Jul 12, 2018, 07:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt41time
Did u run big blades on the last quad? Will the tail blade holders hold up to that amount of force? I'm assuming those are 325 or something close.....
It is 280 mm blades, the blade holders are 500 size.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2018, 07:53 PM
Just call me Justin.
Cool.

I wanted to do 600 tail and a 450 dfc head with 600 slider. I think, if I can remember that long ago, the 600 nitro tail had the same 5mm tail shafts as a 450 main shaft.

Plz pull this off. I so want to build a monster after I know this one will work. Or even a tiny one. Use 250 gear... one big motor. But hey, I just love dif stuff. I'm sick of the normal things we got out there.thank you for hitting this hard...
Jul 13, 2018, 03:28 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Man, you weren't kidding around about wanting a quad with the maneuverability of a conventional heli.

This is very cool. What do you do for a beast like this in terms of flight control? Flat throttle, variable pitch control only? Or is there an element of motor control in addition to the VP system (e.g. for yaw authority)?
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jul 13, 2018, 05:20 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece
Man, you weren't kidding around about wanting a quad with the maneuverability of a conventional heli.

This is very cool. What do you do for a beast like this in terms of flight control? Flat throttle, variable pitch control only? Or is there an element of motor control in addition to the VP system (e.g. for yaw authority)?
For the first there will be flat throttle, next I will have to find either a proper pitch curve or use the govervor mode. Not sure if governor mode works with four single motors since the governors may influence each other.

A throttle control would be an option for the tail rotors.
Jul 13, 2018, 05:16 PM
Thread OP
I decided to go with stronger servos and proper servo mounts.
Jul 13, 2018, 07:18 PM
Just call me Justin.
Hurry up and get thing in the air. Jeez.....

Hehhehehehe

Have you spun up the mains yet?
Jul 13, 2018, 07:21 PM
Just call me Justin.
I was thinking about the whole pid problem with varying in rotor speed. Isn't there a couple "profiles" that you can switch between on the fly in betaflight? If so, can u have a couple dif profiles on a three way switch that also does a dif throttle curve for each. Kinda like a idle up on crack.
Jul 13, 2018, 07:23 PM
Just call me Justin.
Or even a lua script in your taranis? A linear pid curve per throttle curve...
Jul 14, 2018, 04:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
... Have you spun up the mains yet?
Quote:
I was thinking about the whole pid problem with varying in rotor speed. Isn't there a couple "profiles" that you can switch between on the fly in betaflight? If so, can u have a couple dif profiles on a three way switch that also does a dif throttle curve for each. Kinda like a idle up on crack.
Quote:
Or even a lua script in your taranis? A linear pid curve per throttle curve...
I spun up the mains after gluing in the bearings but this was without rotors so things remain exiting!

The PID are not problematic. There will be three sets of PIDs, one each for low, mid and high head speed.
I also made a custom version of betaflight with a few extra lines of code that vary the PID depending on the head speed, but this is experimental.

I do not own a taranis, just a Spektrum DX7s, an old Futaba FX18 and a DEVO 10 with DEVIATION TX on it.
Last edited by Woga65; Jul 14, 2018 at 05:31 PM.
Jul 14, 2018, 01:21 PM
Thread OP
Frame and mechanics finished, now it is time to add the electronics.
Last edited by Woga65; Jul 14, 2018 at 07:03 PM.
Jul 14, 2018, 01:28 PM
Just call me Justin.
Looks massive.
Are those plastic blade holders on the rears?
Jul 14, 2018, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Looks massive.
Are those plastic blade holders on the rears?
Yes they are. The plastic rears provide some basic dampening.
Last edited by Woga65; Jul 14, 2018 at 03:00 PM.
Jul 15, 2018, 01:46 AM
Nice ship Woga 65....

it's seem that your accelerometer (gyro) will be not placed in the cross of your four prop axis..??
Jul 15, 2018, 05:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by géry 46
Nice ship Woga 65....

it's seem that your accelerometer (gyro) will be not placed in the cross of your four prop axis..??
Thank you!

The gyro measures angular speeds so it does not matter where it is mounted as long as it points to the correct axis.
The accelerometer measures linear acceleration so in theory it does matter, but since it is just used to estimate the direction of gravity it does not matter too.
Last edited by Woga65; Jul 17, 2018 at 07:09 PM.
Jul 15, 2018, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry, I'm using a translator
And you thought about one engine, something like here?

Quick Reply