Horizon Hobby E-flite Cherokee 1.3m

E-flite's Cherokee 1.3m is a new general aviation scale model due to arrive late next month. It's a classic airframe, but it has modern RC technology with features like NAV lights, functional flaps and scale details like panel lines, rivets and corrugated control surfaces.

Splash

Scale General Aviation Model

E-flite's Cherokee 1.3m is a new general aviation scale model due to arrive late next month. It's a classic airframe, but it has modern RC technology with features like NAV lights, functional flaps and scale details like panel lines, rivets and corrugated control surfaces. The elevator is a full flying stabilizer and the model has a shock absorbing steerable nose gear.

It will have a nice size and presence in the air with its 51.5" wingspan and you can keep flying past sunset with the LED NAV lights on board. One thing I like seeing on these new releases is power system options. The Cherokee works with both 3S and 4S 2200-3200maH size packs so you likely already have a battery that works. Couple that with AS3X and SAFE tech inside and you have an easy to fly scale airplane that anyone can enjoy. The Cherokee is available for pre-order for $229 BNF or $199 PNF.

Check out the Horizon Hobby E-flite Cherokee 1.3m Here

Features

• A scale replica of a modern general-aviation classic
  • Incredibly smooth flight performance making it the perfect choice for a first low-wing or scale model
  • High-power 3S and 4S compatible brushless motor and 50-amp ESC
  • Spektrum™ 6-channel receiver with industry-leading DSMX® technology
  • Unmatched stability and precision of AS3X® technology for smoother flight performance
  • Easy to fly with optional-use SAFE® Select flight envelope protection
  • Abundant scale detail including panel lines, rivets, corrugated control surfaces, pilot figure and more
  • Functional shock-absorbing nose strut and large wheels for operation from a variety of surfaces
  • Factory-installed LED navigation lights, strobes, beacon and landing lights for added realism
  • Operational flaps for shorter take offs and landings plus improved slow-flight performance
  • Two-piece plug-in wing panels featuring a convenient hands-free servo connection system for the servos and lights
  • Unique and scale full-flying horizontal stabilator
  • Extremely large top hatch for easy access to the battery mounting area and electronics
  • Lightweight and durable carbon-fiber reinforced EPO construction
  • No glue required for assembly–can be ready to fly in less time than it takes to charge a battery

E-flite Cherokee 1.3m (4 min 14 sec)

Jul 03, 2018, 09:47 AM
DFS#000178
If I can figure out how to do it I'll do an unboxing video tonight. If not I'll at least have a bunch of unboxing photos.
Jul 03, 2018, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
If I can figure out how to do it I'll do an unboxing video tonight. If not I'll at least have a bunch of unboxing photos.
Looking forward to either. I always like the unboxing videos and planning on doing one in the future.
Jul 03, 2018, 12:05 PM
Yvan
Yes! This Cherokee will please many people.
Flying the day and at night will be very FUN with this Cherokee.
Yvan
Jul 03, 2018, 01:12 PM
I tried to pre-order and use my PayPal account because I have funds in it. Horizon will not allow you to pre-order and pay with PayPal.
Jul 03, 2018, 01:31 PM
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
TIL that a full-flying horiz stab is called "Stabilator".
http://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=731193
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Jul 03, 2018, 02:28 PM
DFS#000178
Look what was waiting for me when I got home for lunch.

Can't wait to do the unboxing tonight. I've never done one so I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing it. That's assuming my GoPro cooperates.
Jul 03, 2018, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Look what was waiting for me when I got home for lunch.

Can't wait to do the unboxing tonight. I've never done one so I'm trying to figure out the best way of doing it. That's assuming my GoPro cooperates.
She looks pretty and she isn't out of the box yet!

Looks like there is no-skid tape on the flaps. Pretty sure I always had to step over the flap to reach the tape to get in. That is an easy fix.

For the unboxing videos, I start with a little background on the plane or why I choose this particular plane to buy. Get into the unboxing while talking about how things are packed, what the major components, how easy or hard it will be to assemble, and any history that goes along with the plane. I target a few minutes, but end up rambling on for way too long.
Jul 03, 2018, 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRGT350
She looks pretty and she isn't out of the box yet!

Looks like there is no-skid tape on the flaps. Pretty sure I always had to step over the flap to reach the tape to get in. That is an easy fix.
BRGT350,

The plane I modeled does have grip tape on the flap. Not sure I would feel comfortable stepping on it just in case, but N3713K does have it.

I would probably replace with actual wet dry sandpaper for the proper dull gritty appearance.

I have done that on some scale planes of mine.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
Jul 03, 2018, 04:46 PM
Great job as always Matt.
I can’t wait for my pre- order to arrive.
As a long time Cherokee owner, I can tell you that according to the P.O.H. , it is fine to step on the flap as long as it is in the full up position. Also, the grip tape on the flap is correct.

I hope to see this model and chat with the Horizon team at Oshkosh in a few weeks.
Jul 03, 2018, 09:46 PM
DFS#000178
EFlite 1.3m Piper Cherokee BNF Unboxing Video (6 min 21 sec)

This is my first unboxing video and I did it with a GoPro strapped to my forehead. I'm sorry. It's awful. But I tried my best.

Here's a quick 'walk-around' of her built with the lights on. The LEDs are fantastic. Bright and blinky. The LED on the back of the rudder doesn't light up, but I don't see any wires going to it so I'm assuming it's cosmetic only.

EFlite 1.3m Piper Cherokee - The bright, shiny, blinky stuff. (0 min 28 sec)

And some pictures.

A real beauty.

Together with my EFlite Bonanza. They're both gorgeous. Even better-looking together!

The h-stab mounted to the mechanism that actuates it. It's very solid. No play in it at all.

The antenna on the hatch release. Be very, very careful. I already broke mine off. It's very brittle. Mine snapped when I turned the plane over and it caught on my stand.

The LED on the rudder. I think it's just cosmetic? I don't see any wire leads going to it.

All in all, she's wonderful. Exactly what I was hoping for!

EFlite has a history of bringing us gorgeous GA models. I really think this Cherokee is going to fit into that legacy very, very well!
Jul 03, 2018, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly
BRGT350,

The plane I modeled does have grip tape on the flap. Not sure I would feel comfortable stepping on it just in case, but N3713K does have it.

I would probably replace with actual wet dry sandpaper for the proper dull gritty appearance.

I have done that on some scale planes of mine.

Matt Andren
Horizon Hobby
great idea on the sandpaper for the grip area! Yeah, the real plane sure has the grip tape there. I will have to go back and look at the pictures of my grandpa's Arrow to see if it had tape there or if we were always told to step over the flap. I am working on tracking down the owner of my grandpa's old 1966 Cherokee to get some detailed pictures of it so I can make sure I get the model right. I just hope it still has the original paint scheme.
Jul 03, 2018, 10:01 PM
Quote:
And some pictures.

A real beauty.

Together with my EFlite Bonanza. They're both gorgeous. Even better-looking together!

The h-stab mounted to the mechanism that actuates it. It's very solid. No play in it at all.

The antenna on the hatch release. Be very, very careful. I already broke mine off. It's very brittle. Mine snapped when I turned the plane over and it caught on my stand.

The LED on the rudder. I think it's just cosmetic? I don't see any wire leads going to it.

All in all, she's wonderful. Exactly what I was hoping for!

EFlite has a history of bringing us gorgeous GA models. I really think this Cherokee is going to fit into that legacy very, very well!
Great job on the unboxing, and she sure looks beautiful! No doubt this is a home run from E-Flite! Looking forward to your flight review.
Jul 03, 2018, 10:08 PM
Treehouse is Better.
Looks good! A cabin light would have put this plane over the top....
Jul 03, 2018, 10:53 PM
ı ɐɯ uoɹɯɐן
Quote:
I noticed in the promo vid that looked to be a fragile part.

Quote:

That beacon is clearly functional at 1:10 in the promo vid. Sumtings wong wit u plane.

Quick Reply