. Were they flying + tail models in Trnava ?

--
Greg
Aug 23, 2019, 05:44 AM
As far as I know Primoz has been flying only v for two years now. Also in Trnava. Primoz used to fly quite often also the older v-tail fuse, mostly in windy conditions.

By mistake my latest BF came with latest slim x-tail fuse. It flies ok, as any x-tail does. But current generation Explorer v-tail are way better to fly. Stability is about the same, but v turns quicker and is less critical on how you turn, using more rudder or elevator. Just easy and nice The tighter you want to turn, the more obvious the benefits of v-tail are.

Later I bought a v-tail fuse for the new plane... X-tail fuse is now my spare. Currently I see no reason to buy x-tail fuse for Explorer. That anhedral elevator Arijan was flying in Trnava might be a hint of what is coming out in future.
Aug 23, 2019, 08:01 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
It needs to have a huge performance upside, seeing how it complicates travel / packing.

That part would be extremely fragile to pack flat, unless it's two piece which I highly doubt.
Aug 23, 2019, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaro
Both tails. Arijan flew also this
Aaro
... whatís the model name ... Explorer F4?

Quick Reply